Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Time to let LJ be LJ again

LJ not using his legs more is pretty much like having Tony Banks or Anthony Wright in at QB lately, but with perhaps less turnovers.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I saw LJ being LJ on the constant rolling right plays and mostly looking pedestrian. One time he took off, one time Boyle helped him out.

I don't see him throwing long balls which was his main hole last year and still is his main hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    LJ not using his legs more is pretty much like having Tony Banks or Anthony Wright in at QB lately, but with perhaps less turnovers.
    You’re trying to catch a ban arnt you!? Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    You’re trying to catch a ban arnt you!? Lmao.

LJ hit a rough patch that’s all I’m saying. No matter what they do it will be up to LJ to improve in certain areas. Granted the oline and Roman aren’t making it any easier on him, but the league has caught up with him and he needs to make progress with his arm if he isn’t able to run the same way he did last season. It’s not always there for the taking they’re reading LJ pretty well now. I still think he’s hurt and not near 100% either.

LJ hit a rough patch that’s all I’m saying. No matter what they do it will be up to LJ to improve in certain areas. Granted the oline and Roman aren’t making it any easier on him, but the league has caught up with him and he needs to make progress with his arm if he isn’t able to run the same way he did last season. It’s not always there for the taking they’re reading LJ pretty well now. I still think he’s hurt and not near 100% either.
    I agree with ya 100% ....but it’s not a popular opinion here to criticize LJ at all. I mean he walks on water after all. Lol.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

He's not seeing the long ball

LJ can't be there LJ for a multitude of reasons

Don't think he's a 100%. His accuracy and velocity is off. Very little deep ball attempts and when has the numbers aren't good
    Opponents are defending the RO more effectively
    Lack of a 3rd option in the passing game as allowed teams to clog the middle of the field and bracket Andrews and Brown
    OL isn't providing the running lanes that used to be there last year and that has a lot to do with how teams are attacking the LOS
    The pass protection hasn't been good and finally......LJ is pressing when things aren't clicking.
    If these challenges continue we won't be good enought to overcome sooner or later
    I don't know what the solution is but it certainly involves better execution by Lamar and the offense and maybe an upgrade at the WR positon who gives Lamar another viable target.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Just one thing Bear. Lamar wants to be a “pocket passer”. He’s said from the start that he wants to improve as a passer. He said “ I don’t like to run “.

He’s a kid who’s used to being the team. He’s always been the best player on the grass. He’s pushes himself to be the best.

That said ...if he’s pushing to pass more , stay home and not run on broken plays ...then isn’ t that Lamar being Lamar ? The player last year was Lamar being what Harbs and Roman wanted.

The Lamar we saw last year is the same Lamar we’ve seen since we’ve been seeing him, because no coach out there can pull themselves away from his running ability long enough to bother trying to make him into more of a pocket passer the way he wants. It’s the same crap we saw from Petrino. Lamar goes with it, because he listens to his coach like a good player should and he sees that it works and wants to win at all costs. However, as you stated and as several of us tried to state three years ago, Lamar does not want to do all of this running.

Now he’s hurt and we always end up in playoff situations where we have to throw. But he, nor the talent around him (Not as good as it should be) is not as prepared as he should be, because the only reason Harbaugh even went all in on this offense (First time he’s ever went all in on an offense), is because he knew it would be based around the RUN. Period. If this were just about any other QB, there is no way in the world Harbaugh would have thrown this much passion behind building the offense.

At one point in the game the announcer said Harbs challenged Lamar to get other guys involved in the passing game and Boyle has his best game (for Boyle) since Nov of last season. Willie Snead finally got some action along with Duvernay. What Lamar needs to continue to do is get other guys involved and stop letting defenses key on 15/89. Today was a step in the right direction imo

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    At one point in the game the announcer said Harbs challenged Lamar to get other guys involved in the passing game and Boyle has his best game (for Boyle) since Nov of last season. Willie Snead finally got some action along with Duvernay. What Lamar needs to continue to do is get other guys involved and stop letting defenses key on 15/89. Today was a step in the right direction imo

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    That makes sense. From there, the issue will come in when the game gets tight or when one of those other pieces is struggling. A player tends to revert to tendency.

Pressure should lead to more QB keepers. When the pocket breaks down – get outa there. If you can throw on the run – do it. Otherwise you those gifted legs and haul ass. He’s not doing that. It’s like he’s staying home to prove he can. To shut up the nay-sayers. Don’t know for sure but LJ has prob been sacked more this year so far than all of last year?
    Not quite, yet.

But he has been sacked a ton. The rate is much higher than last year. It's almost to the level of his rookie season.

But I don't think Lamar is staying home just to prove he can. I think the rushing lanes (generally) aren't there, because of the way defenses are crashing down. They're really crowding the short area. The pressure + the crowding should lead to more deep ball opportunities. But we haven't been able to sync up on those, so far.

LJ hit a rough patch that’s all I’m saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    He's not seeing the long ball
    I agree with ya 100% – but it’s not a popular opinion here to criticize LJ at all. I mean he walks on water after all. Lol.
    Thru game one of this season, I woulda told you to shut yo mouf if you tried to criticize Lamar.

But I'm with Desert and Jacks. Lamar has not been playing well, this past month. Vision and decision-making.