Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Lamar needs some help on the outside

I know that he struggles with those throws, but the first step to improving would be to give him guys on the outside that can make him feel more comfortable. That can make him feel like he doesn’t have to make a perfect throw every time. Once he develops that sense of comfort, he can relax more and play more in a groove, instead of pressing. Once he relaxes, his accuracy could then grow.

In an offense with no one he can remotely trust consistently when it comes to those passes, in an offense with limited passing attempts to begin with, he’s not going to improve as much as he’s capable.

I know that he’s not playing well right now and that he’s a part of the problem overall. However, I just feel that there’s way too many other issues going on for me to really lean on him too much.

I think that we as Ravens fans have to understand that, growth as a passer doesn’t just automatically happen, because you generally work hard in the off-season. That is very important, but on its own is not enough.

I think back to when Rodgers finally became a starter. He was throwing to Greg Jennings and Donald Driver (Whereas, the Ravens once had their own Driver in Mason, but no Jennings.), in an offense built around the arm of the QB. I think back to who Ben Roethlisberger was throwing to when Tomlin was ready to let Ben become more of a focal point, as well as who his Offensive Coordinator was (Arians). I even look at Peyton Manning, who was basically able to be throwing to Marvin Harrison, right out of the gate. Even in New England, Brady had Troy Brown and David Givens, two guys who weren’t world beaters, but who he could trust to run the proper route, do so effectively and catch the ball. He also had the Hoodie as his coach.

These QBs didn’t become great passers, off of hard work alone, without proper direction, with proper attention to detail and without a proper foundation. It doesn’t work that way.

You are not going to give a QB coach Harbaugh, Greg Roman as his OC, and these WRs and end up with some All-Pro level ‘passer’, just because Lamar works hard in the off-season. He’s clearly tense. He’s clearly pressing and before he can improve, the first thing you’ll have to do is get him to relax. You do that by giving him guys who can excel in areas that Lamar struggles. Giving him more comfort while he improves in those areas, instead of him feeling as though everything has to be perfect or if he misses the few open guys he’ll get (Far less than most QBs) then he’s screwed.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 11-22-2020 at 08:40 PM.

Re: Lamar needs some help on the outside

Gotta get him a younger veteran WR, but at this point, for this season, the best they can hope for is Dez. Hell, re-sign if he plays well down the stretch, and see if he can be a reliable possession WR for the next couple years.

He needs better receivers we’re still talking about the same thing we always do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Giving him more comfort while he improves in those areas, instead of him feeling as though everything has to be perfect or if he misses the few open guys he’ll get (Far less than most QBs) then he’s screwed.
    Thats the thing, he has to be perfect. They aren't doing him many favors. If the ball isnt perfectly placed then its not caught and even then it could be dropped. Pass catchers getting paid too, make a play.

Lamar is dealing with errant snaps, RBs blowing assignments, and an O-line thats dysfunctional and his WRs cant do him any favors.
    Mike MacDonald should be our head coach next season

If Youre gonna say I said something, Quote me cause yall be lying.

I heard Derrick Mason on the radio the other day. Ravens should try to sign him.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Dez was targeted a LOT today. That's actually encouraging. I expect his targets to increase going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    Dez was targeted a LOT today. That's actually encouraging. I expect his targets to increase going forward.
    Wasn't a fan of the Ravens picking him up, but I like what I've seen of him in practice and today.

Looked like he was moving pretty well also

Blog Entries

X

Blog Entries

Nothing they can do about it this season thanks to the same old mistakes they always make it the off-season when it comes to this position.

Absolutely need to sign a competent veteran WR in the off-season. Can not be another year of hoping the young receivers take the next step.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Looked like he was moving pretty well also
    Fantasy league winner

Same story a decade later