Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Do the Ravens Get Roster Exemptions So They Can Sign Extra Players for This Week's Game, If It's Played?

I admire you putting the entire question in the subject line.

Blog Entries

Re: It’s Steelers week

Is it still Steelers week?

Steeler weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by CharmCityCrab View Post
    Simple enough question, I guess.

The Ravens look like they may have 18-20 players who have to sit out Tuesday, if there is a game at all. Losing 18-20 players (or more) off a 53 man roster doesn't really leave us enough players to form a team if we can't add people off our practice squad, other teams' practice squads, unsigned players who kept in shape (Maybe cut by a team before or during the season, or just guys who played in past years hoping to be signed.), CFL players who have concluded their season, recent retirees, etc..

I was just looking at someone who crossed out the names of unavailable players on our depth chart, and it is barely enough to have 11 starters on offense and 11 players on defense (We'd actually be short a starting defensive lineman, but I guess maybe it could be assumed someone would attempt to play that position who doesn't normally play it).

I'm not against playing if the experts say it's safe for the players on the field. Beats a forfeit (Which I don't think we should have to do anyway- given that the Steelers have 6 guys out and counting. If it's not played, it should be considered a non-game and we could do standings and playoff eligibility based on winning percentage). I'd watch it.

However, clearly, we need to sign a bunch of people very fast just to have enough warm bodies to play. Can we do that by NFL rules without cutting people off our 53 man roster?

It seems to me that people with Covid in a situation like this should not count against roster and salary cap limits, so a team should be able to just sign guys without cutting anyone or worrying about the cap, and just have to cut them as players come back, but can we?

If we can, why aren't we so far? I realize that anyone we sign (Except off our own practice squad or someone who was in camp with us) won't know the playbook or be able to do much, but we will need uninfected professional football players who we don't currently have to come in during the game in spots to give the starters a few snaps to rest and replace people who sustain traditional football injuries during the game. There's no getting around the need for that. It may turn into a situation where when they are in the game, we're limited to 10 or 20 plays from an abbreviated simplified playbook, or the QB or whomever calls whatever play from the real playbook and just says "run" or "pass" after it in the huddle for the new guys, and the new guys just freelance based on that (Run a random route, block for a run or a pass without nuance, etc. on offense- and the equivalent of that on defense.) while the regulars run the play as designed, but getting them now and sending them some sort of abbreviated playbook online and having them talking to the coaches on Zoom or something beats signing them Tuesday morning. A few days mental prep is better than no prep at all.

Even if this game gets cancelled, we probably should still be signing players for the next game, because it's likely not all of the boatlands of players who are on the list now will be ready to come off it in time for the Cowboys game or whatever the next game we do play winds up being.
    Pretty sure there are roster exemptions, but new players have to test negative for 5 days before they can play.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Looks like we may have to see some different personnel groups based on available players.

Offense: I would expect many 3-4 WR looks with no Andrews, no FB, and only 2 RBs.

Defense: gotta go nickel/dime heavy with 3 available Dline. (Haven’t heard anyone from secondary on COVID list yet). Fortunately for matchups in this game, this isn’t bad since Steelers struggle to run the ball and Connor is out.

I think the Ravens find a way to make this competitive.

More importantly, let’s hope all the players are ok. Most worried about Andrews (diabetic) and Connor for Steelers (cancer survivor)

Quote Originally Posted by VermontRaven View Post
    Looks like we may have to see some different personnel groups based on available players.

Offense: I would expect many 3-4 WR looks with no Andrews, no FB, and only 2 RBs.

Defense: gotta go nickel/dime heavy with 3 available Dline. (Haven’t heard anyone from secondary on COVID list yet). Fortunately for matchups in this game, this isn’t bad since Steelers struggle to run the ball and Connor is out.

I think the Ravens find a way to make this competitive.

