Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Free talk Friday - 11.20.20

my son is 30...he does things that make me bite my tongue...a lot...I bite my tongue because after admonishing him his whole life for various things related to him being a space cadet, nothing ever changes...great young man...huge heart...kind...hard working (most of the time)...figure no amount of browbeating will make him change...today he pulled in our driveway...said he has to change the oil in his truck...making a wonking noise...says it's because the oil is dirty...ARGHH!...I know it's because he has let it get extremely low again...mechanic even warned him last time he had it in the shop...while he's under the truck removing the oil plug I sneakily pull out the dip stick to check the level...sure enough...almost empty...I so badly want to give him heck but figure what's the use...never gonna change...my wife won't let me vent to her anymore so I vented to you guys...carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    That’s one of the aspects of policing that people underestimate. The amount of foolishness you have to police.
    I can't even begin to imagine the amounts of dumb shit they get called out for.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    walked out on my front porch last night to hear the neighbor across the street yelling "I do not love you" over and over. She's the grandma of this multi family unit with two houses. Kept yelling it over and over ... kids crying

Damn! Sounds like granny finally had enough and flipped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    my son is 30...he does things that make me bite my tongue...a lot...I bite my tongue because after admonishing him his whole life for various things related to him being a space cadet, nothing ever changes...great young man...huge heart...kind...hard working (most of the time)...figure no amount of browbeating will make him change...today he pulled in our driveway...said he has to change the oil in his truck...making a wonking noise...says it's because the oil is dirty...ARGHH!...I know it's because he has let it get extremely low again...mechanic even warned him last time he had it in the shop...while he's under the truck removing the oil plug I sneakily pull out the dip stick to check the level...sure enough...almost empty...I so badly want to give him heck but figure what's the use...never gonna change...my wife won't let me vent to her anymore so I vented to you guys...carry on.
    I can relate as can anyone witih a kid in their mid-late 20's. Been telling my son for weeks to get his car to the shop and I'll pay. He texts me "it's vibrating really bad"....

finally he's going to the shop today, probably caused way more damage by waiting weeks

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Damn! Sounds like granny finally had enough and flipped.

You never want to say that to kids, but Grannies have breaking points.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    KbubbaK: You're not alone, brother.

I know cars today can go longer between oil changes, but my Dad ingrained 3,000 miles into my head, and I follow it religiously. It's not only the oil, just to have a mechanic give everything a once-over, monitor "a stitch in time saves nine" repairs, etc.

We have the most awesome mechanic here in cincitucky. Fair, inexpensive and very trustworthy. Every 6th oil change is free and rotations are free. Tire prices are lowest in the city; I don't even shop around anymore when I need tires.

Finally getting through to our kids the importance of the 3,000 mile visit. We bought them both Sentras and they both bought them back from us to establish ownership, so if the car craps out due to negligence, it's their nickel.

Currently trying to get our daughter to get the big ass chip fixed that just appeared on her windshield. Tried to explain to her that the insuraance covers it 100%, and you don't even need to take it anywhere; they come to you. She's still stalling.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Free talk Friday - 11.20.20

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrioleWay View Post
    KbubbaK: You're not alone, brother.

I know cars today can go longer between oil changes, but my Dad ingrained 3,000 miles into my head, and I follow it religiously. It's not only the oil, just to have a mechanic give everything a once-over, monitor "a stitch in time saves nine" repairs, etc.

We have the most awesome mechanic here in cincitucky. Fair, inexpensive and very trustworthy. Every 6th oil change is free and rotations are free. Tire prices are lowest in the city; I don't even shop around anymore when I need tires.

Finally getting through to our kids the importance of the 3,000 mile visit. We bought them both Sentras and they both bought them back from us to establish ownership, so if the car craps out due to negligence, it's their nickel.

Currently trying to get our daughter to get the big ass chip fixed that just appeared on her windshield. Tried to explain to her that the insuraance covers it 100%, and you don't even need to take it anywhere; they come to you. She's still stalling.
    TOW, I'm with you as I'm old-school. There is great public transport where we live, 2 major train lines and 4 bus routes, so the wife and I share one vehicle. Actually, I like to walk (3 - 5 miles, 5 days a week), so I rarely drive anymore. Anyway we own a 2008 Toyota Corolla that looks almost brand new and runs like a top. When I retired (2009) I asked her if she wanted a new car, but she vehemently rejected the idea saying "I love my little car!" Maintenance is the key. I just wish I could do the same with my body (LOL)... Bc

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    TOW, I'm with you as I'm old-school. There is great public transport where we live, 2 major train lines and 4 bus routes, so the wife and I share one vehicle. Actually, I like to walk (3 - 5 miles, 5 days a week), so I rarely drive anymore. Anyway we own a 2008 Toyota Corolla that looks almost brand new and runs like a top. When I retired (2009) I asked her if she wanted a new car, but she vehemently rejected the idea saying "I love my little car!" Maintenance is the key. I just wish I could do the same with my body (LOL)... Bc
    Yes; all about maintenance. Just sold the best car we've ever owned. 2006 Nissan Quest. Put 280K miles on it with only one major repair; ball joints. We put a lot of miles on our cars back & forth from here to OC.

STUPIDEST thing I've ever done. When I was a kid, we lived in Germany for a few years for my Dad's work and before we moved back to the States, he bought a 1962 Mercedes 220SL at the factory there and had it shipped home. In 1985, my Mom made him get rid of it, even though it had over 300K mileage and ran like a top. He offered to give it to me and I turned him down. Again, arguably the worst decision I've ever made.

Could have done wonders with that car, restoring it. Especially since Cincinnati is a very German town and tons of local mechanics that could have done the work for me.

Oh, to be young and stupid

Replaced the Quest with a Toyota Sienna & love it. Other car is a Jeep. We love our Wranglers.

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Happy Friday! How's everyone doing? Looking at another weekend hunkering down. My immediate family (parents, brother, and SIL) agreed to get covid tests prior to Thanksgiving (along with also quarantining as best we can) so we can see each other. We'll do the same. I'm still a little nervous about seeing them with numbers going up, but I guess it's a calculated risk.

What's everyone up to?

Wow good luck hope goes well

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Add me to the list We always go to the wife's cousin's house in Long Island, and his wife makes a spectacular Thanksgiving dinner. However, using caution under the present circumstances, especially me out 3 weeks from surgery, it has mutually been canceled. First time we're not getting together in 30 years.
    I think the wife and I will binge watch some shows we want to catch up with (including "Queen's Gambit").
    Our Saturday night food delivery will be Middle Eastern, likely Baba Ghanoush and Piyaz (beans) appetizers, Shepherd Salad, and Shish Kebab, plus they make their own Turkish bread. The place near us (Anatolian) makes fantastic food.
    Hope you're all safe and well, and that this COVID thing leaves us real soon... Bc
    Mmmm shepherd salad....soongooood

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I can relate as can anyone witih a kid in their mid-late 20's. Been telling my son for weeks to get his car to the shop and I'll pay. He texts me "it's vibrating really bad"....

finally he's going to the shop today, probably caused way more damage by waiting weeks
    my son was the only kid in the history of his high school to progress through the drumline from cymbals in ninth grade, bass in tenth, snares in eleventh, and then...busted back to cymbals as a senior because he didn't practice the audition piece...smh

Did a drive-through covid test today. Super easy... only waited about 15 mins. Was very organized.