Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Marcus Gilchrist Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Here is the best guess I can fabricate to try to explain it.

With 6 OLBs in the fold, maybe EDC has a very minor pending deal to trade Jhad Ward before the 11/4 deadline. After that happens he will use Ward's roster spot to promote Dez in week 9.

They then resign Gilchrist back to the PS spot vacated by Dez.

They do that deal with Gilchrist, rather than someone else on the PS, because they have a side deal with him to not sign elsewhere in the intervening week. As a veteran he and his agent, Hadley Engelhard, would understand this kind of deal making.
    I mean it's a guess so no point in trying to disprove it...but why Ward?
    I think it's more likely a back room handshake kind of deal where they will sign him back after the week. It seems like every couple of years there is a guy that they do that dance with and as long as some other team doesn't come along offering more money or a better chance to stick, that's what they will do with Gilchrist.

For the folks saying he was playing well...what is that based on. I can't remember seeing any particular plays I could point to and saying, hey that's a nice play or good coverage. Seemed like a competent depth guy that didn't get exposed, so why all the hand wringing?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    By that logic why not carry and protect a punter and kicker too?
    The other obvious reason: Cox, unlike Koch and Tucker, is in the last year of his deal, and is an UDFA going into next year, when he turns 35.

He'll probably want more than the $5M deal he got last time, in a year when teams will be squeezed by a smaller cap.

This gives them an option to move on from Cox with less chemistry disruption...or to use his presence as leverage with contract talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    We are one injury away in the secondary from being in a very bad spot. Especially at safety.
    No team has the ability to field an entire second offense or second defense. We are one injury away from being in a bad spot at damn near every position on the team. That's not a valid argument for keeping or cutting anyone IMHO. Every team in the NFL has several position groups where this is an issue. Funny that when the Ravens do load up on DBs in the offseason and draft, there is a contingency of fans that say the exact opposite - "why do they keep bringing in more DBs??!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I mean it's a guess so no point in trying to disprove it...but why Ward?
    Why not? It doesn't really matter who it is. It just has to be someone they can be sure will sign back. If he wasn't going to be elevated for week 8 it really doesn't matter that he is cut now and brought back later.

These kind of deals are often made with veterans when final 53 man cuts are made. The vet gets cut and then signed back after week one when the salary doesn't have to be guaranteed (also allowing a young guy to be snuck onto the PS after dust settles and everyone's rosters settle.

The other obvious reason: Cox, unlike Koch and Tucker, is in the last year of his deal, and is an UDFA going into next year, when he turns 35.

He'll probably want more than the $5M deal he got last time, in a year when teams will be squeezed by a smaller cap.

This gives them an option to move on from Cox with less chemistry disruption...or to use his presence as leverage with contract talks.
    I know this has become a bit tangential but have you ever seen Cox not do a perfect longsnap? I don’t think I have. Might be worth the money.

I'm not in a hurry to chase him off, agreed.

Maybe he's told the team this is the last year he wants to play, and so he's given them time to groom a replacement.

No team has the ability to field an entire second offense or second defense. We are one injury away from being in a bad spot at damn near every position on the team. That's not a valid argument for keeping or cutting anyone IMHO. Every team in the NFL has several position groups where this is an issue. Funny that when the Ravens do load up on DBs in the offseason and draft, there is a contingency of fans that say the exact opposite - "why do they keep bringing in more DBs??!!"
    People like to bitch and complain.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Here is the best guess I can fabricate to try to explain it.

With 6 OLBs in the fold, maybe EDC has a very minor pending deal to trade Jhad Ward before the 11/4 deadline. After that happens he will use Ward's roster spot to promote Dez in week 9.

They then resign Gilchrist back to the PS spot vacated by Dez.

They do that deal with Gilchrist, rather than someone else on the PS, because they have a side deal with him to not sign elsewhere in the intervening week. As a veteran he and his agent, Hadley Engelhard, would understand this kind of deal making.
    Ward to the Cowboys for the proverbial 5th. I can see it.

EDC is not going to trade Judon (two steps forward with Yannick, one step backwards if Judon leaves now) Bowser (prime candidate for a relatively affordable deal) or Ferguson (rookie) and McPhee's value is very limited.

9. Re: Marcus Gilchrist Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Ward to the Cowboys for the proverbial 5th. I can see it.

EDC is not going to trade Judon (two steps forward with Yannick, one step backwards if Judon leaves now) Bowser (prime candidate for a relatively affordable deal) or Ferguson (rookie) and McPhee's value is very limited.
    Jaylon Ferguson is currently in his sophomore season.

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    Jaylon Ferguson is currently in his sophomore season.
    Ok, rookie + 6 games and he hasn't even played all of them. Point stands.

Why not? It doesn't really matter who it is. It just has to be someone they can be sure will sign back. If he wasn't going to be elevated for week 8 it really doesn't matter that he is cut now and brought back later.

These kind of deals are often made with veterans when final 53 man cuts are made. The vet gets cut and then signed back after week one when the salary doesn't have to be guaranteed (also allowing a young guy to be snuck onto the PS after dust settles and everyone's rosters settle.
    No, what I was saying was I wasn't going to argue with you regarding the player you picked, was just wondering what lead you to Ward? Why not Ellis? or Fort or <insert name here>. Was just curious as to whether there was something about Ward's play or position that lead you to choose him for your guess.

No, what I was saying was I wasn't going to argue with you regarding the player you picked, was just wondering what lead you to Ward? Why not Ellis? or Fort or <insert name here>. Was just curious as to whether there was something about Ward's play or position that lead you to choose him for your guess.
    Ward took a one-year 'prove it' deal so he could show out and get a big contract. Now Yannick will take snaps and he's buried in a OLB group that's six deep--with Ngakou, Ferguson, McPhee, Judon, Bowser and Ward. So trading him would do him a favor.

He'd be a cheap audition for a team looking for a rushing piece. Judon is too valuable this year to the Ravens. Ferguson and Bowser are too up and coming.

They don't have enough depth on the inside to get rid of Fort or Ellis or anyone else I can think of.