Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Who runs the 105.7 page?

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    It had the potential to be a great partnership but it's a one-way street there at Entercom and the culture is rather toxic. They didn't care about me or us. They only cared about the $2800 per month that we shelled out for 4 hours to talk time per month. And then they did our customers a disservice by taking out our ads during the online/streaming broadcast and subbing in their own ads, which infuriated a couple of my customers. We had the No. 1 ranked show in our time slot but none of that mattered to them. Just the money.

I haven't missed a day of broadcasting from their rudderless spaceship at 1423 Clarkview Road.
    Screams of not looking at the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Screams of not looking at the big picture.
    As I referenced, the newspaper business was equally myopic in focusing only on the money instead of the product.

Their early business model made their existing content free to everyone online, which soon cannibalized their subscription business. They responded to this lost revenue by cutting quality local content (replacing it with cheap, syndicated national content). When that didn't reverse the tide, they packed this inferior digital content with an advertising assault. When that failed, they then tried paywalls in front of their diminished product, but by then they had already chased away readers unwilling to come back and pay for reconstituted national news.

I gladly pay for great content on The Athletic but would never pay to read The Sun.

I'm seeing the same thing now with radio cutting local content and substituting in syndicated crap no one cares about. Somewhere in all this you can factor in satellite radio paywalls with better national content and free podcasts...all of which eluded terrestrial radio management's ability to work into their content ecosystem.

Meanwhile, innovative businesses in other industries that focused on creating great, free, digital content built audiences and flourished through ad revenue. Google charges for nothing and generates over $2B in annual ad revenue.
    Last edited by Shas; 10-25-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    As I referenced, the newspaper business was equally myopic in focusing only on the money instead of the product.

Their first business model was free content only, which cannibalized their subscription business. The responded by cutting local content creators and packing their digital content with an advertising assault that chased readers. Then they then tried paywalls, but by then had already chased away readers unwilling to come back and pay for reconstituted national news.

Meanwhile, innovative businesses that focused on creating great, free, digital content built audiences and flourished through ad revenue. Google charges for nothing and generates over $2B in annual ad revenue.
    I totally get it. I could have seen where it would be the best place in the world for listening to Ravens talk. People forget, there may be only 32 teams and no matter how popular the team, there will be worldwide appeal.

Like you could have a little money, $2800 or ALL the money! Morons. Glad I stopped listening years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

Their early business model made their existing content free to everyone online, which soon cannibalized their subscription business. They responded to this lost revenue by cutting quality local content (replacing it with cheap, syndicated national content). When that didn't reverse the tide, they packed this inferior digital content with an advertising assault. When that failed, they then tried paywalls in front of their diminished product, but by then they had already chased away readers unwilling to come back and pay for reconstituted national news.

I gladly pay for great content on The Athletic but would never pay to read The Sun.

I'm seeing the same thing now with radio cutting local content and substituting in syndicated crap no one cares about. Somewhere in all this you can factor in satellite radio paywalls with better national content and free podcasts...all of which eluded terrestrial radio management's ability to work into their content ecosystem.

Meanwhile, innovative businesses in other industries that focused on creating great, free, digital content built audiences and flourished through ad revenue. Google charges for nothing and generates over $2B in annual ad revenue.
    Focusing solely on $$$$$$$$$$$ is not a issue that is only affecting the industries we are discussing - it has afflicted virtually all business ventures. I know business has to make money to stay in business, however, cutting the quality of the product you are trying to sell is the short cut to bankruptcy not profits. Cutting quality drives away whatever customers you were able to attract in the first place and doesn't replace them.

Guys I like at 105.7...

Ed, Rob, Haynie, Weinman. Ed and Haynie gives a bit of the "everyday fan" type of vibe, and I think Rob and Weinman really know their sports.

I'm "ok" with Conn. I think he can be pretty corny, and I get tired of the gambling talk, but he's pretty knowledgable about sports too.

