Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: High praise for Ravens coaching staff

Some not so high praise from Kurt Warner.

https://twitter.com/kurt13warner/sta...883157504?s=20

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Yeah, scoring points and winning games gets really tiresome after awhile.
    Also Frank Reich by all accounts was the brains behind the Eagles super bowl offense. I have zero interest in Pederson.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post

Looks like a some "coverage" sacks due to poor play design &/or execution

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jam31; 01-14-2021 at 10:50 PM.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    No one is as good as Belichick.

But Harbs isnt any lower than the next tier.
    and he did it without cheating.

Is Wink Martindale the best coordinator we’ve ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The 2001 game was @Miami.
    yer right. we were a WC (as usual)

after that the NEPs won most every year.
    (Dolphins won AFC East in 2008 and we went down there and beat them again)

originally posted by Schrubb
    NO. Rex, Pagano, Marvin Lewis (in no particular order)
    maybe Kubiak on Offense
    Last edited by sailorsam; 01-15-2021 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add content
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    yer right. we were a WC (as usual)

after that the NEPs won most every year.
    (Dolphins won AFC East in 2008 and we went down there and beat them again)

maybe Kubiak on Offense
    I'm gonna disagree. The names you mentioned above had first ballot HOFers on defense and were almost always loaded with talent around those players. I guess one could argue that those coordinators helped to make those guys into great players...but I think it's a weak argument. Wink has done this during an area that is severely tilted towards offense and minor contact is routinely flagged. He also doesn't have anywhere close to the talent his predecessors had.

Marvin had Ray, Goose, Sam Adams, McCrary, Burnett, Boulware, Sharper, Starks, McCallister and Rod Woodson
    Rex had Ray, Ed, Cmac, Suggs, Ngata, Adalius Thomas, Kelly Greg, Bart Scott
    Pagano had Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, McPhee, Jarrett Johnson, Authur Jones, L Webb(pre-injuries)

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I'm gonna disagree. The names you mentioned above had first ballot HOFers on defense and were almost always loaded with talent around those players. I guess one could argue that those coordinators helped to make those guys into great players...but I think it's a weak argument. Wink has done this during an area that is severely tilted towards offense and minor contact is routinely flagged. He also doesn't have anywhere close to the talent his predecessors had.

Marvin had Ray, Goose, Sam Adams, McCrary, Burnett, Boulware, Sharper, Starks, McCallister and Rod Woodson
    Rex had Ray, Ed, Cmac, Suggs, Ngata, Adalius Thomas, Kelly Greg, Bart Scott
    Pagano had Ray, Ed, Suggs, Ngata, McPhee, Jarrett Johnson, Authur Jones, L Webb(pre-injuries)
    I agree the Wink has done the most with the least -- by far. Frankly, we are fortunate to have had such great defensive minds around this team. I'd take any of the top three in a heartbeat.

No matter how much talent Marvin had, it's hard to discount the guy who coordinated the greatest defense in the history of the NFL. Marvin was actually a pretty bland coordinator. He knew what he had and he didn't overthink it. He just let his horses run.

Rex was the most entertaining by far. LOVED to watch those defenses. You never knew what was coming. Organized chaos at its finest. Rex was a mad scientist and the most creative defensive coordinator I have ever seen. You can see a lot of Rex's philosophy in Wink.

Pags was only here one year, and he inherited a loaded defense. He has looked a lot less genius as the Bears DC the past two years. He also put out some pretty poor defenses in Indy. I wouldn't include him with the other three.

Of course, as head coaches, Marvin's defenses in Cincy were really bad early on, and Rex's defenses in Buffalo were average at best. At the end of the day it does come down to the players. No one can get blood from a stone. But Wink is very good at figuring out what players do well, and accentuating that while hiding their weaknesses.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Pagano's run after us was not very impressive. I think he was lucky to inherit a talented defense. Can't argue with Marvin - they were talented but any coordinator who presides over the best defense in NFL history is doing something right.

Rex's ceiling was higher than Wink's but the floor was also lower. Not sure who I would prefer between Wink and Rex.

So I think Lewis is better than Wink and Rex is debatable. So at worst he's the 3rd best coordinator they have ever had.

Pagano's run after us was not very impressive. I think he was lucky to inherit a talented defense. Can't argue with Marvin - they were talented but any coordinator who presides over the best defense in NFL history is doing something right.

Rex's ceiling was higher than Wink's but the floor was also lower. Not sure who I would prefer between Wink and Rex.

So I think Lewis is better than Wink and Rex is debatable. So at worst he's the 3rd best coordinator they have ever had.
    Ask yourself this...what could Wink do with a prime Ed, Ray, Sizzle, Ngata? And What could Rex, Marvin, Chuck do with the players we've had on defense the past 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    maybe Kubiak on Offense
    Wink is better than Rex. He's got the same virtues as Rex (aggressiveness, leadership/personality, scheme) and less of his weaknesses. Wink is sounder with coverage (this year's KC game notwithstanding), and he's better at in-game adjustments.

Frankly, Wink is one of the best coaches with in-game adjustments that I've EVER seen. He's tremendous with it.

Kubiak is not top 5 among Ravens coordinators. He ruined Joe. Also benefitted from an easy slate of opposing defenses. BUT, great running game coach. Really great. That part of what he brought was excellent.