Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Weed legalization

Apparently there is going to be a house vote on weed legalization next week. I believe the bill would fully deschedule the drug, expunge prior records, tax it, and reinvest funds into communities hit by the racist war on drugs.

If this gets passed, I fully expect Mitch to not even look at it. My question is what is the conservative view of weed legalization? Even Biden (who's basically a republican) refuses to commit to legalizing or decriminalizing it. What is the conservative rationale behind it? It's very confusing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Weed legalization

I consider myself more Libertarian.

Frankly, I don’t really care one way or another about legal cannabis. Really no different than alcohol as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I consider myself more Libertarian.

Frankly, I don’t really care one way or another about legal cannabis. Really no different than alcohol as far as I’m concerned.

Yes, I believe this a case where libertarians and far leftists agree for the most part. There's nothing about it that suggests it should be illegal. I'm definitely looking to hear from the conservatives though on why their side refuses to see it this way.

4. Re: Weed legalization

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Yes, I believe this a case where libertarians and far leftists agree for the most part. There's nothing about it that suggests it should be illegal. I'm definitely looking to hear from the conservatives though on why their side refuses to see it this way.

I have the exact same views as Wicked. I'm not quite in favor of expunging records, although I would be open to it. Full legalization is coming, anyway, whether anyone likes it or not. I've always likened it to when the lottery was in it's infancy. One or two states went for it, then the rest of the states fell like dominoes, once the almighty dollar bill was involved. That's why the last states to fall in line will be here in the south, just like then. I believe Puerto Rico started it all in this part of the world, followed by New Hampshire. The rest is, as they say, history. It's no different w/the weed. $$$$$

Absolutely legalize it and treat it the same as alcohol. With alcohol you cant drive or operate heavy machinary so why not the same with weed? A lot of responsible people smoke weed. If you want to say their not responsible then go ahead but then I can say how do you know. I haven't smoked probally almost 30 yrs and this is only cuz of job restriction with random. Gotta keep my job you know. Thing is weed stays in your system longest and jobs have resulted to even using the hair test where 6 months ago usage can still be detected. Sounds really unfair when comparing to other drugs like cocaine when resorting only to testing. Besides all this it results in a money stream and frees up drug enforcement to crack down on more dangerous drugs.

Blog Entries

Marijuana prohibition has been one of the worst laws on the books. It serves no valid governmental purpose and has, as part of the War on Drugs, severely corrupted our law enforcement and criminal justice systems. The Bill of Rights has been weakened in pursuit of the War on Drugs.

A better name for the War on Drugs is War on the American people.

I think the OP is right McConnell would keep the Senate from taking up legalization at the federal level.

It's the only non-narcotic on Schedule I and is less harmful than alcohol, both individually and societally. It should be legalized, and the records of those arrested and/or convicted for possession or even distribution should be expunged.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I have the exact same views as Wicked. I'm not quite in favor of expunging records, although I would be open to it. Full legalization is coming, anyway, whether anyone likes it or not. I've always likened it to when the lottery was in it's infancy. One or two states went for it, then the rest of the states fell like dominoes, once the almighty dollar bill was involved. That's why the last states to fall in line will be here in the south, just like then. I believe Puerto Rico started it all in this part of the world, followed by New Hampshire. The rest is, as they say, history. It's no different w/the weed. $$$$$
    Why the hesitation when it comes to expunging records?

I don't really care either way, but I could see people being against it because they believe breaking the law should have consequences.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

9. Re: Weed legalization

I believe, as has been said, that any law already on the books and broken at the time, should have consequences. Changing a law shouldn't make it all go away. It would make a mockery of the whole thing. This isn't a hill I'd be willing to die on, but that's how I feel, be it weed or anything else. I'm 100% ready to see the law changed pronto, however. If not, maybe they will agree to close all liquor stores and bars for awhile, see how that goes over. Probably like a fart in church.
    Last edited by blueridgemtnman; 11-28-2020 at 04:17 PM.

I'm really surprised a study hasn't been started about it being a covid cure.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Marijuana prohibition has been one of the worst laws on the books. It serves no valid governmental purpose and has, as part of the War on Drugs, severely corrupted our law enforcement and criminal justice systems. The Bill of Rights has been weakened in pursuit of the War on Drugs.

I think the OP is right McConnell would keep the Senate from taking up legalization at the federal level.

It's the only non-narcotic on Schedule I and is less harmful than alcohol, both individually and societally. It should be legalized, and the records of those arrested and/or convicted for possession or even distribution should be expunged.
    This may be the first time I have agreed with every word of one of your posts.

12. Re: Weed legalization

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post

The scheduling of weed was 100% politics. Nixon received a study from his own surgeon general stating no known addictive or detrimental health effects. Nixon was furious, trashed the report and directed it be listed as a schedule 1 drug. The reason was he saw it as legal leverage against the anti war protesters. It was a huge tool in his law and order campaign and had nothing to do with medicinal issues or lack of.

Legalize all drugs I say. Every last one of them. Tax them. Use the taxes along with the savings from halting the war on drugs, DEA and the like, put those funds into education (drug use=bad) beginning with kindergartners and real rehab services for addicts. Will save society a fortune over the course of a generation.