Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Joe Flacco interview

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When you draft a QB in the first round, why bother if his development as a passer isn't at the top of your priority list? Because if it is, and he reaches his full potential, we've seen that you could have 10-15 years of winning. When you become overly focused on winning in the short term, you can cost yourself that long-term success.

Aside from that, I've never seen a QB, grow into a great, All-Pro level passer or Hall of Fame level 'passer', when you take four years to draft him a guy to throw to high in the draft.

Tom Brady: Drafted in 2000. Became the starter in 2001. Deion Branch drafted in the second round of 2002 draft.
    Peyton Manning: Drafted in 1998 and, despite the team already having Marvin Harrison, they still took Jerome Pathon in the second round of the same 1998 draft
    Ben Roethlisberger: Drafted in 2004. Santonio Holmes drafted in the first round of 2006
    Drew Brees: Wasn't a first round pick, but was drafted in 2001. Reche Caldwell was taken in the second round of the 2002 draft
    Aaron Rodgers: Drafted in 2005. Greg Jennings drafted in the second round of the 2006 draft.
    Patrick Mahomes: Drafted in 2017. Despite the team already having Tyreek Hill, they drafted Mecole Hardman in the second round of the 2019 draft
    Russell Wilson: Drafted in 2012. Paul Richardson drafted in the second round in 2014.

No matter how you slice it, unless I'm missing someone, there is not a single example of an All-Pro level passer or recent Hall of Fame level passer, who became such, for a team that literally took four years, to spend a high pick in the draft on a WR. Not one. Now, that doesn't mean that you're going to get it right. What it shows, however, is a lack of effort. And you don't have that lack of effort unless your QB reaching his full ceiling as a 'passer', isn't much lower on the priority list than it should be.
    Herbert grew pretty well 😂

If Deion Branch was a Raven we'd be complaining that he's not good enough. Brady can pretty much credit outstanding defense for his first 3 SB rings but Sword won't tell you that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    If Deion Branch was a Raven we'd be complaining that he's not good enough. Brady can pretty much credit outstanding defense for his first 3 SB rings but Sword won't tell you that
    That is all beside the point, but you knew that. We are talking about the development of a QB as a passer and the organization’s emphasis of it, or lack thereof. You may not get the pick right, but you have no chance of getting it right if you don’t make it at all. And to not even make the pick for four years, when you spent a first round pick on this guy, is an indictment on how you’ve prioritized his growth as a passer.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitty Hutton View Post
    Best regular season and Madden QB the Ravens ever had, sure.
    But until he wins a playoff game(or at least even has a good playoff performance), how is it not debatable that one that won many, including a SB, is the better franchise QB?
    I agree with the above. LJ is certainly a far more electric player than Joe because of his sheer athleticism. Until he wins a playoff and and can beat teams like KC, he is a regular season champ, not overall better. When we went up to NE to play Brady where other teams were shaking in their shoes, I always believed we could do it. Looked forward to it. LJ needs to get to that stage where we believe he can win a huge game under adverse circumstances. Joe cratered in his later years because of the constant coaching changes and the fact the Ravens never gave him a decent WR other than Boldin and later SSS in his declining years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    I agree with the above. LJ is certainly a far more electric player than Joe because of his sheer athleticism. Until he wins a playoff and and can beat teams like KC, he is a regular season champ, not overall better. When we went up to NE to play Brady where other teams were shaking in their shoes, I always believed we could do it. Looked forward to it. LJ needs to get to that stage where we believe he can win a huge game under adverse circumstances. Joe cratered in his later years because of the constant coaching changes and the fact the Ravens never gave him a decent WR other than Boldin and later SSS in his declining years.
    And he still stepped up in big games that would have gotten us over the line and into the playoffs if we’d won. Stepped up and put points on the board, at Heinz Field, back to back years, with the playoffs basically for the taking, only for Antonio Brown to carry three defenders into the damned end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post

And I'd rather have Dan Marino than Foles, Flacco, and Dilfer but hey that is just me.

Lamar won MVP last year his 16 game stretch was probably the best since Bert Jones. I am legitimately excited for the future and what the Ravens will become with Lamar (our current skid notwithstanding) for the next decade.

I'll take that every day of the week over a fluke SB run and spending over half-a-decade of futility trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice but hey that is just me.
    Last edited by boller4president; 11-27-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jamb17 View Post
    Lets compare the first 2 years shall we? Hell if Lamar had derek Mason and toad hed be in the mvp conversation again!!
    Considering he can't zip it to the sidelines Mason would be pretty useless

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Considering he can't zip it to the sidelines Mason would be pretty useless
    And Todd Heap was well into the back nine of his career.