Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Not sure how we want to define "better," but from raw production:
    That yards-per is suggestive. Though it looks like the TD rate is way different.

Any data on rushing numbers with & without him? We hear a lot that he's an excellent and active run-blocker; and we see some of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Not sure how we want to define "better," but from raw production:

Snaps Yards YPDB TD INT Com Com%
    With 80
    dropbacks
    66.0%
    Without 80
    dropbacks
    55.9%
    Total
    dropbacks
    63.5%

Overall numbers includes 12 sacks for -79 and 10 scrambles for 74. Does not include Koch's fake punt. Numbers through week 5 (haven't confirmed snap counts for today yet).
    That works for me.
    I really don't see them reducing Boykin's snaps nor seeing how reducing his snaps would help the passing game as a whole.
    If nothing Boykin has the speed to run the vertical clear out routes. Which make space for the other receivers.
    If I had to single out "a" reason for the passing game struggles thus far is Lamar being off rhythm and undisciplined.
    Fix that and the passing game as a whole improves for everyone Boykin and DuVernay included.
    But, also Roman needs to dial deep more often.

Did you notice the 2 deep shots where Lamar didn't pull the trigger?
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Did you notice the 2 deep shots where Lamar didn't pull the trigger?
    I did not. Who were the receivers?

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    These receivers aren't great by any stretch but I always wonder what their stats would look like in a real offense with elite level QBs running it.
    Imagine if they played with an MVP winning QB that led the NFL in TD passes... then we would all realize that just how good they are! Remember all the great Ravens drafted WR's that left Baltimore and went on to succeed in pass heavy schemes with different QB's!

You got uhhhhhh..... oh yeah that hasn't happened a single time ever, we just have terrible WR scouting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    No.. Get an X Receiver that can start in an NFL offense, we don't have one
    So reduce Boykin's snaps despite not having another X receiver?

Would the passing game benefit from having a true #1 WR?

Absolutely.

But guess what? We don't have one. You can bang on about Boykin but Hollywood deserves far more of the blame then Boykin.

But does this team ‘need’ one? It depends on how you define need.
    Keep in mind as constituted this offense was one of the best in the NFL better then many offenses that have a true #1 WR.

I think this team needs to find their identity.
    I think this team needs to maximize its current talent. I think this team needs to prioritize the regular non-read run game.
    There is no reason why this team can’t run the ball better without relying on read-option or read-option looks.

I think this offense needs to get more production from Dobbins. Imho he’s an elite back, easily the best on the team but he can’t show it until he’s featured as such.

I think the pass game needs to develop its deep passing game. And it needs to develop a viable 3rd receiving option.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

Imagine if they played with an MVP winning QB that led the NFL in TD passes... then we would all realize that just how good they are! Remember all the great Ravens drafted WR's that left Baltimore and went on to succeed in pass heavy schemes with different QB's!

You got uhhhhhh..... oh yeah that hasn't happened a single time ever, we just have terrible WR scouting
    Is it 2019 or is it the worst year ever in 2020? Lamar sure doesn't look like an MVP this year. Maybe if the receivers we drafted had elite QB play early on in their development they would actually be valued by other teams in the NFL?

So between this thread, the game day thread, and other random posts, I've learned the following when it comes to WR:

- The Ravens suck at evaluating WR talent but should have drafted a WR in the first round.

- Lamar is off or injured on every unsuccessful run or bad pass except when those passes go to Boykin. Then it's Boykin just sucks.

- Even though most talk about the Ravens being horrible at drafting WRs, and we supposedly have a bottom 5 WR corp, Duvernay will be a monster. (FYI, I like Duvernay).

- Boykin gets open because he runs bad routes. Apparently DBs will stop covering you if you run a bad route they don't even know is a bad route (this was my favorite comment).

