Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trevor Lawrence

Blog Entries

Re: Trevor Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I don't like it either. I'm also not thrilled with players forcing their way to get traded like Ramsey did. However that's reality.

The mechanism for compensation is that the team can get a boatload of picks in a trade. The Chargers got a current year 3rd round picks and a 1st and a 5th the following season. The Jaguars received 2 1st round picks and a 4th.

If Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets this won't be like Elway or Bo. They'll have no shortage of teams paying up for that pick since Lawrence is the best prospect we've seen since Andrew Luck.
    In comparison, I believe the Colts got LT Chris Hinton, QB Mark Herrmann, and a 1984 first round pick for John Elway. That first round pick turned into OG Ron Solt. I think Hinton made seven Pro Bowls (6 of them with the Colts) before he was traded to Atlanta. Solt made one Pro Bowl, and Herrmann wasn’t much of a QB. So, the Colts essentially got back two good OL for one of the best QBs of all time. Not that good of a haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Who says the Jets would definitely take him in the first place. They can trade out, they still have the picks they got for Addams, Darnold isn’t an open-shut case bust of a pick, and they have plenty of other positions to address. The Jets might believe it doesn’t make sense to draft him, build up other positions, and keep evaluating Darnold.

I don't like it either. I'm also not thrilled with players forcing their way to get traded like Ramsey did. However that's reality.

The mechanism for compensation is that the team can get a boatload of picks in a trade. The Chargers got a current year 3rd round picks and a 1st and a 5th the following season. The Jaguars received 2 1st round picks and a 4th.

If Lawrence refuses to play for the Jets this won't be like Elway or Bo. They'll have no shortage of teams paying up for that pick since Lawrence is the best prospect we've seen since Andrew Luck.
    If they choose to take the deal then I'm cool with that. I'm more thinking in the event that trade offers were not adequate.

I also understand that it's kind of where we are. At the same time, the league forces established players to play a year or two or more under the Franchise tag; I don't know that they will throw their hands up and just accept this.

One thing that could make it interesting is that Manning wanted off of a small market team (SD) and on a large market team (NYG). I'll be tuned in to see if the NFL doesn't step in to stop Trevor from shunning a large market team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Elway coming to the Colts could have increased attendance and possibly resulted in the Colts never leaving Baltimore. It would have required a plan for a new stadium, but you never know how history could have been changed.
    In Ernie Accorsi's book, he said that season ticket orders had ticked up, and that Elway had called him and said he would sign once things settled down, like in a couple months.

History woulda been totally different. On the other hand, we're better off with Bisciotti's ownership than we would be with any Irsays.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Elway didn't have faith in ownership. He knew Irsay was a turd and had little faith in him putting money in to fix the franchise. Years later it was the same thing that pushed Eli away from the Chargers. Trevor Lawrence doesn't need to stay in school to avoid the Jets. He can do the same as those guys and force a trade. If anything it's become a lot easier than it was back in the 80's and 2000's
    It was Kush a lot more than Irsay,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It was Kush a lot more than Irsay,
    I remember that Elway’s dad was adamant that his son not play for Frank Kush. There was serious bad blood between them. The Colts should have just fired Kush and signed Elway.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    I don't blame the guy for not wanting to get killed behind that line
    The Jets also have no receivers as well as a horrible O line. It could spell disaster for Lawrence. Looking at Joe Burrow getting beat up every week I give him a lot of credit he's still putting up good numbers. Andrew Luck was very impressive as a rookie behind a bad line but he had good receivers. One good thing Trevor has going for him he has a quick release and good mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    The Jets also have no receivers as well as a horrible O line. It could spell disaster for Lawrence. Looking at Joe Burrow getting beat up every week I give him a lot of credit he's still putting up good numbers. Andrew Luck was very impressive as a rookie behind a bad line but he had good receivers. One good thing Trevor has going for him he has a quick release and good mobility.
    If you're going to spend the #1 overall on a generational QB, then don't fuck around. Spend every other pick on O-linemen. And throw big money at the position group in free agency, also.

Fix the OL. Give him a chance to survive.

Blog Entries

I think he could embrace the opportunity (assuming Gase is gone). He could be a rockstar in that market

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think he could embrace the opportunity (assuming Gase is gone). He could be a rockstar in that market
    Even if Gase is gone, the Jets organization has been dysfunctional for years. I can’t even remember the last time when they were legitimately good. If I were Lawrence, I would try to get to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Even if Gase is gone, the Jets organization has been dysfunctional for years. I can’t even remember the last time when they were legitimately good. If I were Lawrence, I would try to get to Dallas.
    Is Dallas any less dysfunctional? Or have they been more recently good? Jets at least reached the AFCCG under Rexy –

Wow. I just realized that was 10 years ago. Huh. Felt "recent" to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Is Dallas any less dysfunctional? Or have they been more recently good? Jets at least reached the AFCCG under Rexy –

Wow. I just realized that was 10 years ago. Huh. Felt "recent" to me.
    Dallas has been dysfunctional too, but IMO, not to the level of the Jets. Also, Dallas has a good OL, but a number of their guys are injured this year. Dallas also has three very good WRs and a great RB. Lawrence’s chances of more immediate success are greater with the Cowboys because more pieces are in place on that offense. Dallas has a lot of work to do on defense though.