Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Another issue i have with the rotation of WRs - specialization

Specialization in football is a bad thing.
    And right now our receivers are highly specialized.
    If Duvernay is in you know its gonna be some type of gadget play and he's likely gonna get the ball.
    Duvernay doesn't run a full route tree and rarely lines up outside the slot. Quick slant-screens, jet sweeps, and some vertical clear outs. Doesn't receive deep targets.
    Miles is the "stop" route, slant guy and bootleg shallow crossers but they don't use double moves nor target him deep within the flow of play.
    Snead runs drags and crossers, doesn't run deep routes or verticals or slants.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Talking about "new WR" = talking about Pryor from me.
    You're out of your mind.

Terrelle Pryor is 31 yrs old, has been out of football for two yearsm and hasn't been good in *SEVEN* years. He's done. He's not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    You're out of your mind.

Terrelle Pryor is 31 yrs old, has been out of football for two yearsm and hasn't been good in *SEVEN* years. He's done. He's not an option.
    He's been mentioning him a lot. Me thinking he's got some personal connection to him.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I think we'll see a change at the bye. Boykin to WR4, Duvernay getting his snaps. I think we saw it down the stretch today (after his awful route at Q3, 01:47).
    Yes oc21, the handwriting's on the wall. It's too soon to tell, but Duv seems to have that electric excitement with the ball in his hands. Hopefully he can create some sort of chemistry with LJ and it will pay off with more WR snaps. Perhaps his 1st receiving TD will do the trick... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    He's been mentioning him a lot. Me thinking he's got some personal connection to him.
    Forreal though. Pryor sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    love Snead, he is a chain mover. He is at least getting more targets that previously
    my point is that he ISN'T getting targets. had 2.8/game last season and 2.5/game so far this season. and 2.5 targets a game is TOO LOW for the player that appears to be the 2nd best WR on the team at the moment (Duvernay and Proche could both pass him with a little more experience, Boykin could theoretically surpass him, but right now he's the second best WR i see out there). and there isn't anything that i can see that's clearly wrong with him to explain it.

and everyone's calling to trade for a WR. would be nice to pick up someone else, but i'm not convinced that would make even a slight difference if they don't even know how to properly utilize what they currently have. teams are having success loading the box to stop the run and bracketing Brown and Andrews. what does that leave? leaves some nice holes. let the vet find some holes for some short gains. force either the secondary to adjust or force the D to cool it on stopping the run. he doesn't have to take the game over. he doesn't need to be getting 10 targets, but jeez they barely have to defend him at 2.5 targets a game. we're letting teams stuff the box and bracket andrews/hollywood. we're just letting them do it. and eveyone wants to see more Duvernay or pick apart Boykin or talk WR trade. there's one really easy fix sitting right there and nobody's even mentioning it

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Remember that these numbers "overstate" the effectiveness of the passing offense, because sacks & throwaways aren't included.

Last week: https://forum.russellstreetreport.co...atchers-thru-5

Player Targ Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/Targ
    Willie Snead 15 11 149 13.5 1 9.9
    Marquise Brown 42 26 376 14.5 1 9.0
    Devin Duvernay 12 10 90 9.0 0 7.5
    Mark Andrews 33 20 243 12.2 5 7.4
    Miles Boykin 19 11 122 11.1 0 6.4
    J.K. Dobbins 12 11 74 6.7 0 6.2
    Nick Boyle 11 9 63 7.0 2 5.7
    Mark Ingram 5 3 25 8.3 0 5.0
    Patrick Ricard 4 3 17 5.7 1 4.3
    Gus Edwards 3 0 0 0 0.0

Versus the Phillies, Snead & Boyle & Duvernay were all in double-digits in yards-per-target.

