Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Biden/Harris Gun Control Plan Explained. The destruction of the USA continues

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Let me guess.....your solution to "economic insecurity" is to send everyone a check.....and that, in turn, will end gun violence.
    UBI fixes everything.:..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Re: Biden/Harris Gun Control Plan Explained. The destruction of the USA continues

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    UBI fixes everything.:..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course. Every time Congress throws money at a problem, it magically disappears. Got a problem? Send a check.

Re: Biden/Harris Gun Control Plan Explained. The destruction of the USA continues

Let me guess.....your solution to "economic insecurity" is to send everyone a check.....and that, in turn, will end gun violence.
    Hmmm let's see. In countries where economic security is at its highest (Nordic countries) gun violence is incredibly low.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. Re: Biden/Harris Gun Control Plan Explained. The destruction of the USA continues

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    Hmmm let's see. In countries where economic security is at its highest (Nordic countries) gun violence is incredibly low.

So, that solves it, then. Igloo sales are way down in Alaska, too. Alaskans must deplore them.

So, that solves it, then. Igloo sales are way down in Alaska, too. Alaskans must deplore them.
    Can you name a country that has a strong social safety net and is also rife with gun violence?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think the gun debate is really just for political gain more than anything.

At the end of the day, this isn’t something that Democrats really care that much about.
    There's a significant faction of the Democratic Party that sees gun control as the solution to gun violence. For the most part, I think they're wrong. They also aren't sizable enough to make it the priority of the Democrats on the national level.

Most national gun legislation is of dubious constitutionality, imo, even leaving the Second Amendment out of view. It stretches the commerce clause considerably, as SCOTUS found in the '90s striking down the Gun Free Schools Act in United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549, (1995).

After respondent, then a 12th-grade student, carried a concealed handgun into his high school, he was charged with violating the Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990, which forbids "any individual knowingly to possess a firearm at a place that [he] knows . . . is a school zone," 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)(1)(A). The District Court denied his motion to dismiss the indictment, concluding that § 922(q) is a constitutional exercise of Congress' power to regulate activities in and affecting commerce. In reversing, the Court of Appeals held that, in light of what it characterized as insufficient congressional findings and legislative history, § 922(q) is invalid as beyond Congress' power under the Commerce Clause.

Held: The Act exceeds Congress' Commerce Clause authority. First, although this Court has upheld a wide variety of congressional Acts regulating intrastate economic activity that substantially affected interstate commerce, the possession of a gun in a local school zone is in no sense an economic activity that might, through repetition elsewhere, have such a substantial effect on interstate commerce. Section 922(q) is a criminal statute that by its terms has nothing to do with "commerce" or any sort of economic enterprise, however broadly those terms are defined. Nor is it an essential part of a larger regulation of economic activity, in which the regulatory scheme could be undercut unless the intrastate activity were regulated. It cannot, therefore, be sustained under the Court's cases upholding regulations of activities that arise out of or are connected with a commercial transaction, which, viewed in the aggregate, substantially affects interstate commerce. Second, § 922(q) contains no jurisdictional element that would ensure, through case-by-case inquiry, that the firearms possession in question has the requisite nexus with interstate commerce. Respondent was a local student at a local school; there is no indication that he had recently moved in interstate commerce, and there is no requirement that his possession of the firearm have any concrete tie to interstate commerce. To uphold the Government's contention that § 922(q) is justified because firearms possession in a local school zone does indeed substantially affect interstate commerce would require this Court to pile inference upon inference in a manner that would bid fair to convert congressional Commerce Clause authority to a general police power of the sort held only by the States. Pp. 552-568.

2 F.3d 1342, affirmed.
    The states have ample authority to regulate guns as reasonably necessary and within the Constitution.

Blog Entries

Can you name a country that has a strong social safety net and is also rife with gun violence?

Correlation does not equal causation.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    Is it not human nature to fight over "resources" when there is perceived scarcity?

Blog Entries

Is it not human nature to fight over "resources" when there is perceived scarcity?

What does that have to do with your comment?

What does that have to do with your comment?
    If the perception of scarcity, or the "mindset of scarcity" that we have here in states was removed, then the gun violence would be reduced.

Blog Entries

If the perception of scarcity, or the "mindset of scarcity" that we have here in states was removed, then the gun violence would be reduced.

Scarcity of what?

Scarcity of what?
    Scarcity of resources.