Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Why vote for Biden

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I have no doubt that either Trump or his people paid some of the electors to vote him. He didn’t win the popular vote. He wasn’t even really backed by the GOP! He’s basically and independent who ran as a Rep and just embarrassed the shit outa everyone who was running on that ticket. Enough people didn’t want Hillary so he won some states and as it says in the article Atleast 7 electors ( admittedly) voted the other way or didn’t vote for Killary. Now would it really surprise you to find out a favor or two or some $$ from Trump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not sure if you do either.

You said is Trump going to buy the EC AGAIN.

What does that mean?

Blog Entries

We all know the EC is and can be corrupted. Most states do not enforce the obligations of their electors with punishment beyond not being eligible to be an elector again.

That being said ...the EC is corrupt. Why doesn’t anyone find it odd that the EC has only decided the out come in 3 elections since its start? Two in the last 20 yrs. both after an 8 yr Dem run. That doesn’t seem shady? Off kilter?

Now don’t get me wrong ....Trump is and was 1000% better than Killary...but still.

If you don't think the electoral college is a better system than pure popular vote, then you're not living in reality.

No one in Delaware wants New York City and Los Angeles dictating their way of life.

The pros of the electoral college far, far, far outweigh any positives of majority rule, which, btw, is exactly what the framers of the constitution were pretty explicit about wanting to avoid.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

It truly is quite comical how much some Rep love Trump. This dude isn’t a Republican! Hell he was a registered Democrat until 2009! He was a Major contributor to Bill Clinton! Shit ...they prob chased women together. Lol. That’s part of why Trump hates Killary!

Obama changed Trumps affiliations.

I dont think Obama changed Trump's affiliations so much as he moved the Democratic party further left thereby pushing a lot of center left democrats towards the Republican Party.

I have no doubt that either Trump or his people paid some of the electors to vote him.
    This is based off of...what?

Your hunch?
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    This is based off of...what?

Your hunch?
    I don’t think laxdad understands how the EC works. And I don’t think he realized that just because he thought up some off the wall scandal, that it actually happened.

That’s like me saying that “I have no doubt” Biden is killing republicans so his vote count will be higher “.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I don’t understand this question. The right has not denied results in my lifetime.
    The left hasn’t accepted a loss since 1988

So of course the right will accept the results.

Will you accept if trump is the winner? Or will you encourage your side to make up another scandal!
    Yes, I am willing to accept the results if that were to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If you don't think the electoral college is a better system than pure popular vote, then you're not living in reality.

No one in Delaware wants New York City and Los Angeles dictating their way of life.

The pros of the electoral college far, far, far outweigh any positives of majority rule, which, btw, is exactly what the framers of the constitution were pretty explicit about wanting to avoid.
    I am not in favor of majority rule, but The electoral college isn’t really a good setup either. This is one of the reasons I am no longer a Democrat. I believe each state should be deciding it’s own fate, not the federal government.

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    I am not in favor of majority rule, but The electoral college isn’t really a good setup either. This is one of the reasons I am no longer a Democrat. I believe each state should be deciding it’s own fate, not the federal government.
    Stuff the federal government back into the Constitutional Cage that the founders created for it.

I like that kind of talk.

Blog Entries

I like the Electoral College. It's not working correctly, however. Nor is the problem with the Constitution. It's with the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929.

I like the EC because we choose the President of the United States as states. We have 50 (plus one) elections, and then we use a weighted count of those elections to determine who the POTUS is. Doing it this way indirectly gives us a firewall protecting the whole system from screw-ups in one state. The 2000 Florida Fiasco is a perfect example. Had we elected the POTUS by the popular vote in 2000 the entire country would have been Florida, peering at dented chads and recounting ballots trying to see if a few more votes for each candidate could be mined out of the piles. The unofficial popular vote tally separated the two by 500,000 votes, which seems like a lot but was out of 110 million. So, less than one half of one percent was the margin of "victory." It's been a long time since I had the links, but the average margin of error in official ballot tallies across the states was more than 1%. But because of the firewall created by the EC system only Florida had to endure the months of ridicule and incompetence, and, let's face it, Florida Man is used to that. He can handle it.