Target Distribution

WR Targ TE Targ RB Targ
    Marquise 42 Mandrews 33 Dobbins 12
    Boykin 19 Boyle 11 Ingram 5
    Snead 15 Ricard 4
    Duvernay 12 Gus 3
    88 44 24
    WR 56.4% TE 28.2% RB 15.4%
    Last Year: 42.9% Last Year: 42.5% Last Year: 14.6%
    Hey Jim, do you have YAC numbers? if not it's no biggie, but i would like to see that if you do. thanks

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Duvernay is being used as an outside running back almost. If Lamar is throwing 1 yard passes to him, he's going to have a high catch rate and hopefully good yac. Duvernay's best plays have been kickoff returns and runs. It's great that Duvernay is serving as a 3rd run option, the Ravens needed one and Duvernay has been good at that, but it seems to me that Boykin might be the best on the Ravens as "catch 40 yard jump ball" guy. And they just don't do that much.

None of this stops the Ravens from getting a 17 point lead pretty quickly and sitting on it.

There really isn't any reason to worry at all.

So many here seem to want to panic after wins, the Ravens are 5-1. The next game, against the Steelers, is one of the toughest of the year. No matter what, I think people will find something to panic about. Will it be a win? I'd guess yes, but there are a handful of games that it wouldn't be a shock if the Ravens lost. There aren't that many teams that are good enough to beat the Ravens. At 5-0, maybe the Steeers are. They haven't yet with Lamar. The Ravens could go 15-1 with people criticizing Boykin after every game.
    These are symptoms of post traumatic Ravens game disorder and nearly having a heart attack after each game. You don't realize how much this effects you until you watch a game with a Patriots fan right now.

Blog Entries

No confidence in deep passes?
    Your guess is as good as mine. But regardless of the reasons (Lamar, Greg, Urban, Culley)...they've got to call them more and throw them when they're called and they're open.

other plays that stood out in the passing game:
    1st play 3Q Miles open on slant (L) Hollywood gets the target (R) drops it -but penalty nullified the play anywayDidn't seem like Lamar
    ever looked left. Did not like the pass either.
    He looked but (remembered that his boy Hollywood was on the other side and quickly got his head around and whipped him the ball ;)

-His footwork on the drop back looked out of rhythm
    -although he looks (L) after the snap he never sets his feet to throw the slant but instead is turning his head from L-R during his drop
    -when he does set to throw he's throwing to Hollywood on the (R)

4Q 3:28 (no one open) but DuV gets shutdown on a comeback {stood out to me because these are Miles bread and butter}
    Haven't gotten here yet.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

10. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Not sure how we want to define "better," but from raw production:

Snaps Yards YPDB TD INT Com Com%
    With 80
    dropbacks
    66.0%
    Without 80
    dropbacks
    55.9%
    Total
    dropbacks
    63.5%

Overall numbers includes 12 sacks for -79 and 10 scrambles for 74. Does not include Koch's fake punt. Numbers through week 5 (haven't confirmed snap counts for today yet).
    Updating after week 6:

Type play_type Plays Yards YPP TD INT Com Att Com%
    With 80
    dropbacks
    65.8%
    Without 80
    dropbacks
    56.6%
    Total
    dropbacks
    62.8%

192 dropbacks = 164 attempts + 15 sacks + 13 scrambles (Koch fake punt excluded)

Type play_type Plays Yards YPP TD
    With 80
    called runs
    Without 80
    called runs
    Total
    called runs

158 called runs + 10 kneels + 13 scrambles = 181 runs (matches PFR)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

11. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    Hey Jim, do you have YAC numbers? if not it's no biggie, but i would like to see that if you do. thanks
    YAC is stupid and everyone has different numbers, so don't take these as gospel (one day nextGen will make their shit available, and they'll be the best source), but here's PFR's numbers (source: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...nced_receiving ):

Player Tgt Rec YBC YBC/R YAC YAC/R ADOT
    Brown
    Andrews
    Boykin
    Dobbins
    Snead
    Duvernay
    Boyle
    Ingram
    Ricard
    Edwards
    -
    -

YBC - yards before catch (Air Yards)
    YAC - yards after catch
    ADOT - average depth of target
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

158 called runs + 10 kneels + 13 scrambles = 181 runs (matches PFR)
    Thanks for doing the runs!