Here is every intended receiver from the game vs Steelers:

Player YPT
    Marquise 10.6
    Duvernay 6.7
    Justice 2.5
    Dez 0.0
    Luke Willson 0.0
    Proche 0.0
    I guess we all hope that Marquise "broke thru" in this game. The counter-argument is, other than the defensive breakdown at the end of the game, Marquise was sitting on 2.1 yards-per-target, his 4th awful game in the last 5. But then the counter-counter is, the whole point of game-breaking speed is to punish defensive mistakes.

I dunno.

Target Distribution

WR Targ TE Targ RB Targ
    Marquise 67 Mandrews 60 Dobbins 22
    Snead 40 Boyle 17 Ingram 7
    Boykin 23 Luke Willson 2 Gus 7
    Duvernay 23 Ricard 7
    Dez 7 Justice 3
    Proche 3
    — — — — — —
    163 79 46
    WR 56.6% TE 27.4% RB 16.0%
    Last Year: 42.9% Last Year: 42.5% Last Year: 14.6%
    NFL avg: 60% NFL avg: 21% NFL avg: 20%

One more new name on the targets list this week.

Alright goddammit, I'll just say one last thing about Boykin.

Look at Duvernay's targets. I think most fans here agree that Duvernay has been under-utilized, right? Most would have rather seen Duvernay get more targets on the season so far? Thru 11 games now, Duvernay has more targets than Boykin got thru all of last season. So whatever we've been doing to bring along this year's 3rd-rd WR and get production out of him, is still much more per-game than we did to bring along last year's 3rd-rd WR and get production out of him.

That's ridiculous. It's capricious, arbitrary, careless. Irresponsible.

Just for funsies, here's Boykin vs Duvernay thru the first 11 games of their rookie seasons:

Thru 11 games of rookie season
    Player Targ Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/Targ
    Miles Boykin 18 11 185 16.8 2 10.3
    Devin Duvernay 23 18 199 11.1 0 8.7

Duvernay with the higher catch%; but that includes some jet sweeps and I think screens. Boykin was head-up on the cornerback.
    (Boykin also tailed off badly after game 11 last year, but hush.)

We're going to give up on Boykin and wind up letting him walk. But where, really, was the opportunity?
    How are we ever going to develop any #2 or #3 WR, without giving them reps & targets?
    Y'all don't think we're using Duvernay enough; it's the exact same question.

Ok, that's my last word on it. I'm off the topic until something changes (we either use him or move him).

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens pass-catchers thru 11

Boykin vs Duvernay this year:

Thru today
    Player Targ Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/Targ REC% Drops/Drp Grd
    Miles Boykin 23 14 153 10.9 1 6.7 64 0 / 81
    Devin Duvernay 23 18 199 11.1 0 8.7 82 1 / 70

Quote Originally Posted by JZC
    Duvernay with the higher catch%; but that includes some jet sweeps and I think screens. Boykin was head-up on the cornerback.

We're going to give up on Boykin and wind up letting him walk. But where, really, was the opportunity?
    How are we ever going to develop any #2 or #3 WR, without giving them reps & targets?

Ok, that's my last word on it. I'm off the topic until something changes (we either use him or move him).
    Good work once again JZ. I added their reception % and drop grade.

2 receivers with similar production but playing in vastly different roles with vastly different perceptions.

Context matters.

Duvernay's receptions mainly come from the slot and they consist of a bunch of screens, pitch passes to go along with some uncontested short slant routes that were basically screens. Basically easy receptions.

The bulk of Miles routes come from lining up as an outside receiver and actually having to beat a CB that is contesting the route.

Boykin has a lower catch rate because the degree of difficulty of the throw is harder because when you look at the drop rate Boykin is the only receiver on the roster without a drop. The delta between his reception % and his drop % speaks to the 'fault' of the failed reception are due to other factors. The irony is the last time Boykin received targets he made 2 difficult diving catches (1 for a TD); he was open on his 3rd target but it was a incomplete (which lowers his reception %) Boykin got open but the pass was thrown behind him.
    Last edited by edromeo; 12-08-2020 at 01:16 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

This is some really good analysis. I agree, how can we expect any receivers to develop if we don't give them the targets. It seems like the mental game and confidence is very important in the wr position and by reducing the opportunities there is not enough margin for errors or rough patches which are a necessary part of player growth. Side note: Maybe the mental aspect of the game is why the so called "diva" wrs are among the most successful as they can tune out the noise by believing in themselves to the point of being delusional

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

I agree. Everyone and their dog knew that the Ravens needed more passes to WRs and to the outside this season and they haven't done it at all. What really infuriates me is that they've barely even tried it.

It's rare that I don't feel jealous when I watch other team's offensive schemes these days. Even if they don't have the players, most teams at least seem to try to create advantages. The Ravens are doing nothing whatsoever to make the players lives easier.

The league has managed to stop the Ravens' foundational play of RB up the middle/Lamar to the outside that made everything else work last season and how has Roman adapted?

His plan B seems to consist of Lamar diving between the tackles or running around until someone either opens up in the middle of the field or he gets sacked.

That seems to be the offensive identity of the 2020 Ravens and it makes all those old predictions that Lamar will inevitably get injured much more likely. All those hits on sacks and dives up the middle are adding up.

No one's going to develop in an offense like that and we can see the evidence in the almost across the board regression of the Ravens offensive players.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Boykin vs Duvernay this year:

I added their reception % and drop grade.
    Any chance you could relabel that last column? The way it's written, looks like Boykin has 81 drops vs Duvernay's 70.

Maybe "Drp Grd" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Any chance you could relabel that last column? The way it's written, looks like Boykin has 81 drops vs Duvernay's 70.

Maybe "Drp Grd" or something?
    I bet a few people around here could believe that Boykin has 81 drops on 23 targets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I bet a few people around here could believe that Boykin has 81 drops on 23 targets.
    Lol, true.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said