Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: What I've never understood about Ravens offenses since 1997...

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    Now to be fair to Roman, I've rewatched the Philly game, and I think he actually called a damn good game and really did switch some of their looks and formations up. It was the offensive penalties, a 3rd down drop by Dobbins, and a couple of terrible sacks taken by Lamar that really prevented that from being a drubbing.

and they still scored 30.
    kind of sums up the season for me but people still want to complain. I'd love an ugly win over Pitt

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    And *why* is the run game -- particularly on first down -- not as good?..the secondary reason that the run game is not as good is obviously Yanda -> Phillips.
    Maybe the primary, at least if you throw in Skura playing way earlier than he was supposed to (now). And Phillips and Ronnie have been a little nicked.

My secondary reason is the quality of the fronts they've played against has been pretty good, particularly compared to who is coming up in NE, Indy, Jax, Giants and Dallas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Of course the secondary reason that the run game is not as good is obviously Yanda -> Phillips. No knock on the kid, but that's a huge drop-off. Nothing we can do about that part of it.
    Phillips (or any other replacement on the roster) isn't Yanda, but it's not just ability to play the position. Yanda was the leader of the O-line. He called out the blocking assignments. He coached the rest of the line when the defense was on the field. Even if they found someone with Yanda's ability as a blocker, that wouldn't necessarily make the O-line as a whole the same as it was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywatcher View Post
    There was no "failure to retain" Hayden Hurst. He wanted out because he wasn't happy with his role here. It's a sign the coaching staff respected the guy to honor his wishes.

Should they have signed a JAG blocking TE a la Keizer or Supernaw (just naming some past examples) to the roster for scheme flexibility, possibly. But they wouldn't bring to the table what Hurst did.

And it does appear the team was sniffing around Zach Ertz prior to his latest injury, so they may very well be on your wavelength. Patience, Danielsan.
    Now Ginger Thor is on a crappy team and not getting the ball nearly as much as I'm sure he thought he would.

I agree with patience to a point. 5-1 is a great place to be with the amount of tuning needed in the Offense. This Sunday will give us all a ton of data to dissect regarding progression or lack thereof.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Now Ginger Thor is on a crappy team and not getting the ball nearly as much as I'm sure he thought he would.
    Just curious to see how he's doing... Atlanta's played half the season now, and here are Hurst's numbers:

30/46 (65.2%), 349 yards (7.6 YPT), 3 TD

Not great, but not bad either. It's pretty close to Austin Hooper's production from last season.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Just curious to see how he's doing... Atlanta's played half the season now, and here are Hurst's numbers:

30/46 (65.2%), 349 yards (7.6 YPT), 3 TD

Not great, but not bad either. It's pretty close to Austin Hooper's production from last season.
    He was benched Thursday after dropping a wide open pass.

With that receiving core plus gurley he should be wide open

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensblitzkrieg View Post
    He was benched Thursday after dropping a wide open pass.

With that receiving core plus gurley he should be wide open
    He had a drop but also a couple of great catches. I watched that game and thought he looked solid

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/sta...028798976?s=21

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I’m terrible with stats, but it seems like the handoffs this year are more direct. There seems to be fewer “mesh points” where Lamar is sticking it into the RB’s gut and holding it while he reads the coverage. It’s just a gut feeling though.

Roman's offenses deteriorate over time. Imo its because he spends little time on passing scheme and thinks just throwing a pistol look will confuse the defense.

Kaep had a sharp decline in explosive plays after the initial shock and awe, partly because kaep had no anticipation, but a large reason was roman tends to have basic passing schemes that don't work without a tremendous run threat.

And before someone says yah but he played ok before he was black listed... he got replaced by Gabbert. I made a few Gs off of kaep dating back to Nevada, I followed the 9ers very closely. Sure kaep cut down on turnovers but the offense stopped being explosive

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I've been watching a bunch of baldy's breakdowns and I'm seeing guys open when the defense respects the passing game. Either through an OK or better QB with volume or knowing that passing will happen.

I'm wondering if part of it is that since the Ravens are so run heavy and Lamar hasn't demonstrated that he can carve up defenses passing yet. They don't respect the game (that if they make a mistake they will be beaten so they give cushion) and aren't afraid to be aggressive against Lamar.

Part of this is why I simply can't understand why they don't take more shots downfield to Hollywood and Duvernay, even if they don't work, to put some doubt into the defense that they could do that. I'm just baffled by it.

Of course I just broke my foot (pretty sure) a few hours ago (same one I tore the ankle tendon) so it could be the pain meds talking. Not sure, can't tell right now.

I really wish Lamar carves up the Steelers tomorrow and we blow them off the field.