Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: High Praise for Eric Decosta

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Because not every team they'll face has Derrick Henry as their main weapon, and the Tits were the perfect match for Judon.

You'll miss a guy like Ngakoue against others though, when you are forced to blitz with 6 guys over and over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    I agree with this, but I also think most teams are sticking with quick passes and short drop backs that neutralize what Ngakoue can do. We'll need him to keep Allen from getting too comfortable in the pocket on Saturday.
    Are you guys willing to gamble an 8 - figure per year, multi-year $alary on that? It's more important if DeCosta would or wouldn't. As of now, I would not. However the Ravens have another critical playoff game so let's see if he comes up roses or wilts under the pressure (?) BTW, I am hoping that I'm wrong and he gets multiple sacks... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Saw this on Twitter yesterday:

Next Gen Stats
    @NextGenStats
    Jan 10, 2021
    https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/sta...29441299148800

I dunno enough about defense to be confident evaluating anybody. But sacks are harder to get now than they've ever been before. It's also valuable to pressure the QB and move him off his spot, rather than just letting him comfortably drop back and throw in rhythm in 2.4 secs.

I think we haven't seen Yannick's full impact, and maybe we won't until next season. I think he has a skill dimension that no other player on the Ravens has. I suspect we keep him & Bowser.
    Your instinct is correct - Yannick has made a difference. Sacks are a small part of the whole picture. You can ask any of the top local analysts about it.

How much his impact is worth, with the reduced salary cap coming up, is another story. I'm of the mind to see how far the Ravens can go this season first and really worry about it later.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    from Tony Lombardi :

" In 9 games with the Ravens, Yannick Ngakoue had registered just 3 sacks. And while he’s pressured quarterbacks and helped to move them out of their comfort zone, it’s safe to say that Martindale expected more production from the Maryland alum. What happens between now and the end of the season for the Ravens will greatly influence whether or not Yannick returns to Baltimore. At this point, Matt Judon looks like a better fit for the Ravens given his versatility and superior ability to set the edge when compared to Ngakoue. "

I couldn't agree more. To me, Ngakoue has disappointed. I wouldn't spend BIG Bucks on him going forward. Problem for DeCosta is that aside from Ngakoue, Judon and McPhee and Bowser are also UFAs in 2021... Bc
    I really thought Yannick would be a bit more electric for us by this point, I gave him a pass for the first few weeks but at this point he should be producing more than just pressures. I will say he's been incredibly unlucky a few times this season. Like in the RZ when Queen wrapped up Tannehill, Yan was fingertips away from a strip sack... could've been a massive play for him to have under his belt as a Raven

Bills game will be his time to shine, they're going to pass a lot, pin the ears back and put your stamp on the game Yan

Blog Entries

Right now Patrick Queen is not looking like a good move. I think Eric is doing a great job and I am happy with the rebuilt defense.

Queen wasn’t good enough to start for LSU his last year there, didn’t start till 4th game or so if I remember correctly, maybe with a full offseason and training camp it will help, but I agree not looking like a great pick at this point like so many predictions had it being

You can tell we're all Ravens fans here. In a thread talking about building a team to beat the Titans and Chiefs every post but one has been about the defensive side of the ball. No one is even talking about the offense. It's quite funny when you notice it.

Defensive improvements worked against the Titans but I think a quality receiver is definitely part of the recipe for beating KC.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    Queen wasn’t good enough to start for LSU his last year there, didn’t start till 4th game or so if I remember correctly, maybe with a full offseason and training camp it will help, but I agree not looking like a great pick at this point like so many predictions had it being
    And yet he was named Defensive MVP in the National Championship game.

The more nuanced the position and responsabilities, the more likely he was to need some time to adjust, moreso after the lack of a full pre-season.

Yea thats what I was saying, perhaps wasn’t ready to start would have been a better choice of words

I've been her greatest critic but I really think she's passed the test....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NOLARavenFAN; 01-14-2021 at 01:52 PM.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Right now Patrick Queen is not looking like a good move. I think Eric is doing a great job and I am happy with the rebuilt defense.
    So sick of this take, he's literally the youngest player on the entire team and has made a ton of impact plays as a rookie. The only reason the Ravens even got him was because he left college a year early in most draft experts opinions. Queen is a top 20 pick all day had he returned to LSU and made these same types of impact plays against lower tier competition. Led the team in tackles and put his stamp on a ton games this season, getting upset that a 21 year old made mistakes as a rookie MIKE is ridiculous, developing talent is a process.

Go watch him ghost Henry and possibly save a TD in one of the biggest turning points in the entire game, that isn't a play that many ILB's are even capable of making, you can't teach that speed/instincts

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    So sick of this take, he's literally the youngest player on the entire team and has made a ton of impact plays as a rookie. The only reason the Ravens even got him was because he left college a year early in most draft experts opinions. Queen is a top 20 pick all day had he returned to LSU and made these same types of impact plays against lower tier competition. Led the team in tackles and put his stamp on a ton games this season, getting upset that a 21 year old made mistakes as a rookie MIKE is ridiculous, developing talent is a process.

Go watch him ghost Henry and possibly save a TD in one of the biggest turning points in the entire game, that isn't a play that many ILB's are even capable of making, you can't teach that speed/instincts

I honestly don't get any of the takes that Queen is anywhere close to being a bad pick. Playing on a team with high expectations and the mythology of defense that he has to contend with, I think he has done quite well. Wink's defense is routinely called one of the most complicated and difficult to execute and every position has multiple responsibilities. He has not only played consistently, but has made splash plays as well, something that has been missing from our ILB position. Yeah, he got exposed against KC, but please, tell me who hasn't. And yes, he's a freaking rookie and only 21. Didn't have a real off season or preseason to get ready to be baptized by fire and he's still making impact plays. I know everyone sees the game differently and is of course entitled to their own opinions, but to say Queen was a bad pick is simply absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post

They reduced Queen's snaps last week so uh that should tell you how great he's playing. At this point you only hear from him if he's making splash plays or blowing run fits or coverage.

Also the entire brain trust of this team still needs to figure out an offensive scheme where they can play from behind schedule on downs. That is the last piece to put in place before you can consider this team as a legit contender. DeCosta hasn't proven that yet with this year's team.