Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remembering Former WMAR Sports Anchor Jack Dawson

Like Vince Bagli & Chuck Thompson, Jack was part of the sports fabric of my youth. Met him once as a youngster & I'll always remember that voice & how kindly he presented himself. He was special & will be missed. Jack was 91.

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Remember Former WMAR Sports Anchor Jack Dawson

Yep...remember that voice also...whatever happened to Gayle Gardner I wonder...her on-air eulogy for Randy Blair was very moving

Re: Remembering Former WMAR Sports Anchor Jack Dawson

Great guy. Went to my church, or I suppose I went to his....and my kid is a good buddy of his grandson. As good as he was on air, he was an even better human being. Heckuva guy. Heckuva family.

Re: Remember Former WMAR Sports Anchor Jack Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Yep...remember that voice also...whatever happened to Gayle Gardner I wonder...her on-air eulogy for Randy Blair was very moving
    Gayle Gardner moved on to the national stage. She was at ESPN and NBC as a national anchor in the late 80's into the mid 90's. She actually was the first female anchor to appear weekly on a major network if I remember correctly.

Definitely remember Bagli at WBAL (“So long, it’s been a pleasure.”) and Dawson. Dawson was struggling with his voice on the air one night covering the Orioles: “Pardon me, those [Memorial] Stadium peanuts.”

The third contemporary was John Kennelly at WJZ sports. Of course, I’m talking at least 50 years ago.

How many times has the world changed since then?
    Last edited by Corvus Corax; 11-20-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Charley Eckman was mostly radio but he would fill in on TV on occasion if memory serves me correctly. One of a kind. Remember there was a show mayhem on 33rd street where he, Artie Donovan and sometimes Ordell Braase would talk Colts....Donovan and Eckman would be hammered by the end of the show. They couldn't stop laughing. It was great.

Charley Eckman was a true Baltimore icon. He reminded me of the ‘barker’ (shouter) at a carnival: “Hurry, hurry, come on in and takes your chances.” He did every local commercial on TV and radio the same way. Sports savvy, former NBA official and coach of the Detroit Pistons. Arguably, his most famous quote: “It’s a very simple game.”

My dad worked on the engineering/production side of the local radio scene starting in the late 50’s and got to know Eckman very well. I remember him stopping at our house when I was a kid. He always had a silly joke to tell or an outrageous story about some ball player or coach. He was great. And yes, him and Artie could knock off a case of beer before noon.

Rb are you still on the road a lot with the covid virus raging?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Rb are you still on the road a lot with the covid virus raging?
    Thankfully my work has been mostly local in 2020. My firm is consulting for DC Metro (WMATA) on the new Silver Line system out to Dulles Airport, so all my travel between March and July was by car. I did go out to LA and Silicon Valley 3 weeks ago for customer visits but that’s about it. None of this crazy traveling 180 days a year like in most previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    Charley Eckman was a true Baltimore icon. He reminded me of the ‘barker’ (shouter) at a carnival: “Hurry, hurry, come on in and takes your chances.” He did every local commercial on TV and radio the same way. Sports savvy, former NBA official and coach of the Detroit Pistons. Arguably, his most famous quote: “It’s a very simple game.”
    My favorite line was when a caller had some "take" Charley didn't agree with it, he would tell him to "call a cab". If he thought it was a particularly bad
    take, he would say "make that 2 cabs". The guy was about as entertaining as you could be but also had a wealth of knowledge.

nothing more entertaining than listening to Charlie do O's and Colts games on the radio...and that goes for Mayor Shaffer too...Jon Miller let him do play-by-play one time and it was absolutely hilarious