Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Time to let LJ be LJ again

The first 5 games its been clear that they are working on creating a more pocket passer, as he took off under pressure rarely. He held the ball longer trying to find someone open creating more sacks and limiting his greatest strength, the ability to create some big plays scrambling.

Instead of taking off when he clearly had open space on some plays, he either threw the ball away rolling to the right or was sacked in the pocket.

Lamar was trying to be that pocket passer and put pressure on himself to do it no matter what. That's his desire and fire to succeed at all costs, which is both a positive or negative character trait. I love his competitive nature and today he started taking off a bit earlier when plays broke down or no one is open.

The defenses have adjusted to some of his designed runs but can never fully plan to stop him on broken plays. Work on being a great passer, but don't change his game when he has the ability to pull big runs.

They are in a window of opportunity right now.

Re: Time to let LJ be LJ again

Agreed as long as we can convince him to slide and run out of bounds.

I really think it’s because he’s hurt. His throwing motion is just all over the place. Hard to believe he just forgot how to throw after he was such a perfectionist last year.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    The first 5 games its been clear that they are working on creating a more pocket passer, as he took off under pressure rarely. He held the ball longer trying to find someone open creating more sacks and limiting his greatest strength, the ability to create some big plays scrambling.

Instead of taking off when he clearly had open space on some plays, he either threw the ball away rolling to the right or was sacked in the pocket.

Lamar was trying to be that pocket passer and put pressure on himself to do it no matter what. That's his desire and fire to succeed at all costs, which is both a positive or negative character trait. I love his competitive nature and today he started taking off a bit earlier when plays broke down or no one is open.

The defenses have adjusted to some of his designed runs but can never fully plan to stop him on broken plays. Work on being a great passer, but don't change his game when he has the ability to pull big runs.

They are in a window of opportunity right now.
    Just one thing Bear. Lamar wants to be a “pocket passer”. He’s said from the start that he wants to improve as a passer. He said “ I don’t like to run “.

He’s a kid who’s used to being the team. He’s always been the best player on the grass. He’s pushes himself to be the best.

That said ...if he’s pushing to pass more , stay home and not run on broken plays ...then isn’ t that Lamar being Lamar ? The player last year was Lamar being what Harbs and Roman wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Just one thing Bear. Lamar wants to be a “pocket passer”. He’s said from the start that he wants to improve as a passer. He said “ I don’t like to run “.

He’s a kid who’s used to being the team. He’s always been the best player on the grass. He’s pushes himself to be the best.

That said ...if he’s pushing to pass more , stay home and not run on broken plays ...then isn’ t that Lamar being Lamar ? The player last year was Lamar being what Harbs and Roman wanted.

I want him to run if theres nothing out there though and not hesitate. Let the run open up the pass like it did last year.

We're really missing Yanda.. all this really falls on our biggest weakness right now which is pass protection. I thought Lamar looked great today though

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I really think it’s because he’s hurt. His throwing motion is just all over the place.
    Pass-pro messing with his mind, maybe? Happy feet / discomfort in the pocket?

Taking sacks he doesn’t need to take and getting knocked out of FG range is on LJ though. Some of it is on him and his decision making and he should own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Taking sacks he doesn’t need to take and getting knocked out of FG range is on LJ though. Some of it is on him and his decision making and he should own it.
    How dare you!!!! Don’t you blaspheme here!!

How dare you!!!! Don’t you blaspheme here!!

Last season was awesome but things are a bit more back to earth now. I don’t know if LJ even cracks top 10 QB right now. Aside from the runs thought even Wentz looked better than LJ has looked.

That said – if he’s pushing to pass more , stay home and not run on broken plays – then isn’ t that Lamar being Lamar ? The player last year was Lamar being what Harbs and Roman wanted.
    Well: the player last year was the MVP. It's kinda hard to fault Harbs/Roman for wanting THAT.

There was a great piece on Football Outsiders last year, with tape breakdowns of Lamar running the quick passing game:

Film Room: Lamar Jackson
    by Derrik Klassen, 14 Nov 2019
    https://www.footballoutsiders.com/fi...-lamar-jackson

Does Lamar look like that this year? Maybe in game one v Browns. Otherwise, seems to me that his feet & dropbacks aren't as clean, his reads aren't as decisive, the ball's not coming out on time, etc. He looks like kind of a mess, compared to the composed passer from the gifs in that piece.

Effects of pressure, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Well: the player last year was the MVP. It's kinda hard to fault Harbs/Roman for wanting THAT.

There was a great piece on Football Outsiders last year, with tape breakdowns of Lamar running the quick passing game:

Does Lamar look like that this year? Maybe in game one v Browns. Otherwise, seems to me that his feet & dropbacks aren't as clean, his reads aren't as decisive, the ball's not coming out on time, etc. He looks like kind of a mess, compared to the composed passer from the gifs in that piece.

Pressure should lead to more QB keepers. When the pocket breaks down ...get outa there. If you can throw on the run ..do it. Otherwise you those gifted legs and haul ass. He’s not doing that. It’s like he’s staying home to prove he can. To shut up the nay-sayers. Don’t know for sure but LJ has prob been sacked more this year so far than all of last year?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

As far as MVP ...let’s not forget that his single season rushing record played into that. That single element of his game ...made the offense work so well. We had the luxury of 11 vs 11 football instead of 10 vs 11. And our QB was electric running the ball. Hell he was what ...number 6 on the RB charts? He’s no where near that this year.