Page 1 of 22 123 ... LastLast

Path to playoffs discussion.

OK, so here is the goal of this thread. I want to discuss what paths to the playoffs do the Ravens have. What I do not want this to turn into is a negative thread saying why we won't make the playoffs...plenty of that discussion in other threads if that is what you want to discuss. The point of this thread is to discuss:

1) What the Ravens need to do to realistically make the playoffs
    2) Who to root for in other games, etc.

SO...Here we go. I realistically see a 9 team race for 7 playoff spots.

3 are virtual locks to win division: Pitt, KC, and Buffalo, so I will not spend any more time breaking their schedule down, etc.

SO--by current standings (according to ESPN.com)

4) Indy(7-3)
    Remaining games: v.Tenn, @Hous, @LV, v.Hous, @Pitt, v.Jax
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Ravens hold head-to-head
    Thoughts: Should beat Houston twice + Jax. Tough games v. Tenn, LV, Pitt

5) Tenn (7-3)
    Remaining games: @Indy, Clev, @Jax, Det, @GB, @Hous
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Titans hold head=-to-head
    Thoughts: Should beat Jax, Det, Hous. Underdog in GB game, toss-up games Clev,Indy

6) Cleveland (7-3)
    Remaining games: @Jax, @Ten, v.Balt, @NYG, @NYJ, Pitt
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Ravens can win head-to-head if they beat them again
    Thoughts: Can't see them losing to Jax, NYG, NYJ. Tough games Tenn, Balt---Pitt game is the wildcard...is Pitt still playing for #1 seed, are they going for perfection? do they rest starters, etc.?

7) Las Vegas (6-4)
    Remaining games: @Atl, @NYJ, v.Indy, v.LAC,v.Miami,@Dever
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: LV prob wins tiebreak (Conference record)
    Thoughts: Next 2 games look like cakewalks, last 4 could be competitive

8) Baltimore (6-4)
    Remaining games: @Pitt, v. Dallas, @Clev, v. Jax, v.NYG, @Cincy
    Thoughts: If the Ravens can win 2 of next 3, they will have a good shot at going 11-5, which I think gets them in. 10-6 would be dicey; tiebreak scenarios probably will not favor Ravens. Pitt obviously extremely tough game. If they lose that, they may have to win @Clev and take care of business against the lesser teams left on schedule (Dallas, Jax, NYG, Cincy)

9) Miami (6-4)
    Remaining games: @NYJ, v.Cin, v.KC, V.NE, @LV,@Buf
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Miami prob wins tiebreak (Conf. record)
    Thoughts: First, I was shocked they lost Sunday which could be very beneficial to the Ravens. They will be 8-4 after next 2 weeks, then it gets interesting. KC obviously very tough...then I might have to root for Patriots---UGGHH, then LV is tough.. Buffalo is a wildcard depending on if Buffalo is playing for anything.

Blog Entries

Re: Path to playoffs discussion.

VtR, I think we have to win 5 of our last 6 games, including our game with the Browns (one of our main playoff rivals). That game may be more important than our game vs. the Steelers on Thursday night. That would make the Ravens 11 - 5, having beaten the Browns twice. All this is no easy task, but we put ourselves in this position... Bc

SO, I will follow this up with games of interest for Week 12:

Baltimore of course goes on the road to Pittsburgh on Thanksgiving which will be an extremely tough game.

OTHER GAMES TO WATCH
    Las Vegas @ Atlanta Vegas will be heavily favored, but obviously ROOT FOR ATLANTA

Titans @ Colts Same record but Balt holds h2h over Indy ROOT FOR TENN

Dolphins @ Jets No chance Miami loses, but what the heck ROOT FOR JETS

Browns @ Jaguars Browns heavily favored, but obviously ROOT FOR JAGS

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    VtR, I think we have to win 5 of our last 6 games, including our game with the Browns (one of our main playoff rivals). That game may be more important than our game vs. the Steelers on Thursday night. That would make the Ravens 11 - 5, having beaten the Browns twice. All this is no easy task, but we put ourselves in this position... Bc
    I agree. I think 11-5 will be needed to get in. 10-6 is only a possibility if a couple teams choke and lose games they shouldn't

Our schedule is very favorable, if we can somehow beat Pittsburgh we will be in good shape but most likely play them a third time in the playoffs. Good thread.

