Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do We Owe Houston a Solid?

Took a look at Derrick Henry's workload this season (already planning for 2021 Fantasy draft), and saw that he had 378 carries during the regular season, cracking the critical 375 carry/season threshold that stereotypically spells doom for RBs.

Then I noticed that he had 34 carries during Week 17 vs. Houston. Didn't pay much attention to that game, but is it possible that that earlier performance left him tapped out for us?

Curious,

BS

Re: Do We Owe Houston a Solid?

Honestly I think we just executed the game plan very well. There is a small percentage that Henry just had an off day it happens but the D was up to the challenge

He had 75 more carries this season than he did last season and that's certainly a difference worth noting. That's Tennessee's fault for not using their #2. I give a ton of credit to our defense for sure as they won at the LOS but I'm sure there was probably a little fatigue as well on Henry. He had 82 carries in his last 3 regular season games.

I said this in another thread and i stand by it: 2000+ yard regular seasons don't leave much gas in the RB's for the playoffs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern_Shore_Fan View Post
    Honestly I think we just executed the game plan very well. There is a small percentage that Henry just had an off day it happens but the D was up to the challenge
    This. watch the tape how they were playing disciplined gap football. They were not going to let him through. He did seem to give up a little which is why I Vrabel was jawing at him on the sidelines
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

When the playoff schedule was set I was hoping for the early Saturday game after seeing Henry with 34 carries. He got an extra day but it didn't help.

Houston game had nothing to do with what our D did. Our D came to play and balled out. Period.
    I bleed purple, Big Truss!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post
    Took a look at Derrick Henry's workload this season (already planning for 2021 Fantasy draft), and saw that he had 378 carries during the regular season, cracking the critical 375 carry/season threshold that stereotypically spells doom for RBs.

Then I noticed that he had 34 carries during Week 17 vs. Houston. Didn't pay much attention to that game, but is it possible that that earlier performance left him tapped out for us?

Curious,

BS
    It's possible, but EDC's moves in the offseason to pick up Campbell and Wolfe, teamed with Brandon Williams, is what stopped Henry. Not to mention the rest of the D like McPhee, etc who had outstanding games. It was a great game plan by Wink to stop Henry and make Tannehill beat them.

Pretty sure this video been shared here, but it explains why the D stopped Henry. The D just had a great game plan and executed. I didn't realize how well Pernell Mcphee played until I saw this video.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/vide...ned-king-henry
    Last edited by ERey; 01-13-2021 at 10:25 AM.

What? We owe our Defense and wink a solid.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Do We Owe Houston a Solid?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    He had 75 more carries this season than he did last season and that's certainly a difference worth noting. That's Tennessee's fault for not using their #2. I give a ton of credit to our defense for sure as they won at the LOS but I'm sure there was probably a little fatigue as well on Henry. He had 82 carries in his last 3 regular season games.
    Cool-x, I agree 100%. IMO you hit on both reasons (a) way too many carries [the week before he carried 34 times/250 yards] that led to possibly sap some of his strength, and (b) the toughness of our defensive front.
    This is why I like the Ravens 3-headed monster of LJ8, Dobbins, and Gus. The ball is spread around keeping their legs somewhat fresh... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSunday View Post

Curious,

BS
    I don't think Henry was warn out, I just think we had the personnel that was required to minimize his impact. It was easy to key on the run since the passing game was also neutralized. And I think the Colts gave us a pretty good blue print in their game with the Bills. The Colts didn't get it done but they should have IMO

12. Re: Do We Owe Houston a Solid?

Not sure how anyone could watch that game and think it had anything to do with him being “worn out”.

It wouldn’t have mattered if it was the second game of the season it would have the same result.

The reason is because it wasn’t about henry. First and foremost it was about the defensive line dominating at the line of scrimmage then the line backers attacking the gaps immediately.

Henry was getting hit in the backfield/line of scrimmage nearly every run play.

What would he have done different if he didn’t run for 200+ in Houston?

Would he be Superman and burst through 3 tackles every play in the backfield?

If you know football there was nothing about Henry that looked fatigued.