Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: 2 Star General Relieved of Command for Using a Racial Slur.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    You could call me a honky. Or anything for that matter it wouldn’t bother me in the least.
    Because there is no term that has ever been used to oppress, demean, or enslave white people. That's why white people don't ever feel anything.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Ahh.. yes...uh.. "different".... because reasons

(Shrugs and moves on to a more productive conversation).
    When a man calls another man a bitch, he's calling him soft, powerless, scared, effeminate. All of those characteristics are coincidentally what women have gone through at the hands of many men through rape, abuse, and various forms of sexual assault.

It's always been used as a derogatory word towards women or to used toward a man to imply he's a basically a woman.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to just leave the word out of your mouth, especially around or towards women. It's not that hard. Lololol it really baffles me how some of y'all have such a burning desire to be able to say everything to everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    When a man calls another man a bitch, he's calling him soft, powerless, scared, effeminate. All of those characteristics are coincidentally what women have gone through at the hands of many men through rape, abuse, and various forms of sexual assault.

It's always been used as a derogatory word towards women or to used toward a man to imply he's a basically a woman.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to just leave the word out of your mouth, especially around or towards women. It's not that hard. Lololol it really baffles me how some of y'all have such a burning desire to be able to say everything to everybody.

I don't have a burning desire to denigrate anyone.

The point was that Popular Black Music uses these words constantly.

To denigrate women, and each other.

Perhaps you should direct your outrage there.

(but we both know you won't)

I don't have a burning desire to denigrate anyone.

The point was that Popular Black Music uses these words constantly.

To denigrate women, and each other.

Perhaps you should direct your outrage there.

(but we both know you won't)
    Bro you have NO IDEA what I think about that type of music. I don't listen to it. I don't promote it, and it goes against everything I believe in.

Bro you have NO IDEA what I think about that type of music. I don't listen to it. I don't promote it, and it goes against everything I believe in.

Hmmm.. maybe it would do you well then to not say things like "y'all have such a burning desire to be able to say everything to everybody"... because generalizing sorta takes away your ability to object to generalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    This is a surprisingly articulate post.

I find myself in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Iceman that there are certain words or phrases that groups can use to describe themselves that would be offensive if used by someone outside that group. Linemen call each other variations of the term "fat" routinely. It would be a mistake for most people to call Baby Zeus a fatty. I don't find this racist or all that surprising. Humans are a tribal species and our language reflects that.

The double standard is distressing, however. When black stars such as Ice Cube and Nick Canon make vicious anti-Semitic statements with no pushback, it creates a sense of normalcy for hatred. I believe this is less about race and more about ideology. Look at how often black Republicans are inundated with racist attacks such as "c--n", "Uncle Tom", etc... from other blacks and democrats.
    Nick Cannon was fired!

Hmmm.. maybe it would do you well then to not say things like "y'all have such a burning desire to be able to say everything to everybody"... because generalizing sorta takes away your ability to object to generalizing.
    My bad....a lot of white people feel the need to use the word for some reason.

There is no loss of liberty as you tried to insinuate earlier. You can say the word as much as you want in your own home or in public without facing any legal trouble whatsoever. Whether you get fired from your job is a completely different story altogether and has nothing to do with liberty.

My bad....a lot of white people feel the need to use the word for some reason.

There is no loss of liberty as you tried to insinuate earlier. You can say the word as much as you want in your own home or in public without facing any legal trouble whatsoever. Whether you get fired from your job is a completely different story altogether and has nothing to do with liberty.

In this case, wasn't it government that was punishing the speech?

In this case, wasn't it government that was punishing the speech?
    The only question is whether or not is he in any legal trouble, and the answer is unequivocally no. There is absolutely no loss of liberty surrounding the use of that word.

The only question is whether or not is he in any legal trouble, and the answer is unequivocally no. There is absolutely no loss of liberty surrounding the use of that word.

Ummm.. no. That's not so at all.

But as a white man, it's not his place to teach that lesson. I doubt he has a lesson to even teach. If he didn't like it, tell them to turn it off for sure, but there's no lesson to be had.

If it was me and there were a bunch of Spanish kids playing songs worth the S word, what the hell kind of lesson could I teach them about that word and their culture? I'm not Spanish, I didn't grow up Spanish, so therefore there's nothing for me to say besides turn it off.

You are speaking to the original point I was making earlier in the thread about being part of the culture and the word. So I completely understand and agree with you. I just dont think the general should have been fired

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ummm.. no. That's not so at all.
    What is not so? His liberty is still very much intact