Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Marcus Gilchrist Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Yep. For all the clamoring for WR or IOL on here if they make any additional move I think it has to be DB. Not just at safety but if Marlo or Peters or Smith gets hurt (and we all know Smith is far from an iron man) they are in big trouble. I think we all remember the mid 2010's issues we had at CB and how they often torpedoed our season as much as our offense being lethargic.
    Lol I agree with you but imagine the meltdown the smoothbrains would have if we got another Defensive player (especially DB).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Lol I agree with you but imagine the meltdown the smoothbrains would have if we got another Defensive player (especially DB).
    I predicted it a few days ago, before the Gilchrist cut

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I predicted it a few days ago, before the Gilchrist cut
    With durability questions for both Jimmy Smith and DeShon Elliott I don’t blame you. It’s just, it seems we had a pretty good guy in the building in Gilchrist. Played a lot of dime, and did it well. Seems strange to pull the plug on him when he was doing pretty well, especially with the Levine injury, instead of, say, the backup long snapper that must have nudes of Harbaugh or something.

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    I dunno, but I want just one person to justify Chris Moore's role on this team!
    Always Moore. Never less.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    So weird they cut Gilchrist imo, but gotta protect the backup long snapper every week

Yeah it is weird and it's actually smart for The Ravens to protect their backup long snapper every week especially if their long snapper Morgan Cox had to miss a game due to Covid 19. Imagine The Ravens haven't to not only find a long snapper in free agency but have to wait until 5 days due to Covid 19 testing for the player to actually practice and get in sync with Sam Koch and Justin Tucker without their current backup long snapper on the practice squad. That could be scary especially in a game when Tucker has to make a game winning kick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Yeah it is weird and it's actually smart for The Ravens to protect their backup long snapper every week especially if their long snapper Morgan Cox had to miss a game due to Covid 19. Imagine The Ravens haven't to not only find a long snapper in free agency but have to wait until 5 days due to Covid 19 testing for the player to actually practice and get in sync with Sam Koch and Justin Tucker without their current backup long snapper on the practice squad. That could be scary especially in a game when Tucker has to make a game winning kick.
    Agreed. Smart to protect the long snapper.

I still don't understand the Gilchrist move. As a Hawkeyes fan, I hope this means that Geno Stone has been looking good in practice and is ready for some playing time.

Blog Entries

It's a day later and it sounds like there still isn't any clarity over this move. I agree with the majority that it doesn't make sense. There must be something we aren't being told.

Quote Originally Posted by VermontRaven View Post
    Agreed. Smart to protect the long snapper.

I still don't understand the Gilchrist move. As a Hawkeyes fan, I hope this means that Geno Stone has been looking good in practice and is ready for some playing time.
    Maybe this does mean Stone is ready to make his debut but Gilchrist versatility and ability to play safety and cornerback was somewhat of a asset to The Ravens secondary. I'm not sure if Stone can do all that but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's a day later and it sounds like there still isn't any clarity over this move. I agree with the majority that it doesn't make sense. There must be something we aren't being told.
    Or people are just over-thinking it.

When you have 54 guys you want to have available, but only 53 slots, who do you cut? You cut a guy that you expect no one else will take. Then you know he is sitting by the phone when you need him.

Gilchrist sat out on the market until September 30. Any team could have signed him, even as a PS signee like we did. And no one did.

Now, things change, players get injured. There's always a risk. But it's a pretty low-risk move. A veteran could come in and play without a week of practice. You can still cut someone who is riskier to lose (maybe a guy like Moore) later in the week if you want. But what if someone gets injured and goes on IR? Boom. Roster spot open. What if you trade somebody before the deadline? Boom. Roster spot open.

Lots of possibilities. I think Gilchrist was the one to go because he is the most likely guy to still be available to bring back.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Maybe this does mean Stone is ready to make his debut but Gilchrist versatility and ability to play safety and cornerback was somewhat of a asset to The Ravens secondary. I'm not sure if Stone can do all that but who knows.
    IMO Warrior fits this description better than Stone.

and if they bring a guy in off the street - remember he has to quarantine

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Here is the best guess I can fabricate to try to explain it.

With 6 OLBs in the fold, maybe EDC has a very minor pending deal to trade Jhad Ward before the 11/4 deadline. After that happens he will use Ward's roster spot to promote Dez in week 9.

They then resign Gilchrist back to the PS spot vacated by Dez.

They do that deal with Gilchrist, rather than someone else on the PS, because they have a side deal with him to not sign elsewhere in the intervening week. As a veteran he and his agent, Hadley Engelhard, would understand this kind of deal making.

By that logic why not carry and protect a punter and kicker too?