Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New offensive Coordinator ideas?

I don't necessarily want a new offensive coordinator.
    Greg is frustrating as hell, but last years results speaks for itself.
    There is a strong argument to make that Lamar was engine that drove that offense and I would agree.
    But, not every offensive coordinator features the QB in the run game.
    The flip side is that devising a scheme that incorporates read-option isn't hard when the QB is Lamar.
    You insert read-option plays and they'll work because Lamar will make them work.

That's the rub, that's the razor.
    The balance between coaching expertise in read-option run game vs passing game.

This team is still building/re-building offensively and Lamar-Greg and the read-option based attack mask a lot of funk.
    I would consider some aspect of QB involvement in the run game to be absolutely necessary to maintain this offense while the personnel is built.
    With Greg and Lamar we know that life-raft aspect will always be there.
    But at the same time I don't think Greg's offense maximizes the personnel.
    But there aren't many coaches out there that I think could maximize the offense and none of those guys are gonna come in here as OC or assistant OC. (Eric Bienemy, Lincoln Riley)

So were stuck.

How do the Raven's find an OC or assistant coach that can maintain the efficiency that using Lamar in the read-option run game provides while at the same time developing Lamar as QB and coaching the passing game at high level?

How much of the QB-run game do we want to sacrifice to improve the passing game?

For me the easiest answer (outside of personnel)* is to keep Roman.
    Yes, keep Roman.

I don't think he is the "problem" granted I think he's limited as OC/playcaller the results are pretty damn good all things considered.
    Imho the areas the offensive has struggled the most are areas that aren't his forte.
    I feel Lamar hasn't evolved much as passer, in fact I think his footwork, overall mechanics and decision making have all regressed compared to last year but the coach directly responsible for that isn't Greg its Urban.

The second area I find lacking is the passing game, I expected to see an improvement in passing game scheme but the scheme doesn't seem improved. And David Culley holds the title of 'Passing Game Coordinator'.

So for me I wouldn't look to replace Roman I would look to upgrade from Urban or Culley.

As far as Jim....i don't that this is even an option or if the dynamic would work BUT the idea of having someone of the staff that has played QB and can speak with empathy to the Lamar would be invaluable.

There is something to be said for having a coach on staff that has the back of the QB and knows first hand from having played the position.

I want a coach that has a history of success with coaching the passing game and specifically grooming and developing the QB position.

My list in no particular order-

Ben McAdoo
    Pep Hamilton
    MCCarthy - but doubt he would take an QB coach/OC job
    Brian Callahan
    Brad Childress (on staff but not a position coach)
    Bevell
    Dirk Koetter
    Linehan
    Kellen Moore
    Pete Carmichael
    Joe Lombardi
    Mike Shula
    Tom Clements
    Byron Leftwhich

*The best way to improve the offense by adding personnel is simpleand add the best WR possible.
    The type of WR that is coach proof. The type of WR that doesn't require scheme help.
    The type of WR that can be trusted to win their match-up.
    When you have that type of WR it allows any passing game concept to work.
    Plug in a true #1 WR into this offense then everything is different.

But, guess what? Every team wants one of those guys.
    Last edited by edromeo; 11-19-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by RAVEN2FLY View Post
    This is an overlook name that could be intriguing.
    The most I can see happening is the Ravens hire someone with experience calling plays on offense to serve as sort of a pass game coordinator, similar to how they Brought in Jim Caldwell when Cam Cameron was coordinator, and Greg Roman when Marty Mornhinweg was the coordinator, that way if Greg Roman's offense really goes to shit in 2021, they can make the change. The only issue with that is that the only coaches who will take such a position are retreads, but that's the way the Ravens have done it historically under Harbaugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure of that.... A team like the Houston Texans could be highly interested in a guy like Roman.
    Roman doesn't have the image, which is why he was back. Younger Andy had the Ditka thing going on back in the 90s when everybody remembered Ditka. An inexperienced Andy and Mac would be given the turn around finger sign these days.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Here's a wild long hot...Jim Harbaugh is fired by Michigan and becomes the Ravens offensive coordinator.
    I threw that out as an idea a few weeks ago.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

haha...John, the NFL execs and now UM knows that his "thousand yard stare" bro. is clinging with one toe at the deep end...crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal.

Quote Originally Posted by wecoxepa View Post
    haha...John, the NFL execs and now UM knows that his "thousand yard stare" bro. is clinging with one toe at the deep end...crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal.
    I honestly couldn’t name something more idiotic and catastrophic it would be to bring him to be the OC of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    I honestly couldn’t name something more idiotic and catastrophic it would be to bring him to be the OC of this team.
    I know, John would never do that. In fact, he won't ever land any job in the NFL again, and probably not D1. No job with visibility and a following. The NFL can't afford a concussed ex-qb going loco on the sidelines, in pressers, etc. That's why they dumped him and his 44-19 record off at UM (and I think the NFL backdoored in a chunk of that 8 mil annual UM salary to make him go away). The CFL is the usual dumping ground... but this is probably Jim's end of line sans some community college.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo;1989010
    How much of the QB-run game do we want to sacrifice to improve the passing game?

