Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: So uh, Trystan Colon-Castillo

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    And the highest pick on that line is Brown in the Third. Imagine actually drafting some top interior OLineman
    I love how this works. How good they are is how good they play, not where they were picked in the draft. Bozeman is not lesser because he was drafted late. He is a just a very good lineman. Maybe you need to take into account the highly drafter lineman who are now busts to get a more realistic perspective.

Left tackles tend to be drafted in high rounds because certain athletic pre-requisites are rare and in high demand. And if you look across at starting LTs in the NFL, most are first round picks. Outside of that lines range from 1-UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBeak View Post
    I love how this works. How good they are is how good they play, not where they were picked in the draft. Bozeman is not lesser because he was drafted late. He is a just a very good lineman. Maybe you need to take into account the highly drafter lineman who are now busts to get a more realistic perspective.

Left tackles tend to be drafted in high rounds because certain athletic pre-requisites are rare and in high demand. And if you look across at starting LTs in the NFL, most are first round picks. Outside of that lines range from 1-UDFA.
    Hmmm

Starting NFL IOL by draft position (2011-2016)

2011 - (1) Mike Pouncey, (2) Stefen Wisniewksi, (2) Rodney Hudson, (5) Daniel Kilgore, (6) Jason Kelce, (7) Michael Person

2012 - (1) David DeCastro, (1) Kevin Zeitler, (2) Kelechi Osemele, (3) Brandon Brooks, (4) Ben Jones, (4) Joe Looney, (5) Senio Kelemete

2013 - (1) Justin Pugh, (1) Kyle Long, (1) Travis Frederick*, (3) Larry Warford, (3) Brian Winters

2014 - (1) Zack Martin, (2) Xavier Su'a-Filo, (2) Joel Bitonio, (2) Weston Richburg, (3) Billy Turner, (3) Gabe Jackson, (3) Trai Turner, (3) Brandon Linder, (4) Russell Bodine, (5) Corey Linsley, (6) Zach Fulton, (6) Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff, (6) Matt Paradis

2015 - (1) Brandon Scherff, (1) Andrus Peat, (1) Laken Tomlinson, (2) Mitch Morse, (2) Ali Marpet, (3) A.J. Cann, (3) John Miller, (4) Daryl Williams, (4) Jon Feliciano, (4) Shaq Mason, (4) Mark Glowinski, (7) Austin Reiter

2016 - (1) Ryan Kelly, (1) Germain Ifedi, (2) Nick Martin, (2) Cody Whitehair, (3) Joe Thuney, (3) Isaac Seumalo, (3) Graham Glasgow, (5) Connor McGovern, (6) Wes Schweitzer, (6) Ted Karras, (7) Austin Blythe

These are guys that remain starters in the NFL beyond their rookie contract. 54 names listed for 96 spots - however some did not play in 2020 due to opt out or injury. Travis Frederick is asterisked for his retirement. Also it doesn't account for UDFAs.

Rd 1 - 12
    Rd 2 - 10
    Rd 3 - 12
    Rd 4 - 7
    Rd 5 - 4
    Rd 6 - 6
    Rd 7 - 3

Draw from this what you wish.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 12-04-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Here are veteran starters from 2011 to 2016 that went undrafted:

2011 - none
    2012 - Ronald Leary, Greg Van Roten
    2013 - Lane Taylor
    2014 - Matt Feiler, Trey Hopkins, Andrew Norwell,
    2015 - David Andrews, Nick Easton, Quinton Spain
    2016 - Matt Skura

Again, some have not played in 2020 due to opt out or injury but were starters in 2019. It's a total of 10 players.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here are veteran starters from 2011 to 2016 that went undrafted:

2011 - none
    2012 - Ronald Leary, Greg Van Roten
    2013 - Lane Taylor
    2014 - Matt Feiler, Trey Hopkins, Andrew Norwell,
    2015 - David Andrews, Nick Easton, Quinton Spain
    2016 - Matt Skura

Again, some have not played in 2020 due to opt out or injury but were starters in 2019. It's a total of 10 players.
    Well I still don’t get the expression of dismay, the eye rolling, because the Ravens don’t spend high draft picks on O-line - Stanly aside. There is a correlation between draft status and likelihood of success in the NFL. However, my point is that draft status does not make the guy who is a success in the NFL less.

