Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Marcus Gilchrist Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Ward took a one-year 'prove it' deal so he could show out and get a big contract. Now Yannick will take snaps and he's buried in a OLB group that's six deep--with Ngakou, Ferguson, McPhee, Judon, Bowser and Ward. So trading him would do him a favor.

He'd be a cheap audition for a team looking for a rushing piece. Judon is too valuable this year to the Ravens. Ferguson and Bowser are too up and coming.

They don't have enough depth on the inside to get rid of Fort or Ellis or anyone else I can think of.
    Ok, I understand your logic now. Thanks! Not sure how buried he is, seems to be getting some snaps but I don't keep count or track that. Also seems to me that trading one of the six and then being struck with an injury or two at the position would suddenly result in them being "thin" at the position. Keeping 6 can help keep them all fresh, especially late in games to close things out.

Blog Entries

I’d expect Ward to be inactive this week so point taken

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    Ok, I understand your logic now. Thanks! Not sure how buried he is, seems to be getting some snaps but I don't keep count or track that. Also seems to me that trading one of the six and then being struck with an injury or two at the position would suddenly result in them being "thin" at the position. Keeping 6 can help keep them all fresh, especially late in games to close things out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I’d expect Ward to be inactive this week so point taken
    Yes, I think that's the issue. They were getting by with five, and if they want to keep six active then someone else is going to be inactive. Fans will typically point to a special teamer/LB like Board or Fort, but they have over 120 special teams snaps apiece. Even "lessor" special teamers who are listed like Alaka (69) are too valuable. Welch has been getting ST snaps because Levine his hurt.

Ward doesn't play special teams. He has 171 snaps on defense, which is a hefty 28/game. But I expect Ngakoue will eat those up.

Here is how the other four OLB snap counts have gone:

Judon 269
    Bowser 214
    McPhee 200
    Ferguson 131

You could make a case for Ferguson being odd man out, and maybe he is inactive throughout the remainder of the season. But I figured they'd what to continue to give him playing time so they could assess his value going into next year. He's the only one on the list who won't be a free agent. They will need to decide who to give contracts to; how good they feel about Ferguson will impact that decision making, so the more they can evaluate him the better, I figure.

It's notable that Ward is really more of a 4-3 DE in the eyes of some. He's a little bigger than Ferguson and McPhee even. On the plus side, like McPhee, and can play inside a bit more; it's probably not even accurate to refer to the Ravens as a 3-4 team because the are so multiple, and they can move him around. It may also make him attractive to more teams, regardless of scheme.

On the other hand, there may not be a market for him. He only had a handful of appearances for two teams prior to landing in Baltimore a year ago.

Blog Entries

I agree Shas, it's Ferg or Ward as odd man out and I think Ferg wins that battle and makes it; Ward is inactive. we will see

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!