Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ozzie on QB Situation

Surprised nobody posted this yet.

Ozzie spoke from Indy today.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...nairs_the.html

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome told ESPN's Hashmarks blog that as of now, Steve McNair is the team's starting quarterback.

Reporter Mike Sando caught up with Newsome at the NFL combine in Indianapolis:

Asked about the Ravens' QB situation, specifically who will start in 2008, Newsome said, "If you had to say right now, it would be Steve McNair." But he noted it's only February. McNair is coming off a shoulder injury. Newsome said he's seen McNair around the facility, but the team has not conducted a full medical evaluation to know how well McNair is progressing. Newsome's overall feel, however, was that McNair was doing well.

Not surprising to me.

PP

Re: Ozzie on QB Situation

Not surprising at all but, to me, it's not a good sign. While not a Boller fan I saw all I ever want to see of McNair last year. Makes me wonder who's making the decisions around Owings Mills.
    AZRAVEN

[

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    Makes me wonder who's making the decisions around Owings Mills.
    Sure does.

PP

Well, what do you expect him to say?

Troy Smith? Kyle boller? all of the QBs are terrible?

I think saying McNair is not only the smart thing to do, it's "right" in terms of the healthy mid season 2006 McNair being solid, not the playing injured and not in shape 2007 version.

He also said it's February. Lots of things can happen between now and the start of the season.

I'd not get to worried about anything that gets said right now anyhow, It's going to be 150% PR spin and 500% draft strategy secrecy.
    Just win baby...

Makes me wonder who's making the decisions around Owings Mills.
    Why is that? A healthy Mcnair is our best option right now.

Personally, I would have preferred for him to say it would be an open competition and the best option would start whether that player is currently on the roster or not. I'm sick of starting jobs just being handed to the front office favorites.
    Well, I just don't agree that McNair, healthy or otherwise, is necessarily our best option and if he is then I think it will be a long, long year.
    AZRAVEN

[

Wink Re: Ozzie on QB Situation

Quote Originally Posted by AZRAVEN View Post
    Well, I just don't agree that McNair, healthy or otherwise, is necessarily our best option and if he is then I think it will be a long, long year.

McNair is washed up. If he is the starter for many games, we will be finished before the season gets going.

Fortunately, Oz doesn't make starting player decisions.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

8. Re: Ozzie on QB Situation

I agree it is the best thing for him to say right now. We need to let it play out. Remember, this isn't Billick's camp anymore. The new staff will put the best guy on the field.

Why is the GM making a statement about our QB situation when our new head coach has said there will be a QB competition in camp?
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

He said "IF you HAD TO say right now;" One, it is an if and two, right now.

McNair was not in shape last year. If he gets his legs, back and arm in shape he might be able to throw with the zip he had in the past. If he can't he won't be the starter in September.

I wouldn't put any stock at all in this.

11. Re: Ozzie on QB Situation

And when did Harbaugh say there will be an open competition? Did I miss that? All I remember is him saying so far is that they are analyzing the situation. And even if he did say it, someone has to go in as the starter on the depth chart. And if your vet is healthy, of course it is him.

McNair was brought in to be the starter. However, there needs to be open competition at camp just like there should be for every posistion, every year.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock