Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT: Who runs the 105.7 page?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    This how difficult is it to upload daily podcasts? I mean even nestor manages to do it as a one man show of course it would help if he had anything worth listening to
    Nestor's chats with Marty Conway are well worth listening to.

I do hope there is a shake up. I don't root for anyone losing their jobs, but I've stopped listening to the morning show altogether. I can't take the condescending, whiney tone of that show.

As much as an a-hole Nestor is, I have to say that his "graduates" Haney, Conn, and Ford are the best three on WJZ. I would build around them.

I know that half of you can't stand LaCanfora for his political views, but I appreciate the guests he attracts to his show. Weinman was better when paired with Conn.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I do hope there is a shake up. I don't root for anyone losing their jobs, but I've stopped listening to the morning show altogether. I can't take the condescending, whiney tone of that show.

As much as an a-hole Nestor is, I have to say that his "graduates" Haney, Conn, and Ford are the best three on WJZ. I would build around them.

I know that half of you can't stand LaCanfora for his political views, but I appreciate the guests he attracts to his show. Weinman was better when paired with Conn.
    Weinman and Conn should have been the afternoon show after Garceau left to work for the Orioles broadcast team.

Does anyone want to listen to Weinman and LaCanfora rant at each other for four hours every day. Conn’s sense of humor plays off nicely against Weinman’s rants.

Nestor has been good at identifying radio talent, but he’s burned every bridge in his career. If he was better at managing a radio station we would have a viable local alternative to 105.7.
    Last edited by xiao_ke; 10-24-2020 at 01:21 PM.

I agree. It's a chemistry thing and they don't seem to get it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Hope so.

I've gotten so annoyed of the morning show that I now listen to the guy on 1300 AM. They talk Ravens almost as much, but without the obvious political bias (my perception). I'll even tolerate the fact the 1300 AM guy seems to be a Browns dan.

That is how much the 105.7 morning show is.

I used to like Rob Long, but paired with Norris and the other guy, I can't stand Rob either now.
    I thought Rob and Ed was a good pairing. I just can't stand Jerry whatshisname
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by RavensPPark View Post
    Nestor's chats with Marty Conway are well worth listening to.

I just went to their page the audio vault is gone and it's mostly full of politics. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Terry Ford should have a daily show on 105.7 instead we get the likes of Jason LaCanfora and Vinny. I wasn’t a huge fan of Scott Garceau and Jeremy Conn’s afternoon show, but it’s way better than LaCanfora and Weinman.

How is the station management at 105.7 so utterly clueless at hiring decent radio talent.
    Management doesn't have their eyes on 'talent'; they only have their eyes on $$$$ - the cheaper the 'talent' the bigger the bottom line $$$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Seems like all the Entercom Radio properties nationwide are being pruned of 'talent' in cost cutting measures. Since Covid started they have cut back local talent to 6AM to 9PM M-F. The rest of the time it is the Radio.com (formerly CBS Radio) programming.
    Entercom has been bleeding cash for 5 years. Their financials are a disaster. Not sure how they can survive carrying $2billion in debt and losing hundreds of millions for several years running.

They already had some major layoffs and pay cuts in April and in September after 1Q and 2Q numbers were posted. 3Q numbers will post in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Entercom has been bleeding cash for 5 years. Their financials are a disaster. Not sure how they can survive carrying $2billion in debt and losing hundreds of millions for several years running.

They already had some major layoffs and pay cuts in April and in September after 1Q and 2Q numbers were posted. 3Q numbers will post in a couple weeks.
    They will chalk it up to people being stuck at home rather than commuting with the radio on.

But really radio has been as bad as the newspaper business in figuring out how to cope with the digital age.

The station really has no online presence. Sure, they have a radio.com page where you can listen live, but 90% of the content are ads. They really should have embraced online and social media as part of a sports ecosystem. Tony has related how he tried to work with them, and they treated him like garbage. If they were smart they would have done deals to be a true partner so he could bring content and value to their business and vice versa.

Hearst has a very small radio presence but they have done this much better at 98 Rock, not that they done a fabulous job, but it's a very low bar. 98 Rock simulcasts video of their shows and has their morning show crossing over into late night TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post

Damn, didn't know their numbers were apocalyptic. You have to take a different direction when it's that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Yes and if you’ve looked before and found it too expensive, they have streaming options now
    Streaming plus unlimited data plan = not needing the radio plan in your car as well

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    They will chalk it up to people being stuck at home rather than commuting with the radio on.

But really radio has been as bad as the newspaper business in figuring out how to cope with the digital age.

The station really has no online presence. Sure, they have a radio.com page where you can listen live, but 90% of the content are ads. They really should have embraced online and social media as part of a sports ecosystem. Tony has related how he tried to work with them, and they treated him like garbage. If they were smart they would have done deals to be a true partner so he could bring content and value to their business and vice versa.

Hearst has a very small radio presence but they have done this much better at 98 Rock, not that they done a fabulous job, but it's a very low bar. 98 Rock simulcasts video of their shows and has their morning show crossing over into late night TV.
    It had the potential to be a great partnership but it's a one-way street there at Entercom and the culture is rather toxic. They didn't care about me or us. They only cared about the $2800 per month that we shelled out for 4 hours to talk time per month. And then they did our customers a disservice by taking out our ads during the online/streaming broadcast and subbing in their own ads, which infuriated a couple of my customers. We had the No. 1 ranked show in our time slot but none of that mattered to them. Just the money.

I haven't missed a day of broadcasting from their rudderless spaceship at 1423 Clarkview Road.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi