Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Blog Entries

Re: High praise for Ravens coaching staff

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I agree the Wink has done the most with the least -- by far. Frankly, we are fortunate to have had such great defensive minds around this team. I'd take any of the top three in a heartbeat.

No matter how much talent Marvin had, it's hard to discount the guy who coordinated the greatest defense in the history of the NFL. Marvin was actually a pretty bland coordinator. He knew what he had and he didn't overthink it. He just let his horses run.

Rex was the most entertaining by far. LOVED to watch those defenses. You never knew what was coming. Organized chaos at its finest. Rex was a mad scientist and the most creative defensive coordinator I have ever seen. You can see a lot of Rex's philosophy in Wink.

Pags was only here one year, and he inherited a loaded defense. He has looked a lot less genius as the Bears DC the past two years. He also put out some pretty poor defenses in Indy. I wouldn't include him with the other three.

Of course, as head coaches, Marvin's defenses in Cincy were really bad early on, and Rex's defenses in Buffalo were average at best. At the end of the day it does come down to the players. No one can get blood from a stone. But Wink is very good at figuring out what players do well, and accentuating that while hiding their weaknesses.
    Without a DE that produces sacks consistently

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Wink is better than Rex. He's got the same virtues as Rex (aggressiveness, leadership/personality, scheme) and less of his weaknesses. Wink is sounder with coverage (this year's KC game notwithstanding), and he's better at in-game adjustments.

Frankly, Wink is one of the best coaches with in-game adjustments that I've EVER seen. He's tremendous with it.

Kubiak is not top 5 among Ravens coordinators. He ruined Joe. Also benefitted from an easy slate of opposing defenses. BUT, great running game coach. Really great. That part of what he brought was excellent.
    I’d love to understand how Kubiak ruined Joe. The worst thing that happened to Joe and our offense was Elway convincing him to take their head coaching gig for a year.

Blog Entries

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    Ravens defensive staff taking some hits: LB coach Mike Macdonald has been hired as DC at Michigan. DL Joe Cullen interviewing for role on Urban Meyer's staff in Jacksonville. DBs coach Jesse Minter could be headed to Vanderbilt for defensive coordinator job. Could be others, too.
    9:43 PM · Jan 18, 2021

Our defensive staff is getting poached. If this third defection is confirmed I think we need to hope that Martindale stays!

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I’d love to understand how Kubiak ruined Joe.
    Took away the deep ball, permanentaly reducing Joe's yards-per-attempt, and gave us Captain Checkdown.
    Spelled out here:

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Kubiak is not top 5 among Ravens coordinators.
    Forgot to follow this up. The top 5 coordinators in Ravens history:
    (in some order)

• Wink
    • Marvin
    • Rexy
    • Kirk Ferentz
    • Roman

Yeah ook 🤣🤣🤣

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Our defensive staff is getting poached. If this third defection is confirmed I think we need to hope that Martindale stays!
    Minter is gone

Blog Entries

I don’t know what Ann Arbor is talking about. He has always seemed to Debbie down the offense’s 2014 season in a variety of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I don’t know what Zippy is talking about. He has always seemed to Debbie down the offense’s 2014 season in a variety of ways.
    Just one way. The full-season stats for the passing offense were inflated by the four games against the historically bad defenses of that year's NFC South. Hilariously, in those four games Joe was statistically better than during his four-game postseason run in 2012! That should be a clue right there that something is off. (Along with the commentary all season about that division.)

It was a great rushing offense. Kubes and his guys coached the hell out of that zone stretch, and got career performances out of Justin Forsett and that OL. And they had an excellent game against New England in the playoffs (unlike Dean Pees' defense).

But it was not as good a passing offense as Ravens fans tend to remember it. It was actually a below-average season for Joe – except for the four games against the NFC South.