Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

OT: Polar Vortex

Apparently at the end of December and earlier this week there was a lot of heating in the stratosphere at the north pole and the polar vortex may cleave in 2. When that happens, as it has before, it breaks apart from the normal tight spiral (no pun intended) that keeps the cold air over the pole and waves of frigid air can move down into the Mid Atlantic. Those conditions are favorable for large snow storms and erratic weather.

I think we are hopefully good through the divisional game which is in Buffalo. Things could get interesting for the conference championships though i.e. snow and cold temps.

In general for us here in Maryland it may mean some big storms and cold temps in the latter half of January and through February.

I saw this yesterday and thought I'd throw it out here.

Re: OT: Polar Vortex

Bad news for dome teams and warm weather teams. Thankfully the Ravens are not one of them.

Blog Entries

Bad news for all of us who hate big winter snow storms. Hopefully it doesn't happen

I love the snow.

I'd like to see one really good snowstorm this winter...
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

I noticed I seemed too make a big presumption about the divisional game., lol. Disregard that. I was more thinking about possible games in Buffalo and Green Bay in the coming weeks. Could be some nasty weather in those places.

Now that the holidays are over, I'm ready for spring weather!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Getting to work in the snow or trying to get home is the worst. We had 1 storm around Thanksgiving in 2018 where it took me 9 hours to go 37 miles. What a nightmare that was. I really don't want to deal with that ever again

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Getting to work in the snow or trying to get home is the worst. We had 1 storm around Thanksgiving in 2018 where it took me 9 hours to go 37 miles. What a nightmare that was. I really don't want to deal with that ever again
    Just noticed where you're located. I absolutely get where you are coming from. I spent over 8 years of my life (HS and college) living in North Dakota. Winters like that suck. Here in the mid-Atlantic, winter is more of a tease...
    "Once a Raven, always a Raven" - Q

Blog Entries

I'm wearing flip flops

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Bad news for all of us who hate big winter snow storms. Hopefully it doesn't happen
    Here's hoping that we don't have another Blizzard of 2009* - Baltimore's biggest December snowfall on record. The December 20, 2009 Ravens vs. Bears game was delayed, but still played, after over a thousand workers dug out the snow-covered field and stands. See: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/phot...5-f2640f4fe194. We got up to 24 inches in Anne Arundel County, DC had 31 inches, and Baltimore city got 16" to 20". Jail prisoners were temporarily released to sleepover in the club section, to remove the snow from seats.

Coincidentally, we were being visited by Hans Steiniger of "Quest for 31" (travelling to all the NFL venues) who drove through the blizzard from Buffalo in a HumVee. The first and fifth photos in Hans article are of our tailgate group, when our group, a.k.a the "Official" Ravens 24x7 tailgaters, had leased an entire small tailgate lot near Lot H. See: http://www.questfor31.com/M&T-Bank-Stadium-Dec09.htm

* not to be confused with the "Snowmageddon", which hit two months later, dumping 60 inches on parts of Anne Arundel County over three days.
    Last edited by Mista T; 01-08-2021 at 09:43 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Here's hoping that we don't have another Blizzard of 2009* - Baltimore's biggest December snowfall on record. The December 20, 2009 Ravens vs. Bears game was delayed, but still played, after over a thousand workers dug out the snow-covered field and stands. See: https://www.baltimoreravens.com/phot...5-f2640f4fe194. We got up to 24 inches in Anne Arundel County, DC had 31 inches, and Baltimore city got 16" to 20". Jail prisoners were temporarily released to sleepover in the club section, to remove the snow from seats.

Coincidentally, we were being visited by Hans Steiniger of "Quest for 31" (travelling to all the NFL venues) who drove through the blizzard from Buffalo in a HumVee. The first and fifth photos in Hans article are of our tailgate group, when our group, a.k.a the "Official" Ravens 24x7 tailgaters, had leased an entire small tailgate lot near Lot H. See: http://www.questfor31.com/M&T-Bank-Stadium-Dec09.htm

* not to be confused with the "Snowmageddon", which hit two months later, dumping 60 inches on parts of Anne Arundel County over three days.
    Awesome story! Thanks for posting this. It's fun to read about but not so fun when you are living through these things