Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

The NFL is a laughing stock (except its not even funny)

I cannot even begin to understand how a business with this much money and power, with more time to pivot than any other professional sport, has screwed up it's COVID response to this degree. The level of effort by the league to do anything about this besides the bare minimum is shameful and outrageous.

There were blueprints in place that were proven, such as the NBA bubble, which the MLB quickly decided to adopt its own version of. The NFL said no to all that. They decided to haphazardly cobble a traditional season together while forcing teams to police themselves and slap fines wherever they saw fit. They allowed certain teams to have fans, while others could not. They decided to move around a few games here and there to try to skirt around any idea that the season could be in jeopardy, all while exposing their players (and their families) to a wildcard virus that could either do nothing to them, put them in the hospital, potentially end their career, or kill them.

I don't care about cleaning protocols and distancing measures, they clearly don't work, and put too much on players/staff personal responsibility. They could have taken that level of risk and reduced it, but instead opted for playing games all over the country while making fans pay 50 bucks for a cardboard cutout of themselves in the damn stands. It's ridiculous. I'd honestly prefer they cancel it all than keep watching them do nothing and hoping for the best.

This season is a joke, and should've never happened this way.

Re: The NFL is a laughing stock (except its not even funny)

They've been able to play 11 weeks of games during a pandemic without having to cancel any games, without having any players get seriously sick or hospitalized. I'd call that pretty successful.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    They've been able to play 11 weeks of games during a pandemic without having to cancel any games, without having any players get seriously sick or hospitalized. I'd call that pretty successful.
    Hard to argue this point.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

I'd go as far as to say outstanding, given all the travel

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Keyboard Warriors sitting at home slandering an organization who has to plan around thousands of individuals, cities and venues. The logistics and business decisions behind all of this are astronomical.

Oh and like others have stated, they have done it all without having to cancel games yet.

It has been nothing short of a tremendous success so far.

NBA team is 15 players and about twice that number support. A football team is 75 players and 100-150 support people. Do the math. A NFL bubble would be 15 times the size and the season last up to seven months long. Nobody is going into isolation for seven months.

Basketball did it for two month or less for 3/4 of the players. If you told them they must live in a bubble for eight months, which is a basketball season with camp and playoffs, they would tell you to pack sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    NBA team is 15 players and about twice that number support. A football team is 75 players and 100-150 support people. Do the math. A NFL bubble would be 15 times the size and the season last up to seven months long. Nobody is going into isolation for seven months.

Basketball did it for two month or less for 3/4 of the players. If you told them they must live in a bubble for eight months, which is a basketball season with camp and playoffs, they would tell you to pack sand.
    This.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Yep!

The NFL is doing a good job IMO, there are thousands of people - including coaches, players, etc and they have had less than 100 cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting 11 games in is a miracle and quite a success story. Not sure what the OP's real gripe is. League and Players Union were in agreement to proceed and proceed cautiously knowing full well the risk. I don't see anyone calling the league a laughingstock.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

You all are not going to like to hear this - but the COVID thing is bullshit - within the "population" of human beings that the NFL involves itself with - healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 50. For anyone outside that age group - particularly people like Andy Reid (over weight) or Pete Carroll (over 70) its of particular concern.

The sooner that herd immunity levels are established the sooner this will be over. Herd immunity is predicated on contact (not isolation and social distancing)

Blog Entries

Totally agree.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.