So in a nfl trade chart 5 mid-third rounders equal a mid first rounder. So sure go ahead and spend a top draft pick on an interior o-line. That’s chasing value? Is that really what wisdom looks like? Is it worth the eye rolling and gnashing to pursue a draft strategy this way.

And Yanda was a third rounder - and Brown. Bozeman was like a fifth or sixth. And wasn’t Fluker a first?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Ken's gonna hate Colon-Castillo's 30.5" arm length, though.
    He is.

In every rep between an O line and D line player somebody's going to have the longer arms, but that player doesn't always win, just like the boxer with the reach advantage doesn't always win.

Short arms can be overcome.

It seems like the Ravens believe they've found a draft market inefficiency in short-armed Centers and Guards, based on how many they've taken over the years.

And they might be right. Look how many starting quality players they found undrafted or in the late rounds.

I’d like to be clear, as I feel like some people have misinterpreted the thread, but I’m not saying this guy is the center of the future/the long term answer after one single start. I’m saying he should get the start against Dallas because he could be a reasonable solution short term over Skura/Mekari who are having issues. Maybe he plays out of his mind to the point where I would be comfortable with him at C long term, maybe he plays well enough that I’d consider him valuable depth, or maybe he sucks and I advocate for another switch at the position. I’m just saying, he had a good game, and I’d like to see another game.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Hmmm

Starting NFL IOL by draft position (2011-2016)

2011 - (1) Mike Pouncey, (2) Stefen Wisniewksi, (2) Rodney Hudson, (5) Daniel Kilgore, (6) Jason Kelce, (7) Michael Person

2012 - (1) David DeCastro, (1) Kevin Zeitler, (2) Kelechi Osemele, (3) Brandon Brooks, (4) Ben Jones, (4) Joe Looney, (5) Senio Kelemete

2013 - (1) Justin Pugh, (1) Kyle Long, (1) Travis Frederick*, (3) Larry Warford, (3) Brian Winters

2014 - (1) Zack Martin, (2) Xavier Su'a-Filo, (2) Joel Bitonio, (2) Weston Richburg, (3) Billy Turner, (3) Gabe Jackson, (3) Trai Turner, (3) Brandon Linder, (4) Russell Bodine, (5) Corey Linsley, (6) Zach Fulton, (6) Laurent Duvernay-Tardiff, (6) Matt Paradis

2015 - (1) Brandon Scherff, (1) Andrus Peat, (1) Laken Tomlinson, (2) Mitch Morse, (2) Ali Marpet, (3) A.J. Cann, (3) John Miller, (4) Daryl Williams, (4) Jon Feliciano, (4) Shaq Mason, (4) Mark Glowinski, (7) Austin Reiter

2016 - (1) Ryan Kelly, (1) Germain Ifedi, (2) Nick Martin, (2) Cody Whitehair, (3) Joe Thuney, (3) Isaac Seumalo, (3) Graham Glasgow, (5) Connor McGovern, (6) Wes Schweitzer, (6) Ted Karras, (7) Austin Blythe

These are guys that remain starters in the NFL beyond their rookie contract. 54 names listed for 96 spots - however some did not play in 2020 due to opt out or injury. Travis Frederick is asterisked for his retirement. Also it doesn't account for UDFAs.

Rd 1 - 12
    Rd 2 - 10
    Rd 3 - 12
    Rd 4 - 7
    Rd 5 - 4
    Rd 6 - 6
    Rd 7 - 3

Draw from this what you wish.
    How many highly drafted OL were washed out of the league during the duration of their rookie contract?

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    How many highly drafted OL were washed out of the league during the duration of their rookie contract?
    Limiting again to interior OL, a modest number including Danny Watkins, Peter Konz, Hugh Thornton, Travis Swanson, Chris Watt, Jeremiah Poutasi and Max Tuerk in Rds 1-3.

The further down the draft, the more washed out players of course. All positions have a lower hit rate on day three.

Blog Entries

He’s inactive tonight

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Sigh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Sigh
    Fluker is active

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!