Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast

Re: Why vote for Biden

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Trump won the votes cause he won the states. No one bought anyone
    Yup..by the slimmest of margins in three states. Will blacks who wernt feeling Hillary come out and vote this time? Will the Obama/Trump voter stay with Trump? Will independents hold their nose and vote for Joe to have normalcy? Will the hidden majority of whites come out of the woodwork in non urban areas in greater numbers than before?

That sums up the election for me

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I like the Electoral College. It's not working correctly, however. Nor is the problem with the Constitution. It's with the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929.

I like the EC because we choose the President of the United States as states. We have 50 (plus one) elections, and then we use a weighted count of those elections to determine who the POTUS is. Doing it this way indirectly gives us a firewall protecting the whole system from screw-ups in one state. The 2000 Florida Fiasco is a perfect example. Had we elected the POTUS by the popular vote in 2000 the entire country would have been Florida, peering at dented chads and recounting ballots trying to see if a few more votes for each candidate could be mined out of the piles. The unofficial popular vote tally separated the two by 500,000 votes, which seems like a lot but was out of 110 million. So, less than one half of one percent was the margin of "victory." It's been a long time since I had the links, but the average margin of error in official ballot tallies across the states was more than 1%. But because of the firewall created by the EC system only Florida had to endure the months of ridicule and incompetence, and, let's face it, Florida Man is used to that. He can handle it.

Fixing it isn't difficult, though politically it's probably not going to happen. One approach is one we should take anyway: expand the size of the House. Congressional districts are too large, and they shouldn't be. It should be possible to win a Congressional seat on a "shoe leather" campaign, but instead it takes millions of dollars in political contributions. Increasing the size of the House would also expand the Electoral College and bring it more in line with the popular vote. Another option (one that could happen in conjunction with the first) is adopting proportional allocation of EC votes instead of winner-take-all. Or allocate EC votes based on Congressional district with two votes going to the winner of the state. This, too, would bring the EC vote more in line with the popular vote. It would also mean the votes of Republicans in true Blue states like California and Maryland would also get counted in the EC, as well as those of Democrats in true Red states like Mississippi. Both of these wouldn't require a constitutional amendment.

One solution that would require a constitutional amendment is severing the EC from the apportionment of the House. In the original constitution, each state received one electoral vote for each 30,000 residents (counting 3/5ths of the human chattel) plus two. We could amend the Constitution to restore that balance and allocate EC votes accordingly. I'd also still want the proportional allocation instead of winner-take-all under that design as well. I don't think it's good policy to have millions of voters in states basically not count because they're in the minority party in that state.
    I laughed when you said “only 500,000”.

Not because it was funny. But because the left and the media are making 250,000 in a country with 330 million, to be a big number.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    Yup..by the slimmest of margins in three states. Will blacks who wernt feeling Hillary come out and vote this time? Will the Obama/Trump voter stay with Trump? Will independents hold their nose and vote for Joe to have normalcy? Will the hidden majority of whites come out of the woodwork in non urban areas in greater numbers than before?

That sums up the election for me

It would appear that Biden has less support than Hilary did.

https://spectator.org/biden-black-hi...-voters-polls/

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Text DickTake to 30330.

5. Re: Why vote for Biden

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Actually, there is nothing odd about it. It is exactly what the framers intended. One state should three states should not determine the president. We are a union of states. Each stare gets a proportioned vote.

Instead of calling. The EC corrupt (with there is zero evidence of this). You should be calling for the contrition to be changed. Maybe support a president that would like to change the country to a democracy. Or a dictatorship?

But calling the EC corrupt, with zero evidence, is just whining.

Actually there have been about 165 faithless electors over 58 elections but only a handful have crossed parties.

As for the EC...what we have is a compromise. Madison argued vehemently against the EC in its present form as he outlined in the Federalist Papers. He never wanted a winner take all prospect in any state and in the original draft of the constitution it was explicitly forbiden. The reason being 2 fold. First, it could disenfranchise 49% of a states population. Second he felt that it would require candidates to take all states into consideration.

6. Re: Why vote for Biden

You still haven’t answered the question. Will you accept Trump as the president when he wins on nov 4?
    Have you answered his question? will you accept Biden as president if he wins?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It would appear that Biden has less support than Hilary did.

https://spectator.org/biden-black-hi...-voters-polls/
    I read that article earlier today. I don't buy it. Hillary drew negative emotions from everybody. I'm not commenting on Latino community as I'm not plugged into it. In our community, based on people I know, podcast that I've listened to, comments from black twitter, yes black twitter ... Biden isn't loved, but is liked a hell of allot more than Hillary. People want him out and they will vote since they know what happened the last time they didn't vote.

I put it to u this way. I'm not plugged into the community of suburbia who are afraid that they are going to be "come for" if Biden gets elected. Since I'm not privy to that, I think it's hogwash. I could be wrong.

Just like this author, he doesnt really know if he doesn't swing in those circles.

Blog Entries

I laughed when you said “only 500,000”.

Not because it was funny. But because the left and the media are making 250,000 in a country with 330 million, to be a big number.
    Context always matters. Those 250,000 aren't out of 330 million, though that's the larger population, and it's a still-growing number. Remember when it used be fifteen and soon will be almost zero? Seems so long ago.

Is four a big number? It's not if you're talking four dollars as a day's pay. It is if you're talking about bodies you have to help your friend bury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StartWearingPurple View Post
    Like when the states of Michigan, Washington and others decline(d) Trumps offers of help?
    And then wanted bailout money?

Sure, just like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Actually there have been about 165 faithless electors over 58 elections but only a handful have crossed parties.

As for the EC...what we have is a compromise. Madison argued vehemently against the EC in its present form as he outlined in the Federalist Papers. He never wanted a winner take all prospect in any state and in the original draft of the constitution it was explicitly forbiden. The reason being 2 fold. First, it could disenfranchise 49% of a states population. Second he felt that it would require candidates to take all states into consideration.
    States choose how to apportion their electors with at least two (ME and NE) alloting them 2 for the statewide winner and the others by Congressional district. Petition MD to make the change, I am sure they will be willing to give up 1-3 of their otherwise locked in electors every POTUS election.

Text ImagineAllOfThoseCAandNYelectorsTrumpWouldGet to 30330.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I am not in favor of majority rule, but The electoral college isn’t really a good setup either. This is one of the reasons I am no longer a Democrat. I believe each state should be deciding it’s own fate, not the federal government.
    I can get behind this 100!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    This is based off of...what?

Your hunch?
    It’s not a hunch. C’mon man. Read between the lines and then between those.

The Bush/ Gore election was bought and paid for by Big Oil. Period. Bush IS an oil man , Evil Chaney was head of Haliburton ( who works hand in hand with Big Oil) and well ...Gore a was a nut job who not only invented the internet ...warned of the evils of fossil fuels.

The Trump election was and is brought to you by Wall St. who’s made out the best since his election ? Who’s basically printed money since his election? Who gains the most with Trump as Pres? Wall St! The Koch Bros and the rest of that scum bought the election for one of their own.

If you can’t see it ..I can’t help you.

Like I’ve said before ( in this very thread ) Both Bush and Trump are /were better choices than Gore or Killary. Period. That doesn’t mean they actually “won” the election. Both were basically put in office with an agenda.