Can someone explain the NFL injury report?

Forgive me for sounding like a novice when it comes to this, but is the purpose of the injury report mostly to satisfy bettors? I understand listing players as Out, as a requirement for teams to know who they’re going up against.

But what is the point in posting a player as doubtful vs questionable, when you can also inactive any player you wish anyway for other non injury reasons? I’m just not sure about the rules that go along with it. I see very little advantage to teams using the doubtful designation as opposed to just questionable.

Without knowing anything about required rules, I’m assuming much of the injury report has to do with the NFL not wanting benchings of players just for rest in the regular season without an injury to justify it. But I feel like that’s done anyway in games without meaning, so I just don’t understand.

Any clarity would be greatly appreciated

Re: Can someone explain the NFL injury report?

It’s all about Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    It’s all about Vegas
    That's correct; it's all about sports betting. I don't know who came up with the system.

It used to go like this

OUT - 0% chance to play
    DOUBTFUL - 25%
    QUESTIONABLE - 50%
    PROBABLE - 75%

After 2016 it was streamlined to this

DOUBTFUL - between 0 and 50%
    QUESTIONABLE - between 50 and 100%

One team that gamed this system was, of course, the New England Patriots. Bill Belichick doesn't cow-tow to Vegas. So, nearly everyone in question was listed as Questionable, whether it was a sprained knee or a hangnail.

The changes in 2016 haven't changed much in NE. This week the Patriots have 15 players on the injury report, all listed as Questionable.
    Last edited by WNCRavensFan; 11-20-2020 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    That's correct; it's all about sports betting. I don't know who came up with the system but it goes like this

OUT - 0% chance to play
    DOUBTFUL - 25%
    QUESTIONABLE - 50%
    PROBABLE - 75% (this designation was removed in 2016)

Those are the guidelines.. if the player is 100% the only way he doesn't play is if he is inactive - coaches' decision.

One team that games this system is, of course, the New England Patriots. Bill Belichick doesn't cow-tow to Vegas. So, nearly everyone in question is listed as Questionable, whether it's a sprained knee or a hangnail.
    It’s such garbage but the NFL doesn’t try and hide the fact that betting on football is a billion dollar business. They even put a team in Vegas which would have been unheard of not that long ago.

The more people betting= the more people watching= the more $ spent on advertising. The injury reports do a fair job in handicapping games because without them it would be a daunting task to set any sort of line because the coaches would just lie.

I doubt the NFL would ever admit that the injuries status list is there for the betting public. However, with the legalization of fantasy football AND a franchise relocation to Nevada where gambling on game outcomes is legal, the league is “treading on thin ice” in my honest opinion. The NHL is also literally skating on that same thin ice.

Blog Entries

Examples that define the categories :

(1) will my sister-in-law be unemployed in 2021 = Probable

(2) will my sister-in-law look for employment in 2021 = Questionable

(3) If my sister-in-law looks for work in 2021, will she be hired = Doubtful

(4) if and when my sister-in-law gets a call from a potential employer in 2021, will she be in to answer it = OUT

... Bc

So if it’s just for bettors, what are the rules on it? Is it the type of thing where if a player misses a single practice or can’t practice fully during any given week it’s required that you list them on it?

Quote Originally Posted by ReedInTheWind View Post
    So if it’s just for bettors, what are the rules on it? Is it the type of thing where if a player misses a single practice or can’t practice fully during any given week it’s required that you list them on it?
    It's arbitrary, really. With the current rules, if the coaches aren't 100% but don't feel a guy will play, he'll be listed as "doubtful". Otherwise, he'll be listed "questionable". And if a bunch of guys listed as "doubtful" end up playing, Vegas might send a guy to have a few words with team executives.

How about the covid rules. How some teams can have a player test positive but no other contact tracing with the guy sitting on the bench with them.