Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running game not there, yet, either

Real happy they've gotten a pass rusher. That goes after their biggest weakness.

But I'm not seeing the running game right now. Last year the ran between the tackles for big yardage time, time and again. It's not happening now.Last game, announcers were noting that Gus was trying to go east-west searching for holes w/o much luck.Last year, it was straight up the middle time after time.They aren't getting the blocking there like they did, and the holes aren't opening.

What's happening?

Re: Running game not there, yet, either

It's just the run blocking. They've been horrendous at it. Hopefully things turn around here soon.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

RG still needs work, Center is coming off a bad injury, and Stanley has missed time. They need to gel. Tyre Phillips has been just good enough that it’s prudent to give him more time to grow, especially with how bad Mekari has been.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    RG still needs work, Center is coming off a bad injury, and Stanley has missed time. They need to gel. Tyre Phillips has been just good enough that it’s prudent to give him more time to grow, especially with how bad Mekari has been.
    What's wrong with Fluker at RG? Are they that dependent on him as tackle depth?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    What's wrong with Fluker at RG? Are they that dependent on him as tackle depth?
    Seems like it. I don’t think they want to risk him getting hurt and I doubt his play was significantly better than Phillips during camp. Also Fluker is likely not on the roster next year so there is vested interest in playing Tyre unless he is garbage so that they know what they have at RG for 2021.

The run's their biggest wpn. against the good teams. They'll need it badly.It'll take the pressure off the passing game and LJ. It'll go a long way toward nullifying Pitts.' pass rush.You don't want those second and nine's.

Blog Entries

I've been critical of the offense as well. It's clearly not what it was last year. They aren't putting together long, soul-killing drives that close out games. When they really needed one against Cinci they lasted all of 27 seconds. Ask the ladies: that don't get 'er done.

But, even so, this isn't a bad offense and it's wrong to think of it as one. They still put up points against anyone not called the Chiefs. At least, they have so far. Yes, they have a lot of work to do and neither the run game nor the passing game is where anyone wants it, but it's an offense more than good enough to win football games. Even if Sam Koch is getting more work than most of us would like besides holding the ball for Tucker.

BTW - has anyone ever gone to the HoF as a placekick holder? Just asking.

The O-line definitely isn't as good as last year run or pass, and that's definitely part of the problem. Another is they aren't calling as many options or designed runs for LJ. Which I like, so even if it's hurting the run game I don't want them trying to get him another 1,000 yards rushing season. They need to fix the run game so it doesn't rely as much on LJ running the football, and Roman needs to go back to being willing to run more.

Blocking hasn't been as good. I think Ingram is done as a nfl player as well. He doesn't have any juice in his legs. Well see if it improves with more carries shifting to the other rbs

They've scored on everybody not named the Chiefs, STEELERS AND TITANS.Remains to be seen if they'll score on those two.From what I've seen, the Ravens have to go a long way to return to last year's level and be a threat to those good teams.The line has to open the holes so the backs can do their thing, and force Pitts., in particular, to slow their rush.Otherwise, the Steelers will lay their ears back and rush in on Lamar.

Hard to score on a team you haven't played yet.

Blog Entries

The Yanda effect....

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Hard to score on a team you haven't played yet.
    May be hard to score on them when they DO.