Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DeShon & Minkah

Re: DeShon & Minkah

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Anyway...yea...not a tremendous amount of talent coming out of Texas for a while. Maybe Devin Duvernay will change that tide.
    wow! it's crazy to me that there's been much more talent out of Maryland in the last decade than Texas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    wow! it's crazy to me that there's been much more talent out of Maryland in the last decade than Texas.
    It’s weird. We all have this idea that Texas has been this powerhouse football program and for a while, they were...but it’s been quite some time. The last really good Texas teams were when Vince Young was there.

I mean...there were multiple drafts in the past ten years where no Texas players were taken. That isn’t normal for big time football programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Look at the other safeties drafted before Elliott:

2nd (54) CIN - Jessie Bates
    3rd (68) HOU - Justin Reid
    3rd (82) DET - Tracy Walker
    3rd (93) JAX - Ronnie Harrison
    3rd (95) SF - Tarvarius Moore
    4th (109) WAS - Troy Apke
    4th (117) TAM - Jordan Whitehead
    4th (119) LAC - Kyzir White
    4th (124) KC - Armani Watts
    5th (146) SEA - Tre Flowers
    5th (148) PIT - Marcus Allen
    5th (164) NO - Natrell Jamerson
    6th (184) SF - Marcell Harris

How many of these guys would you have drafted before him?
    Definitely the psu safeties (apke and alien) Thought they played great that year.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    since Al Davis
    And how many others have followed that model?

Even Al didn't do that as much as people think. If he did he wouldn't have drafted a Punter and a Kicker in round 1.

The games played in college are a huge factor. Wickedsolo described that perfectly in the first point of his post.

To answer the OP's question, there are three primary reasons (IMO).

1 - Pedigree. Minkah went to Alabama, which for the last decade or more has produced top-flight defensive talent and star power. Minkah won 2 national championships at Bama, was 2 time All American, 2 time First Team SEC, Chuck Bednarik Award winner, and Jim Thorpe award winner. Texas is a good program, but it hasn't been the same caliber of program since Mack Brown. DeShon doesn't have those accolades.

2 - Versatility. In college, Minkah played corner, slot/nickel, sub-linebacker, and safety. I don't recall Deshon ever playing anything other than safety - although, he was a very good safety at Texas. I remember him always being around the ball and making things happen.

3 - Speed/Athleticism. Minkah had a 6.73 3-cone and a 4.13 shuttle. DeShon, from what I am able to find, didn't run those drills at the combine or at his pro-day. However, some combine/draft sites had him projected at a 7.22 3-cone and a 4.46 shuttle run. If we go by that and by their respective 40-times, Minkah Fitzpatrick is much more athletic without sacrificing a tremendous amount of size when compared to Deshon.

-------------
    Now that I'm thinking about it, when was the last elite-level player to come out of Texas? Our own Justin Tucker...and he wasn't drafted. Seriously, I just went back all the way to 2010 and Justin Tucker is hands down THE best prospect to come out of the Texas football program in a decade. The other guy would be Earl Thomas, drafted in 2010.

The latest pro-bowler from Texas was Michael Dickson, a punter for the Seahawks who drafted him in 2018. Hassan Ridgeway has been a decent defensive tackle.

The 2015 draft produced LB Jordan Hicks who has been decent, but oft-injured. CB/S Quandre Diggs also came out in this draft. Diggs has been an above avg defensive back by my estimation.

No one in 2014 was drafted from Texas. In 2013 there was Kenny Vaccaro, Marquise Goodwin, and Alex Okafor.

Anyway...yea...not a tremendous amount of talent coming out of Texas for a while. Maybe Devin Duvernay will change that tide.
    Sergio Kindle

Blog Entries

It’s weird. We all have this idea that Texas has been this powerhouse football program and for a while, they were...but it’s been quite some time. The last really good Texas teams were when Vince Young was there.

I mean...there were multiple drafts in the past ten years where no Texas players were taken. That isn’t normal for big time football programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The problem is Ohio State, Texas A&M & Bama have been picking off all the best players out of Texas. Even TCU has been stealing recruits. They haven't been able to find a coach that can lock down the state like before.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'm a couple years late to the party on this one. But here's something I don't understand:

drill Minkah Fitz Deshon Elliott
    Draft Rd 1st 6th
    Height: 72-1/8 inches 72-7/8
    Weight: 204 205
    Wingspan: 75.125 77.75
    40 Dash 4.46 4.58
    10 Split 1.52 1.59
    Vertical 33.0 36.0
    Broad 121 121
    Bench 14 15

I got no problem with Minkah being a 1st. But how is DeShon a 6th??

One turned out to be a doctor, the other is in state prison, this despite their similarities... Bc

...not a tremendous amount of talent coming out of Texas for a while.
    Interesting!