More importantly, let’s hope all the players are ok. Most worried about Andrews (diabetic) and Connor for Steelers (cancer survivor)
    As much as I dislike the Steelers I've heard Conner is actually a decent dude. I hope this doesn't affect him and he recovers.

Blog Entries

It’s Covid week lol. One thing Covid has taught me this year is don’t make any plans imma virus.

Jeff Zrebiec Retweeted

Jay Glazer
    @JayGlazer
    ·
    4m
    Plan for Ravens is to condition later today and have walkthrough tomorrow but all outside on fields at facility, not allowing players inside to locker room or inside facility. However, this will be scrapped if they have another positive test today

So, let's review who is potentially available.

QB (2-3)--RG3, Huntley (possibly McSorley if he is deemed to have recovered and past all protocols)
    RB(3)--Gus, Hill, Tyson Williams
    WR(6)--Hollywood, Boykin, Duverney, Dez, Proche, Jaylon Brown
    TE(3)--Willson, Culkin, Tomlinson
    OL (7-9)--Zues, Bozeman, Colon-Castillo, Powers, Phillips, Bredeson, Prince (possibly Rodgers-new to team if he passed COVID protocols) and Fluker-close contact)
    DL--(3-5)---Wolfe, Ellis, Crawford (possibly Washington-close contact and Williams-close contact but might not be healthy enough to play anyway with ankle injury)
    OLB (4-5)-Ngakoue, Bowser, Adeoye, Rivers (possibly Ferguson-close contact)
    ILB (5)--Queen, Harrison, Fort, Board, Welch,
    CB (7) Hump, Peters, Smith, WIlliams, Harris, Desir, Hairston
    S (7) Clark, Elliott, Levine, Stone, Richards, Warrior, Brooks
    ST (3) Tucker, Koch, Nick Moore

By my count, that's 50 that are definitely available with 6 possibilities. 48 can be active (if 8 of them are Oline) I believe only 47 can be active if 7 or less Oline.

Right now, Oline and Dline are the biggest concerns about being able to field a team and not have players out of position.

Please correct me if I have made any errors

Blog Entries

So, let's review who is potentially available.

QB (2-3)--RG3, Huntley (possibly McSorley if he is deemed to have recovered and past all protocols)
    RB(3)--Gus, Hill, Tyson Williams
    WR(6)--Hollywood, Boykin, Duverney, Dez, Proche, Jaylon Brown
    TE(3)--Willson, Culkin, Tomlinson
    OL (7-9)--Zues, Bozeman, Colon-Castillo, Powers, Phillips, Bredeson, Prince (possibly Rodgers-new to team if he passed COVID protocols) and Fluker-close contact)
    DL--(3-5)---Wolfe, Ellis, Crawford (possibly Washington-close contact and Williams-close contact but might not be healthy enough to play anyway with ankle injury)
    OLB (4-5)-Ngakoue, Bowser, Adeoye, Rivers (possibly Ferguson-close contact)
    ILB (5)--Queen, Harrison, Fort, Board, Welch,
    CB (7) Hump, Peters, Smith, WIlliams, Harris, Desir, Hairston
    S (7) Clark, Elliott, Levine, Stone, Richards, Warrior, Brooks
    ST (3) Tucker, Koch, Nick Moore

By my count, that's 50 that are definitely available with 6 possibilities. 48 can be active (if 8 of them are Oline) I believe only 47 can be active if 7 or less Oline.

Right now, Oline and Dline are the biggest concerns about being able to field a team and not have players out of position.

Please correct me if I have made any errors
    It's like week 1 preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's like week 1 preseason game.
    But it's still better than what the Broncos had to play with yesterday. As of now, we could at least have everyone playing their natural position. (except maybe a natural G playing T)

Blog Entries

But it's still better than what the Broncos had to play with yesterday. As of now, we could at least have everyone playing their natural position. (except maybe a natural G playing T)
    and they have some big Oline available and Gus Edwards... I know what the plan should be

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!