Blog Entries

Eleventh hour of the eleventh month of the eleventh day

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918, the guns fell silent, ending the War to End All Wars. It didn’t live up to that billing, but it did end perhaps the most brutal Great Power conflict in the history of the world.

Though the cease fire had been signed at 5:00 in morning that day, the signers agreed the guns would go silent at 11:00 am. Allied generals decided to continue press forward on attack, taking ground the Germans had agreed to yield in two weeks time. The last official death of an American soldier was PVT Henry Gunther of the 313th regiment of the 79th “Liberty” Division. He was killed at 10:59 am by German machine gun fire.

Much of the world which was involved in that Conflict know it as Armistice Day, as we did here in the U.S. until 1954, when Congress changed it to Veterans Day to also honor those who had gone overseas in World War II.

On this day we honor those who have served this nation in her Armed Forces. Thank you all for your service.

Re: Eleventh hour of the eleventh month of the eleventh day

Excellent post my man!

Happy Veterans Day to the many who have proudly served on this forum. On behalf of myself and family I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's about you guys it's never about us. We do it for you and those lovely freedoms we have

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know a bunch of you guys are active or former military, so thanks for your service

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

My greatest regret is not serving. I opened a Subway shortly after college. I have nothing but respect for everyone whose has served or sacrificed for this country.

Thanks to all the veterans for their sacrifice and service. When listening to talk radio today all talk of the election was put aside as should be.

I wanna say thank to civilians for your support because I know the Vietnam/Korean War veterans really needed it most. Cause they definitely didn't get it. I make sure I tell them every time I see them because without them serving I could have served. WWII vet get alot of credit as they deserve it but let's not forget our Korean and Vietnam guys. Much love to all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk