Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamar's Passing

Lamar's Passing

Just a few thoughts about Lamar's passing last Sunday.

Lamar was 17/24 and apart from 0 TD's and 1 Interception his rating would have been very high. That said, what I notice are the seven incompletions...

His interception on the pass to Boykin was horrible.

His sidearm incompletion to Ricard was also, to use the Biblical language, "not good"

He overthrew Hollywood on a deep pass, but there is some question about whether Hollywood was interfered with or his foot was cramping.

After that: Lamar his Andrews twice, once for a touchdown, but the ball hit the ground. These were either drops or well defended plays.

Bryant slipped and fell on one pass

When Lamar overthrew an open Hollywood late in the 4th quarter I immediately thought that the culprit was Hollywood's catch radius. Duvernay might have caught that pass. Boykin should have. Lamb, definitely.

So my point is Lamar threw the ball well enough to be 20 or 21 out of 24. The issues of Andrews dropping passes and Hollywood being short do not mean that they are not good players, but with further upgrade/development of the receiving corps we may be very hard to stop next year.

But until then - SB or bust.

Re: Lamar's Passing

Yeah the only head-scratcher in my opinion was the interception, you just look at that and wonder what he was thinking, why didn't he send that ball way more towards the sideline? I'm not sure if he answered what happened specifically or not (I remember he called himsef a "dumbass" about that throw, but I'm not sure if he was criticizing his decision to throw it at all, his decision on where to place the ball, or just the quality of the throw itself not being on target for where he intended it). Outside of that throw, his arm was as good as anybody's in that game, no QB throws 23 out of 23 perfect passes, ya know?

Blog Entries

I agree, the plays were there, which is why I said Roman called one of his better games. Players have to make plays

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Yeah the offense didn't play their best and they still won the playoff game, which is encouraging. Can probably say the same about the Bills though.

Blog Entries

lamar's passing???

Don't f'ing scare me like that again!!!
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

The ravens pass the ball to keep the defense honest. Lamar is efficient doing that. Every qb throws picks or a bad pass here and there. So I'm not going act like lamar is the only one like the media loves to portray. Lamar can make plays though the air when it counts, redzone and on 3rd downs.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Don't f'ing scare me like that again!!!
    That headline also made me do a startled double-take.

JT O'Sullivan does an episode of the QB School on Lamar's game against the Titans:

Interesting tidbits on Lamar's footwork coming out of play-action; so after he's turned his back on the defense and then returns to the field. JTO also called out some nicely-designed plays.

Worth watching, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    JT O'Sullivan does an episode of the QB School on Lamar's game against the Titans:

Interesting tidbits on Lamar's footwork coming out of play-action; so after he's turned his back on the defense and then returns to the field. JTO also called out some nicely-designed plays.

Worth watching, as always.
    One thing I've noticed through a lot of videos on the Ravens offense is that guys are open more often than it looks like during the game. I don't think we're gonna get Lamar's recognition to the point where he will consistently find them this year, so we gotta just hope the run game/PA game is enough to do some damage this offseason.

That said, it gives me hope that if Lamar goes through a normal offseason, gets his mechanics in sync, and starts throwing more with anticipation as opposed to always waiting to see things before letting it rip, the passing offense can come back strong next year, especially if they add a legit pass catcher through draft/FA.

Even if NONE of that happens, they need to get a 3rd threat in there that Lamar trusts to throw to. Maybe that magically becomes Boykin after they have some come-to-Jesus moment over the offsesaon, but I would absolutely prioritize bringing in another legitimate pass-catcher this offseason.
    Last edited by s.r.genovese; 01-13-2021 at 06:47 PM.

The INT was the only real blunder. All I want from Lamar as a thrower is to stick to high percentage passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    The INT was the only real blunder. All I want from Lamar as a thrower is to stick to high percentage passes.
    Yeah. I think he was overly conservative which he mentioned in the presser but that kept them in the game until he got rolling. I imagine he is going to have to press the issue more against the Bills because they will score some points. Hopefully he will feel loose now that he won a playoff game.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Yeah. I think he was overly conservative which he mentioned in the presser but that kept them in the game until he got rolling. I imagine he is going to have to press the issue more against the Bills because they will score some points. Hopefully he will feel loose now that he won a playoff game.
    IMO we gotta establish the run first and then take those deep shots later on. Especially against Buffalo.. we gotta run early and often