Re: Harbaugh VS Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Was never a coordinator?
    Run game coordinator and Harbaugh’s pal

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Was never a coordinator?
    Oh wait, was he "Run Game Coordinator"??

Ok. I don't usually consider that the same – just as I think Roman, and not Culley, is our only OC this year – but yeah, fair.

Motherfucking Castillo. I am dying to know what the story is/was with that guy. Was a time when he was EXTREMELY well regarded as a coach. But it is a fact that the only years where Ravens O-lines have underperformed, were exactly the years when that guy was in the building. I have never cheered so hard for addition by subtraction as when Harbs let him walk. Good riddance.

But it's still a mystery. How was his rep so good?? Was he good at one time and then went off the deep end? Styles didn't mesh? What the hell?

I had put that fucker right out of my mind.

Andy Reid's pal, too. Remember Reid let him play Defensive Coordinator, for their dream team season.

He's back in the league again! OL coach for the Bears! Holy shit.

It's that Andy Reid tree again. Matt Nagy overlapped w Castillo in Philly, 2008-12.

(Other ex-Ravens there include Chucky P and Ted Monachino. The NFL's a small world.)

Tomlin appears to be a slightly better coach in game He's a better tactician and just on the fly he manages the game better..... As far as the rest goes I'd say it's a toss-up....

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davesta View Post
    Counter-point:

Harbs playoff successes coincided with ravens first ballot HoFers Ray Lewis and Ed Reed.

After those 2 left, we either missed the playoffs or got bounced first game in.
    Except for 2014 where they beat Pittsburgh in the Wild Card and then nearly beat New England in the divisional. But at the end of the day I think what we're saying is coaches need players to win.

Blog Entries

Oh wait, was he "Run Game Coordinator"??

Ok. I don't usually consider that the same – just as I think Roman, and not Culley, is our only OC this year – but yeah, fair.

Motherfucking Castillo. I am dying to know what the story is/was with that guy. Was a time when he was EXTREMELY well regarded as a coach. But it is a fact that the only years where Ravens O-lines have underperformed, were exactly the years when that guy was in the building. I have never cheered so hard for addition by subtraction as when Harbs let him walk. Good riddance.

But it's still a mystery. How was his rep so good?? Was he good at one time and then went off the deep end? Styles didn't mesh? What the hell?
    well he was a linebacker and when he went in to coaching he coached linebackers and DBs. He switched to Oline in college and did well.
    I remember at Philly he coached all over the place - TEs, Oline, and eventually the defensive coordinator.

IIRC he was a scapegoat somewhat for that poor defense....

None of this may be what you were interested in, just remembering how this guy bounced

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Can we take a look at the way these two approach their jobs? To have a rational conversation we need to take off our biased, purple colored glasses. Does anyone prefer Harbs style over this guys?
    I get all the adversity that the Ravens had to deal with over the past 10 days and yes they put up a good fight but how many times after a loss do we hear Harbs make excuses?

Did anyone hear Tomlin yesterday? He said his team played very JV like. To answer about dropped balls he said it was from them sucking. This guy gets it! If that was the Ravens in the Steelers situation we would have heard that bullshit from Harbs about he loved how our guys competed and it was ugly but it was us bullshit.

I know this can be perceived as calling out the players but often Tomlin will blame himself. Harbs don’t blame himself or coaching staff.

If you were a player and a fan who would you want as your coach?

I’m taking Tomlin 10 out of 10 times. I hate the Steelers but I love this dude! I’ve said years ago that he was the second best coach in football. He gets the job done year in and year out yet Steelers fans want him out. I don’t know why!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So when Harbaugh was 14-2 and LJ8 was MVP, John was 'coach of the year.' When Tomlin had back ups playing QB, Rudolph and Duck the Steelers didn't make the playoffs. Coaches get too much credit and blame based on their personnel. I don't like certain characteristics of either. Tomlin tends to pontificate and wordsmith, and Harbaugh sticks with guys too long, and has lapses in-games that drive me nuts. With that said as critical as I have been over the years, they are two of the better in this league. Records aside, the HC has to rule like a CEO. Belichick, Carrol, Reid, Payton, Tomlin and Harbaugh are guys that for the most part have earned their stripes. And have done so with tenure..... Shanahan and McVay in right behind them. I also like what LaFluer, McDermott, Flores and Vrabel have done. When the dust clears, the players and front office stability have a big role how a coach is perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    They about the same damn coach really.
    That's what I was thinking. Harbaugh comes off as more "CEO" while Tomlin comes off more as "one of the guys" but at the end of the day they're more figure head than X's and O's.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    He’s hit or miss, much like the rest of the league. He’s certainly no worse than average in this regard. People simply watch every down of this team play and all the bonehead moves are front and center compared to other teams.

Tonkin almost lost to Baltimore’s JV team and we get this thread... for example... and did lose the RG3 last year...

I will agree that watching every down and following more closely to the Ravens is a difference maker.
    Let’s not act like the Ravens under Harbaugh haven’t lost to some JV teams especially when he had Flacco.

Blog Entries

This whole thread is non-sense. Last year Harbaugh was a genius because he went outside the box at QB and brought in Roman to build an offense for LJ. Meanwhile, Tomlin's Steelers lost to the LJ-less JV squad while fighting for the playoff lives in week 17. Tomlin's Steelers were coming off two straight years of missing the playoffs.

I don't know if Harbaugh is better than Tomlin or vice versa. But when a guy is with one organization for as long as these two have been, there is an ebb and flow to their careers. Sometimes your up and sometimes your down. Harbaugh was down after winning his SB, he went back up the last two years and right now his position is to be determined. Tomlin was down the last few years, now he is up. It is just the nature of the NFL.