Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Trace McSorley

Re: Trace McSorley

BTW - where are the GIFs? I demand GIFs

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status...080442371?s=19

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Now officially the second worst active rostered qb in the Association...bookended by....

I'd be willing to bet anything that this thread does numbers higher than the Boykins thread. *smh*

Blog Entries

If nothing else, with him going on IR at least we never have to see Bob take snaps at QB for the Ravens again. Trace is not likely to be worse than 33 yards of passing.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I like all our QBs.

Based on the circumstances I think Griffin played better then people are giving him credit for.
    7-12 under a ton of pressure. Running the same passing scheme without the benefit of the Andrews or Snead or an outside threat.

Griffin and Gus botched a snap, that's bad on Griffin.
    He threw an interception when he got fooled on coverage.(by the way that route concept on the interception is concept they run in their opening script often...they threw it to Proche recents, Snead and Boykin)
    So I wouldn't be surprised if Haden jumped that route based on film study.
    Also, I'm sure that interception was a talking point that helped McSorely later in the game.

But did anyone expect a sharp offense with limited practices? Especially given the offense hasn't been sharp when they were at 'full strength'?

The rest of the game he decent. Limited scheme, procedural penalties, receivers not open, Dez falling to the ground, Hollywood getting a hand on sideline wheel route but not being able to make the play, dropped TD pass and standing in there under constant pressure.

He was able to come through doing what this limited scheme does best...QB run.

Trace was 2-6 made a nice throw where the DB missed the tackle and Hollywood was able to take to the house.
    His other passes were *meh*.
    Missed Marquise with a worm burner open on a sideline route by ~2 yards.
    Hit Duverany on 7 yard in-cut on 3rd & 10.
    Was off target on an sideline stop route to Dez who was covered like a blanket.
    Was off target throwing off the backfoot placing the ball behind Willson on 3rd down.
    Almost threw a interception into Minkah's chest that he thankfully dropped.
    I think this is a really smart take! Especially on Robert, he did a great job with a line that was inconsistent (to try to give them the benefit of the doubt). I'm growing into a take that they just don't practice pass pro enough to be good at it. They practice run blocking and they look great at it. I bet if they practiced more pass pro they would look better.

The only thing that I would add is that Trace looked pretty good (not as glowing as my first take on it) getting the guys moving after his first down run with the slide. He kept the hurry up going and the offense moving.

Robert did what he was asked and I think we'll see the same/similar from McSorley if he has to start the Dallas game.

I wish they would mix in significantly more play action since that's where they seemed to catch the defense off guard. They didn't always finish the play but it seemed effective last night and when they have used it this season. Just whatever they can to keep the defense off guard if they must start another backup QB.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I won't say "I told you so!" Oh, Hell -- i WAS one of the few who thought McSorley could play in the NFL. He showed today what he showed at PSU (Yes, I taught there). He's a winner. A dynamic guy who refuses to lose.

I think he's at least a solid number two and we are lucky to have him. Now to get some value out of his talents.

What do you think? Naysayers are welcome to repent.
    Agree 100%. Harbaugh is always happy to play by the book. He'd rather lose with a veteran than take a chance on winning with an untested player. He probably sees the Steeler game as a moral victory when all it is is another L in the standings.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    ...Robert did what he was asked and I think we'll see the same/similar from McSorley if he has to start the Dallas game. I wish they would mix in significantly more play action since that's where they seemed to catch the defense off guard. They didn't always finish the play but it seemed effective last night and when they have used it this season. Just whatever they can to keep the defense off guard if they must start another backup QB.
    I agree 100%, i wish the offense would mix in more play-action, more spread, more 1st down passing, more RPO, more outside zone...I could go on. But, I don't expect the offense will much different then its been over the past 2 seasons. I've come to accept that Greg is who he is and is calling the best game he knows how. This offense has higher degree of difficulty then offenses that create advantages from scheme. The QBs and receivers need to learn how to make plays with the limited opportunities they get in this offense.