I cannot stand Coleman or Ford. Ford to me comes across as an overgrown child trying to be funny way too much. He's dialed it back a bit over time, but still annoying. Coleman is awful and he's the guy who thinks he knows way more than he actually does and is incredibly condescending.

To the OP's original point though, The Fan's website is awful and also like you, it's incredibly annoying that they don't replay segments of the shows.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Guys I like at 105.7...

Ed, Rob, Haynie, Weinman. Ed and Haynie gives a bit of the "everyday fan" type of vibe, and I think Rob and Weinman really know their sports.

I'm "ok" with Conn. I think he can be pretty corny, and I get tired of the gambling talk, but he's pretty knowledgable about sports too.

I cannot stand Coleman or Ford. Ford to me comes across as an overgrown child trying to be funny way too much. He's dialed it back a bit over time, but still annoying. Coleman is awful and he's the guy who thinks he knows way more than he actually does and is incredibly condescending.

To the OP's original point though, The Fan's website is awful and also like you, it's incredibly annoying that they don't replay segments of the shows.
    Coleman=Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Focusing solely on $$$$$$$$$$$ is not a issue that is only affecting the industries we are discussing - it has afflicted virtually all business ventures. I know business has to make money to stay in business, however, cutting the quality of the product you are trying to sell is the short cut to bankruptcy not profits. Cutting quality drives away whatever customers you were able to attract in the first place and doesn't replace them.
    Agreed, and since you raised the issue, in my own personal experience I can tell you that ageism is definitely a thing. I am seeing businesses in my industry choosing to pay kids in their twenties 60% of the money to do 20% of the work I can do, which drove me to become and independent contractor two years ago. It's these same companies who had cut payroll to save money that are finding now they can't get the same work done with the same number of people, so they hire me to come in to cover the difference. They end up spending more in the long run, and I end up getting less in the long run. Go figure.

My industry is also guilty of failing to invest in training employees. I used to see budgets for sending people to conferences and seminars, but that slowly eroded to nothing. And when they need to innovate to respond to new challenges like digital platforms, no one has the expertise to lead the effort, forcing them to spend on bringing in outside expertise, or dying.

So yeah, myopic.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    I just went to their page the audio vault is gone and it's mostly full of politics. No thanks.
    Just saw revamped page. Not a big fan either. Oh well.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

My listening is now 99% podcasts and the 1% comes from radio when I forget a streaming device or am driving something that can't stream onto the radio and I didn't bring an adapter. That 1% might be high, it might be 0.1%. And I am self-employed and drive a lot and also often listen while I am working. I am the listener you want. other than being old (bad demographic).

This site should build a nice stable of podcasts and forget about doing any local terrestrial radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Guys I like at 105.7...

If you download and listen to the show through the Radio.com app you can use the rewind feature and listen to the earlier shows that day. Not sure if it archives previous day shows though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My listening is now 99% podcasts and the 1% comes from radio when I forget a streaming device or am driving something that can't stream onto the radio and I didn't bring an adapter. That 1% might be high, it might be 0.1%. And I am self-employed and drive a lot and also often listen while I am working. I am the listener you want. other than being old (bad demographic).

This site should build a nice stable of podcasts and forget about doing any local terrestrial radio.
    I was a little slow about moving over to podcasts, but COVID helped push me the rest of the way. Even when I commute now I almost never listen to radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I was a little slow about moving over to podcasts, but COVID helped push me the rest of the way. Even when I commute now I almost never listen to radio.
    Yep...I start w/Sirus, then move to podcasts. The only time I listen to radio is when I'm in my daughter's car & she's driving. Even then, it's usually Spotify for music w/no commercials. I will tune in to 105.7 and WBAL for some pre/post Ravens stuff, and for maybe half an hour after a loss just to hear what ppl are yelling about. And, I'm the listener, other than age, that advertisers want. Listen all day long while working.