Beat 1 of PGH or CLE
    Sweep the rest
    Go into the playoffs with momentum

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    It's this simple

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The game @Cleveland is going to be huge. For tiebreaks, they always break tie within division 1st. So if Ravens win @Clev, they are guaranteed tiebreak vs. Cleveland. (sweep of head-to-head)

If Clev wins, the Ravens might not even be able to tie them with their schedule. Plus, even if they do end up tied, 2nd tiebreak is division record---If Clev gets Pitt with nothing to play for in week 17, they would win division record tiebreak over Ravens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillickFan View Post
    Beat 1 of PGH or CLE
    Sweep the rest
    Go into the playoffs with momentum
    Don't have a crystal ball, but it is extremely likely that the Steelers win the AFCN crown. So, it is much more important to beat the Browns... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VermontRaven View Post
    OK, so here is the goal of this thread. I want to discuss what paths to the playoffs do the Ravens have. What I do not want this to turn into is a negative thread saying why we won't make the playoffs...plenty of that discussion in other threads if that is what you want to discuss. The point of this thread is to discuss:

1) What the Ravens need to do to realistically make the playoffs
    2) Who to root for in other games, etc.

SO...Here we go. I realistically see a 9 team race for 7 playoff spots.

3 are virtual locks to win division: Pitt, KC, and Buffalo, so I will not spend any more time breaking their schedule down, etc.

SO--by current standings (according to ESPN.com)

4) Indy(7-3)
    Remaining games: v.Tenn, @Hous, @LV, v.Hous, @Pitt, v.Jax
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Ravens hold head-to-head
    Thoughts: Should beat Houston twice + Jax. Tough games v. Tenn, LV, Pitt

5) Tenn (7-3)
    Remaining games: @Indy, Clev, @Jax, Det, @GB, @Hous
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Titans hold head=-to-head
    Thoughts: Should beat Jax, Det, Hous. Underdog in GB game, toss-up games Clev,Indy

6) Cleveland (7-3)
    Remaining games: @Jax, @Ten, v.Balt, @NYG, @NYJ, Pitt
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Ravens can win head-to-head if they beat them again
    Thoughts: Can't see them losing to Jax, NYG, NYJ. Tough games Tenn, Balt---Pitt game is the wildcard...is Pitt still playing for #1 seed, are they going for perfection? do they rest starters, etc.?

7) Las Vegas (6-4)
    Remaining games: @Atl, @NYJ, v.Indy, v.LAC,v.Miami,@Dever
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: LV prob wins tiebreak (Conference record)
    Thoughts: Next 2 games look like cakewalks, last 4 could be competitive

8) Baltimore (6-4)
    Remaining games: @Pitt, v. Dallas, @Clev, v. Jax, v.NYG, @Cincy
    Thoughts: If the Ravens can win 2 of next 3, they will have a good shot at going 11-5, which I think gets them in. 10-6 would be dicey; tiebreak scenarios probably will not favor Ravens. Pitt obviously extremely tough game. If they lose that, they may have to win @Clev and take care of business against the lesser teams left on schedule (Dallas, Jax, NYG, Cincy)

9) Miami (6-4)
    Remaining games: @NYJ, v.Cin, v.KC, V.NE, @LV,@Buf
    Potential tiebreaks with Ravens: Miami prob wins tiebreak (Conf. record)
    Thoughts: First, I was shocked they lost Sunday which could be very beneficial to the Ravens. They will be 8-4 after next 2 weeks, then it gets interesting. KC obviously very tough...then I might have to root for Patriots---UGGHH, then LV is tough.. Buffalo is a wildcard depending on if Buffalo is playing for anything.
    Colts have extremely tough schedule. Houston is no gimme either. Raiders seem to have inside track. Dolphins won't be there in the end. It's Raiders, Browns and Ravens as favorites to land the wild cards.

Ravens need to win vs Steelers. Get out of the funk they are in. Steelers, while undefeated, aren't world beaters and we outplayed them the first game. Go out and prove you belong. Browns being 7-3 with a -23 in pt differential is wild but they continue to find ways to beat the teams they should.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Beat the Brownies and take care of business against 4 teams that are a combined 9-30-1. Beating the Steelers would be a great shot in the arm though.

Weighing those factors, I would not be shocked if they don't push Campbell, B-Will and any other guys on the edge of fitness for Thursday.

I'm in the minority but I still believe the #7 seed will be 9-7.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012