Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: ravens will sign DEZ to practice squad

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    But he would have been on the practice squad?

It does nothing to impact the active 53 guys. They're still taking all the 1st and 2nd team practice reps. THey're still the focus. Dez would have been treated just like any other PS players.

The upside is he would have been learning the playbook/getting in shape the whole time.

I dont know - just seems weird to me to wait.
    Could be that he had some sort of nagging injury that didn't allow him to workout and get in shape?

Or, it was a wink nod like "Get into better shape, and if nothing comes along, we'll sign you down the road to our PS" and go from there".

Question. IIRC, Dez is good outside the numbers and along the sideline. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Could be that he had some sort of nagging injury that didn't allow him to workout and get in shape?

Or, it was a wink nod like "Get into better shape, and if nothing comes along, we'll sign you down the road to our PS" and go from there".

Question. IIRC, Dez is good outside the numbers and along the sideline. Am I correct?
    He is. He would be a good fit in that role, but he's also not the same Dez.

If he had an injury, I think it would have been reported. If it was about getting in shape, there's zero risk in getting him to prove that on the PS. That's why I said it was low risk in August too.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

But he would have been on the practice squad?

It does nothing to impact the active 53 guys. They're still taking all the 1st and 2nd team practice reps. THey're still the focus. Dez would have been treated just like any other PS players.

The upside is he would have been learning the playbook/getting in shape the whole time.

I dont know - just seems weird to me to wait.
    Because with the new rules around practice squad they can only protect 4 players every week and based on who they were protecting Dez could have very well been snatch up by someone else.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Because with the new rules around practice squad they can only protect 4 players every week and based on who they were protecting Dez could have very well been snatch up by someone else.
    That doesn't make sense.

He could have been snatched up for the last 6 weeks as a free agent? Lol.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

He is. He would be a good fit in that role, but he's also not the same Dez.

If he had an injury, I think it would have been reported. If it was about getting in shape, there's zero risk in getting him to prove that on the PS. That's why I said it was low risk in August too.
    Even if he isn't the same Dez, I think he should be able to get open on the sidelines because of his size and body control. As long as the hands are still good, he could help.

The only other thing i can think of is that they wanted to keep someone on the PS (Colon-Castillo?) and didn't want to risk losing them.

Blog Entries

If he could be even a poor man's Derrick Mason, I'd be over the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Even if he isn't the same Dez, I think he should be able to get open on the sidelines because of his size and body control. As long as the hands are still good, he could help.

The only other thing i can think of is that they wanted to keep someone on the PS (Colon-Castillo?) and didn't want to risk losing them.
    It's possible. At the end of the day this move isn't that big of a deal. I just found it really odd. I wanted him here the whole time.
    - Ray Lewis

That doesn't make sense.

He could have been snatched up for the last 6 weeks as a free agent? Lol.
    The same reason Dez wasn't signed to our PS back then must have been the same reason why 31 other teams didn't sign him all this time. Our interest in him is a hail mary and an indictment on how dissapointing Boykins has been
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Maybe the Ravens are trying to see how much he wants it. The practice squad is a good sign...I'm optimistic.

Interesting for The Ravens to try and sign Dez Bryant whom hasn't played in 2 years over guys like Demaryius Thomas and Mohammad Sanu. Maybe The Ravens did see something they like when they worked out Bryant in August but I don't really know.

How does he look to you guys?

https://youtu.be/_eHMpZL02s8

The question is - why hasn't he just been on PS the whole time then?
    because in August this was essentially the same receiving corp that lead the league in TDs (minus Hurst, but with some promising rookies). anyway, i love the move, especially to the PS. perfect way to set the tone of the relationship, and easy to cut bait if it ain't working. and even if he's past his prime, i still love the idea of a tall receiver in there for red zone plays. we clearly don't have a great passing scheme, might as well get a better jump-ball guy