For me the easiest answer (outside of personnel)* is to [I
    keep[/I] Roman.
    Yes, keep Roman.

I don't think he is the "problem" granted I think he's limited as OC/playcaller the results are pretty damn good all things considered.
    Imho the areas the offensive has struggled the most are areas that aren't his forte.
    I feel Lamar hasn't evolved much as passer, in fact I think his footwork, overall mechanics and decision making have all regressed compared to last year but the coach directly responsible for that isn't Greg its Urban.

The second area I find lacking is the passing game, I expected to see an improvement in passing game scheme but the scheme doesn't seem improved. And David Culley holds the title of 'Passing Game Coordinator'.

So for me I wouldn't look to replace Roman I would look to upgrade from Urban or Culley

I want a coach that has a history of success with coaching the passing game and specifically grooming and developing the QB position.

My list in no particular order-

Ben McAdoo
    Pep Hamilton
    MCCarthy - but doubt he would take an QB coach/OC job
    Brian Callahan
    Brad Childress (on staff but not a position coach)
    Bevell
    Dirk Koetter
    Linehan
    Kellen Moore
    Pete Carmichael
    Joe Lombardi

*The best way to improve the offense by adding personnel is simpleand add the best WR possible.
    The type of WR that is coach proof. The type of WR that doesn't require scheme help.
    The type of WR that can be trusted to win their match-up.
    When you have that type of WR it allows any passing game concept to work.
    Plug in a true #1 WR into this offense then everything is different.

But, guess what? Every team wants one of those guys.

Lamar Jackson won MVP last year with James Urban as his quarterback coach. Mike Vick won comeback player of the year with James Urban as his quarterback coach. Lamar Jackson accuracy and decision making in the passing game has started to look much improved lately against The Colts and Patriots. Not sure if firing James Urban is a good idea and his resume speaks for it self. Maybe The Ravens should consider to take away the passing game coordinator title away from David Culley but honestly I think us Ravens fans have to be mindful that training camp was pretty short this year due to Covid 19. There wasn't alot of self scouting going on with no preseason games and players that may have needed more development/coaching and etc probably was robbed of that opportunity.

Maybe hiring another offensive coach that's a bit more experience with a successful passing attack could be helpful but The Ravens have to be carefully with not adding too many Chefs in the kitchen.Out of your list Pep Hamilton is the only one that makes sense but that's basically because of the fact that he has with Greg Roman before.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Lamar Jackson won MVP last year with James Urban as his quarterback coach. Mike Vick won comeback player of the year with James Urban as his quarterback coach. Lamar Jackson accuracy and decision making in the passing game has started to look much improved lately against The Colts and Patriots. Not sure if firing James Urban is a good idea and his resume speaks for it self. Maybe The Ravens should consider to take away the passing game coordinator title away from David Culley but honestly I think us Ravens fans have to be mindful that training camp was pretty short this year due to Covid 19. There wasn't alot of self scouting going on with no preseason games and players that may have needed more development/coaching and etc probably was robbed of that opportunity.
    It depends on whether or not you see a regression in Lamar's footwork, mechanics and decision making. If you do see a regression then Urban is responsible because he directly in charge of that aspect of Lamar's game.
    For example, Lamar's has been throwing more sidearm passes this year then before. I've noticed, but taking myself out of it Lamar's offseason QB coach (Josh Harris) said he thought Lamar was throwing too many sidearm passes this year. But, when asked Urban's response was dismissive of arm angle being an issue. Maybe Urban's comments are different from his focus during practice and he only said those things to protect Lamar. But, as coach either you're coaching it or you're allowing it to happen and some of Lamar's inaccuracy is a result of mechanical breakdowns either footwork or arm angle or both.

But, regardless of our opinions of Urban, even if Urban is good....would you agree that there might be better QB coach's then him out there?
    And if so wouldn't you want them?

Also meant to add Byron Leftwhich to my list
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Blog Entries

I want something like this for Lamar:

@ 1:23

My frustration with Roman is the same as its been with previous coordinators. Where is there any creativity in the passing game? We face teams that show creative looks in their formations, stacks, picks. We seem to line up everyone in their spot and they each run their individual route and we wonder why no one gets open.

Which of is the same with every coordinator, that lies with Harbaugh. He doesn't need to design plays necessarily, but he should be giving this direction

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

If they decided to dump Roman, which I think is unlikely, I would look to the college ranks to find someone who is innovative. College is where most of the offensive innovation is occurring and hiring our version of Kingsbury seems like the best way to continue innovating with Lamar.

Tony Elliott
    Joe Moorhead
    Gus Malzahn (if fired)
    Garrett Riley
    Neal Brown