I wonder how Greg will approach the QB run game if Lamar can't go and the only QBs available are Trace and Huntley?
    He might have to scale back the best part of the offense right now and that's the QB run game.

I guess the silver lining in the simplicity of the passing game is that with a week of practice I think Trace can learn the passing scheme enough to ready to start. His arm isn't as strong as Griffin/Lamar but who are we kidding this offense doesn't really push it downfield and this OL isn't giving a bunch of time to throw downfield. The few times Griffin was able to attempt downfield throws he had to stand in the pocket and absorb contact.

I really liked Trace's footwork on most of his throws. For the most part his dropbacks looked sound, not ad hoc. He would take quick, confident steps which put him in a position to throw the ball on time or take off and run. The 2 throws where his footwork/dropback was unstructured/undisciplined were.....guess where? Yup outside the numbers. I'm starting to wonder if the QBs are allowed to choose or adlib their drops on speed-outs and outside stop routes....because I've seen 2 different QBs throw outs and stops to 2 different receivers and the footwork has been different on most of them. And if the QBs are allowed to shwag their dropback footwork on outside the numbers that is mistake that explains a lot imho. But i digress....
    Now, his decision making wasn't the best and he threw off his back foot on one of his misses. But again it was his first game against live bullets.

I think Trace (Huntley) can beat the Cowboys.
    -Maintain crisp footwork
    -be decisive
    -don't hold the ball
    -hang tough in the pocket
    -don't throw off the backfoot
    -throw the ball on time in rhythm
    -run when its there

If Trace can do the above and the defense plays solid and the run game has a strong effort the Cowboys game should be a W.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Did anyone else have nightmare flashbacks seeing #7 behind center for the Ravens?

No QB should be allowed to wear that number ever again here

10. Re: Trace McSorley

Lifetime Penn State fan here who hopped onto this forum to see what you guys are saying about Trace. I've never followed an NFL team the way I follow Penn State...I just tend to keep up with teams who draft a Penn State player and cheer for the player's success, and consequently, the team's. This might be my one-and-only post on this forum, but I cared enough to join. :) I want to echo houstonravensfan comment at the beginning of the thread: "He's a winner. A dynamic guy who refuses to lose." I think that McSorley is the ultimate "intangibles guy." He's not the best at anything, but he just knows how to win. You can go all the way back to his high-school days when he started all 4 years in high school and his team won the states 3 of those 4 years in Virginia. At the end of his freshman year at Penn State, he replaced Hackenberg in the bowl game with Penn State down to Georgia 24-3 and almost brought them the whole way back. The 2016 season was a magical one (Big Ten Championship...amazing wins over Ohio State and Wisconsin...should have been in the playoff...still drives me crazy...but none of you would care about that), and McSorley just always found a way to win, no matter how big the deficit.

Now, I know this is the NFL, and players who only have the "It factor" and no tangibles don't often make it. And maybe I'm crazy. But I really think that McSorley can be an above-average NFL quarterback at some point in his career, whether it's with the Ravens or someone else. He's such a hard worker and has the leadership skills to galvanize a team around him in a way that many quarterbacks seemingly do not. Some of you have already mentioned it. Quotes from this thread: "The fire he has was the strongest trait or play he showed tonight. Best Ravens QB running the hurry up I've seen, including Joe and including Lamar. That fire and energy directly led to the TD." "The guys could sense it. I don't know if I've ever seen that on the Ravens before, it was pure will to win manifestation on the field. He was going to drag the whole team with him." "The fire & on field energy to drive his guys and make them believe just may be the best I've seen in a Ravens QB in the last two decades." Guys fight for him and I don't know why...you just know it when you see it. For selfish reasons, I was hoping that Lamar wasn't coming back for Tuesday's game, but I totally understand that for a Ravens fan, that's really good news. But like my name says, I'll be lurking and silently hoping to see Trace in an NFL game again soon.