- Ed points out that Hollywood hasn't been that great #1 and nobody comments on it. Considering he has the lowest catch rate of all WRs and isn't running a bunch of deep routes, that shouldn't be. Good thing he gets a bunch of targets instead of just 1 or 2 per game, or fans would really turn on him too.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Lol, he's open because he runs the wrong routes lol. C'mon you've got more to offer then that right?
    And why do people say no offense when they mean offense?
    Look, i don't give a tinkers dam what you think of my film breakdown.
    It unfortunate that you apparently don't understand them.
    But its telling when people can't have a conversation without these antics. It says a lot.
    And we really aren't having a conversation.

You are replying to my posts sure, but you're not really replying to the substance in my posts....you just think rah, rah Boykin is trash. But why? Does he get open? Yes. Does he have a lot of drops? No. Good catch rate? Yes. Good YAC? Yes.
    Yes, he was pretty open today because he got all dicked up and the CB played the ball better than he did. He ran it wrong and it looked like he was open, and kinda was.

I didn’t mean offense, but apparently you’re offended. [edited].

I’m not replying to the substance of your posts because there isn’t one. His catch rate is barely above 50 percent and dominates the snaps comparatively to Snead and Duvernay and they are more efficient with it. You have no statistics for him being open or anything your claiming so let’s not act like you have a trove of facts here.

He doesn’t drop a lot, cool. He drops more than Duvernay and Snead which he gets more time than.

Sweet, the guy kinda has good YAC. Did you happen to see Duvernay truck two dudes for a 1st today?

He brings nothing the other two don’t and yet here you are trying to convince people with a slanted breakdown because you like the guy. The highlight you posted was an out route. A whole out route.
    Last edited by camdenyard; 10-18-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: trolling

Imagine if they played with an MVP winning QB that led the NFL in TD passes – then we would all realize that just how good they are!
    Would you say that the Ravens QB is playing at an MVP, TD-leading level in terms of decision-making and situational awareness and accuracy?

To be fair, Clayton was looking pretty good with the Rams before blowing out both ACLs and retiring

Quote Originally Posted by purple_city39 View Post
    So between this thread, the game day thread, and other random posts, I've learned the following when it comes to WR:

- The Ravens suck at evaluating WR talent but should have drafted a WR in the first round.

- Lamar is off or injured on every unsuccessful run or bad pass except when those passes go to Boykin. Then it's Boykin just sucks.

- Even though most talk about the Ravens being horrible at drafting WRs, and we supposedly have a bottom 5 WR corp, Duvernay will be a monster. (FYI, I like Duvernay).

- Boykin gets open because he runs bad routes. Apparently DBs will stop covering you if you run a bad route they don't even know is a bad route (this was my favorite comment).

- Ed points out that Hollywood hasn't been that great #1 and nobody comments on it. Considering he has the lowest catch rate of all WRs and isn't running a bunch of deep routes, that shouldn't be. Good thing he gets a bunch of targets instead of just 1 or 2 per game, or fans would really turn on him too.
    Then the Ravens wouldn’t have Patrick Queen and the Steelers don’t draft WRs in the first round they actually build a structure that is WR friendly , that’s what the Ravens need to do

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I did not. Who were the receivers?
    DuV-
    3Q - 14:13 Deep Over
    3Q 9:02 Corner

other plays that stood out in the passing game:
    1st play 3Q Miles open on slant (L) Hollywood gets the target (R) drops it -but penalty nullified the play anyway
    4Q 3:28 (no one open) but DuV gets shutdown on a comeback {stood out to me because these are Miles bread and butter}

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    What happened on that play?
    Miles runs a vertical from the #1 spot (L)

-Lamar takes a 1 step drop and throws a dart to the (L) sideline ~2 yards past the sticks.

-Miles keeps running his vertical route never makes any move to break his route short he's running a vertical all the way

-Lamar throws the pass before any of the receivers in the progression have made their break

AND if Miles is running any type of stop route on the (L) sideline that means that Andrews out/over route would have been headed right for him and they would have been within ~5 yards of each other

The route concept looked similar to the TD pass to Snead, Miles on the clear and Andrews runs Snead's route