Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Harbaugh VS Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Lol. Steeler fans I know want Tomlin gone. The grass is always greener. Tomlin is a good coach, but he’s had a first ballot HOFamer as his QB the whole time. Harbaugh had to remake the team several times depending on the players. I’ll take Harbaugh over Tomlin.

Maybe Harbaugh will unleash hell the rest of the season. Lol

Edit - I’ll give Tomlin credit. I’ve never seen John Harbaugh stand on the field and block an opposing player from scoring a TD.
    I had said that I know Steeler fans want him gone. Any I dont follow them nearly as close as I do the Ravens but from what I’ve seen and learned over the years I would love to have him as my coach.
    Maybe it’s the grass is greener or maybe it’s just I dont see enough to be able to form a educational and informative opinion. I just like that his undefeated team has a shit game and he called a spade a spade and has done so for years.
    I’m taking Tomlin over Harbs.

Has Tomlin ever went to midfield and stood tall for a team disrespecting the logo?
    Coaches are competitive too. They can make mistakes and look stupid doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Get outta here. Harbaugh never tried to personally trip a steeler en route to clear Td.

The OP can love him all he wants but that shit is whack to me.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    So that one thing is why you take Harbaugh? Lol. That’s cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    He’s a lot of bluster and bravado, but they’ve been in a playoff drought for a few years so it’s not as though his act is working all that well. Certainly they’re having a good season, but Tomlin should take some responsibility for AB and Bell and some of those types of things that he lets happen also.
    Somehow I missed the AB and Bell comment. What is he responsible for with them two?

One thing I give Tomlin credit for is managing Big Ben. The stories we have heard about how terrible of a teammate he is I'm shocked there isn't more AB like freak outs with him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Somehow I missed the AB and Bell comment. What is he responsible for with them two?

Letting them be bigger than the team and overlooking diva behavior from his star players. I remember a time when I lived in Baltimore that nearly every player had their own radio show. I seem to remember Harbaugh reeling that in some which is probably a good idea. Ben goes on the radio, shoots his mouth off, creates strife, and doesn’t face any consequences for it. That’s on Tomlin to control.

Blog Entries

The only major difference I see between the two is that Tomlin was more open to building his offense around the pass, and welcomed guys in to make that happen and backed it.

They are both Manager types who let their coordinators do their thing. They are both motivational types. They both have questionable, how do you say, well, both have former veterans who did not, and do not think highly of their style. Polamalu doesn’t care for Tomlin. Reed can be cordial with Harbaugh, but doesn’t care for him either. Just to name a couple.

There really aren’t many glaring differences between the two. Tomlin definitely has his faults, but having spent a little time in Pittsburgh, I always sensed that the issues of fans there with him had ‘some’ ‘overtones’ to it.

All in all, they aren’t far apart. I would say that a Harbaugh led team is more likely to fall short in a big game. Whereas, a Tomlin led team is more likely to slip up against an inferior foe or look past one.

Blog Entries

The one bit of insight I would like is to find out just how much of Tomlin backing Ben was organizational and how much was personal preference. Did Tomlin want Ben gone, only for the Rooneys to say no? Tomlin backing Ben was the cause of a LOT of issues there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    They about the same damn coach really.

Both of them are CEO coaches that thoroughly use their OC and DCs to do the Xs and Os. Both of their strengths are figuring out ways to lead. Both carry similar team philosophies, though Ben Roethlisberger constantly tries to get Pittsburgh into a spread offense (these days it seems like he's winning the argument).

As far as statistics go, Tomlin's ahead by a small margin.

Tomlin: 14 seasons, 144-74-1 (.660), 8-7 playoff record, 1 championship, 2 AFC championships, 6 division titles (soon to be 7)
    Harbaugh: 13 seasons, 124-79-0 (.611), 10-7 playoff record, 1 championship, 4 division titles

Can we take a look at the way these two approach their jobs? To have a rational conversation we need to take off our biased, purple colored glasses. Does anyone prefer Harbs style over this guys?
    I get all the adversity that the Ravens had to deal with over the past 10 days and yes they put up a good fight but how many times after a loss do we hear Harbs make excuses?

Did anyone hear Tomlin yesterday? He said his team played very JV like. To answer about dropped balls he said it was from them sucking. This guy gets it! If that was the Ravens in the Steelers situation we would have heard that bullshit from Harbs about he loved how our guys competed and it was ugly but it was us bullshit.

I know this can be perceived as calling out the players but often Tomlin will blame himself. Harbs don’t blame himself or coaching staff.

If you were a player and a fan who would you want as your coach?

I’m taking Tomlin 10 out of 10 times. I hate the Steelers but I love this dude! I’ve said years ago that he was the second best coach in football. He gets the job done year in and year out yet Steelers fans want him out. I don’t know why!
    Like everyone else says, they're very similar coaches.

It's really just their approach to communication that's different. Harbaugh has a more upbeat positive style, while Tomlin takes a more no nonsense hardass stance. I can see why Harbaugh's look for the positives style might annoy some people after a defeat and make them think he's somehow less serious than Tomlin but frankly I think that's silly. People can only be who they are and I don't think one approach is necessarily superior to another.

The main reason the Steelers have won more games during their tenures is that the Steelers Front Office has outperformed the Ravens, in that they've pretty consistently had a more talented roster to go along with their HoF QB.

Given all that, I think Harbaugh has actually coached better than Tomlin most years. The Ravens have very rarely underperformed given the players available, whereas, a few years ago, Tomlin had the most talented roster in the whole NFL for about 3 seasons without many playoff wins to show for it.

In short, they both have flaws but they're both good coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I took his comment to be a slight on the Ravens; he won't give them credit for playing hard he just says his guys played bad.
    Bingo. Amazing the OP doesn't see this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Bingo. Amazing the OP doesn't see this.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    How would crediting us benefit his team in any way? I’d definitely make it about my team too.

Do you trust that Harbs picks the best assistants for the team? A lot of his hires are all his buddies or friends of the family.

He’s hit or miss, much like the rest of the league. He’s certainly no worse than average in this regard. People simply watch every down of this team play and all the bonehead moves are front and center compared to other teams.

Tonkin almost lost to Baltimore’s JV team and we get this thread... for example... and did lose the RG3 last year...