Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 121314

Re: The Responsibility of Natural Gifts

Nice piece from Zrebiec today about Lamar's struggles and bounce-back this season. There's a little bit in the middle about Lamar's offseason work with Josh Harris:

‘Bring the attack to them.’ After an epiphany, Lamar Jackson is back in MVP form
    by Jeff Zrebiec · 1/8/2021
    https://theathletic.com/2309677/2021...avens-playoffs
    Harris and Jackson devised a plan for some of the things that the quarterback needed to work on this past offseason. Jackson wanted to threaten teams more downfield and make more chunk plays in the passing game. Harris is always harping on consistent fundamentals to Jackson.

However, due to the challenges of getting together and working out with the various COVID-19 rules and protocols in place, Harris estimated that he and Jackson only did about “10 percent” of the work that they had done the previous year.

“At some point when all the things were going on, one of the things I wanted to see earlier in the season was how would he adapt,” Harris said “We weren’t making the process fundamentally that was ideal, but I also knew the circumstances with the truncated offseason and we weren’t able to do the things that we needed to do.”
    Last edited by JimZipCode; 02-17-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Nice piece from Zrebiec today about Lamar's struggles and bounce-back this season. There's a little bit in the middle about Lamar's offseason work with Josh Harris:

‘Bring the attack to them.’ After an epiphany, Lamar Jackson is back in MVP form
    by Jeff Zrebiec · 1/8/2020
    Good article, but that's not new info for many of us.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

by Jeff Zrebiec · 1/8/2020
    Not surprising. I thought the pandemic might have screwed with his development and mental state as well. Hard year for everyone. I have a kid that is not the same right now in this distance learning environment. he just turned 24. Kids less than 10 years older than my youngest. She can't take private swim lessons and her stroke is getting messed up. She was probably a top 5 breast stroker in the state for her age group prior to covid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    ...I have a kid that is not the same right now in this distance learning environment. he just turned 24. Kids less than 10 years older than my youngest. She can't take private swim lessons and her stroke is getting messed up. She was probably a top 5 breast stroker in the state for her age group prior to covid.
    Sorry to hear that....tough situation. My sons had it the hardest during the height of the early days of covid when they took down the basketball rims and tennis court nets. On the bright side, "muscle has memory" hopefully she'll get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Not surprising. I thought the pandemic might have screwed with his development and mental state as well. Hard year for everyone.
    Tip of the cap to the NFL QB coaches that were able to develop their rookie QBs and maintain or improve the fundamentals of their respective QBs.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Tip of the cap to the NFL QB coaches that were able to develop their rookie QBs and maintain or improve the fundamentals of their respective QBs.
    Ed throwing shade! BOOM!

Blog Entries

Ed throwing shade! BOOM!
    Lol, yeah kinda....but to be clear not throwing shade at BustOfPallas.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lol, yeah kinda – but to be clear not throwing shade at BustOfPallas.
    Oh no. That was an unmistakable punking of James Urban. No one else.

Blog Entries

Coaches that don't utilize their players best attributes don't last long as coaches. Coaches that don't coach up secondary attributes also don't last very long.

LJ8 didn't have a 'real' off season coming into the 2020 season and didn't have any OTA's or other team on field activities until the start of camp. A passing game takes a lot of work on timing and anticipation of all parties involved. That didn't happen in 2020.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Coaches that don't utilize their players best attributes don't last long as coaches. Coaches that don't coach up secondary attributes also don't last very long.

LJ8 didn't have a 'real' off season coming into the 2020 season and didn't have any OTA's or other team on field activities until the start of camp. A passing game takes a lot of work on timing and anticipation of all parties involved. That didn't happen in 2020.
    Yes, but *every* QB was in the same situation. Heck, some had it worse: Rookies QBs, QB with a new offensive scheme, QBs with entirely new staffs.

The fact is despite the covid offseason some teams/QBs not only maintained but *improved*. That’s what makes watching Lamar’s regression in fundamentals and mechanics of the rhythm dropback passing game so frustrating.

I would bet that is part of the reason Tee Martin is here.

I don't blame the coaches as much as the player. Over the years at every level they have been such a superior athlete that they never had to refine their game as a pocket passer. They typically do not think about longevity and injury until they get the NFL. At that time they have years of habits that they need to change. The only way Peyton Manning was going to be successful in football is if he was the best pocket passer. He was slow as molasses. Lamar's athleticism has allowed him to be successful at every level without having to focus on the finer points of being a QB. If he doesn't read the defense correctly and drops back he can still ad lib and make it a successful play.

It has be really hard to not run when you know you can make amazing things happen. Coaches get paid to win games. The player needs to focus on his own development with his future in mind.