Fixing it isn't difficult, though politically it's probably not going to happen. One approach is one we should take anyway: expand the size of the House. Congressional districts are too large, and they shouldn't be. It should be possible to win a Congressional seat on a "shoe leather" campaign, but instead it takes millions of dollars in political contributions. Increasing the size of the House would also expand the Electoral College and bring it more in line with the popular vote. Another option (one that could happen in conjunction with the first) is adopting proportional allocation of EC votes instead of winner-take-all. Or allocate EC votes based on Congressional district with two votes going to the winner of the state. This, too, would bring the EC vote more in line with the popular vote. It would also mean the votes of Republicans in true Blue states like California and Maryland would also get counted in the EC, as well as those of Democrats in true Red states like Mississippi. Both of these wouldn't require a constitutional amendment.

One solution that would require a constitutional amendment is severing the EC from the apportionment of the House. In the original constitution, each state received one electoral vote for each 30,000 residents (counting 3/5ths of the human chattel) plus two. We could amend the Constitution to restore that balance and allocate EC votes accordingly. I'd also still want the proportional allocation instead of winner-take-all under that design as well. I don't think it's good policy to have millions of voters in states basically not count because they're in the minority party in that state.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I like the Electoral College. It's not working correctly, however. Nor is the problem with the Constitution. It's with the Permanent Apportionment Act of 1929.

I like the EC because we choose the President of the United States as states. We have 50 (plus one) elections, and then we use a weighted count of those elections to determine who the POTUS is. Doing it this way indirectly gives us a firewall protecting the whole system from screw-ups in one state. The 2000 Florida Fiasco is a perfect example. Had we elected the POTUS by the popular vote in 2000 the entire country would have been Florida, peering at dented chads and recounting ballots trying to see if a few more votes for each candidate could be mined out of the piles. The unofficial popular vote tally separated the two by 500,000 votes, which seems like a lot but was out of 110 million. So, less than one half of one percent was the margin of "victory." It's been a long time since I had the links, but the average margin of error in official ballot tallies across the states was more than 1%. But because of the firewall created by the EC system only Florida had to endure the months of ridicule and incompetence, and, let's face it, Florida Man is used to that. He can handle it.

Fixing it isn't difficult, though politically it's probably not going to happen. One approach is one we should take anyway: expand the size of the House. Congressional districts are too large, and they shouldn't be. It should be possible to win a Congressional seat on a "shoe leather" campaign, but instead it takes millions of dollars in political contributions. Increasing the size of the House would also expand the Electoral College and bring it more in line with the popular vote. Another option (one that could happen in conjunction with the first) is adopting proportional allocation of EC votes instead of winner-take-all. Or allocate EC votes based on Congressional district with two votes going to the winner of the state. This, too, would bring the EC vote more in line with the popular vote. It would also mean the votes of Republicans in true Blue states like California and Maryland would also get counted in the EC, as well as those of Democrats in true Red states like Mississippi. Both of these wouldn't require a constitutional amendment.

One solution that would require a constitutional amendment is severing the EC from the apportionment of the House. In the original constitution, each state received one electoral vote for each 30,000 residents (counting 3/5ths of the human chattel) plus two. We could amend the Constitution to restore that balance and allocate EC votes accordingly. I'd also still want the proportional allocation instead of winner-take-all under that design as well. I don't think it's good policy to have millions of voters in states basically not count because they're in the minority party in that state.
    I would be for this. Definitely.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    Stuff the federal government back into the Constitutional Cage that the founders created for it.

I like that kind of talk.

I look forward to the day when the States find their balls and take the power back leaving those withered federal scumbags with nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I look forward to the day when the States find their balls and take the power back leaving those withered federal scumbags with nothing.
    Like when the states of Michigan, Washington and others decline(d) Trumps offers of help?