Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
  1. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I hate this play. Maybe because no one won on their route, but man, help your guys out!
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

2. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Thanks for doing the runs!
    Happy to! It's always nice when people want the analysis I can do (especially when it's one of the few things that is, as far as I know, unique to me).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Updating after week 6:

Type play_type Plays Yards YPP TD INT Com Att Com%
    With 80
    dropbacks
    65.8%
    Without 80
    dropbacks
    56.6%
    Total
    dropbacks
    62.8%

192 dropbacks = 164 attempts + 15 sacks + 13 scrambles (Koch fake punt excluded)

Type play_type Plays Yards YPP TD
    With 80
    called runs
    Without 80
    called runs
    Total
    called runs

158 called runs + 10 kneels + 13 scrambles = 181 runs (matches PFR)
    Thanks man.
    Question: your first set of stats had ypdb then second had ypp. Do they mean the same thing?

Blog Entries

I hate this play. Maybe because no one won on their route, but man, help your guys out!
    Lol, not the most creative play design there. You got 2 of the fastest WRs in man to man coverage with a middle of the field FS. At least send them both deep and take your chances throwing opposite of the midfield FS.

But even if you’re gonna call mirrored out/comeback routes maybe at least put the WR on the field that actually wins on those routes?

5. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Thanks man.
    Question: your first set of stats had ypdb then second had ypp. Do they mean the same thing?
    Yes. Yards per play/yards per dropback (all the plays in that set are dropbacks).

Lol, not the most creative play design there. You got 2 of the fastest WRs in man to man coverage with a middle of the field FS. At least send them both deep and take your chances throwing opposite of the midfield FS.

But even if you’re gonna call mirrored out/comeback routes maybe at least put the WR on the field that actually wins on those routes?

And that's the defense they should be preparing for, right? Single coverage outside, single safety high, 2 guys clogging the middle of the field. Defenses know to take away Andrews on 3rd&long. Ravens need to counter punch and make that option undesirable. They've shown some ability to attack in other ways (Boykin out (Q1, 11:57), Duvernay screen (Q1, 10:09)), but like you say, why is the player who runs one of the routes you need not on the field here? (Answer: because he ran the wrong route three series ago and you pretty much stopped playing him)

Roman's coaching of the RBs in the passing game is hampering this offense.

Who's the RB here? I'm having trouble making out the number. Is it Gus? Whoever, he serves no purpose in the pass-pro. There's no potential blitzer on that left side; and Stanley doesn't need any help on his rusher. There IS a potential blitzer on the other side, head-up on Andrews, with a safety doubling over top. But the back doesn't look that way; and anyway if that guy crosses Andrews face to blitz, Andrews is instantly open and can race #23 to the marker.

The back should flare away from the scrum at the snap and make himself available immediately, so Lamar has a place to go with the ball. The way the DBs drop off, this is a cheap & easy first down. JT O'Sullivan called this out last season in a video, how the backs don't help out in the passing game. This play is a striking example.

Seems like Roman's backs look for work as blockers. Which is admirable. But if they looked for work as receivers on plays like this, the offense would run smoother and stay on the field longer.

By the way, does Stanley get an early start on the snap?

(Answer: because he ran the wrong route three series ago and you pretty much stopped playing him)
    Is that true? Was Boykin quasi-benched after his fuck-up along the left sideline?

Dammit. "One strike and you're out" is no way to develop a player. Guys need to play thru their mistakes. It's called "learning".

8. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Roman's coaching of the RBs in the passing game is hampering this offense.

Who's the RB here? I'm having trouble making out the number. Is it Gus?
    If this is (Q4, 03:30), then yes, it's Edwards. I have nothing but agreement to add regarding the RBs.

I think Stanley timed his movement almost perfectly. Much clearer from EZ (you have Game Pass, right?).

Is that true? Was Boykin quasi-benched after his fuck-up along the left sideline?

Dammit. "One strike and you're out" is no way to develop a player. Guys need to play thru their mistakes. It's called "learning".
    I certainly can't say for sure. After the mistake (Q3, 01:47), the Ravens ran 16 competitive snaps (plus 2 kneels). WRs on those snaps:
    • Brown - 14
    • Snead - 9
    • Duvernay - 8
    • Boykin - 2

I'd have to check to be sure, but I think late game run-out-the-clock situations are typically Boykin/Snead. They did drop back to pass on half of the snaps though.

Even if there was a change in usage, Boykin was on the injury report. It's not like JH is going to tell us anything he doesn't have to on that front.

But if he was benched, I'm not sure we can say it was only one strike. I'm sure we can all remember multiple negative plays recently, and we might not have seen some others (looks like I've got a theme tonight). And I'm more ok with a quicker leash in close games (different if it was 49-10 instead of 30-14 and then 30-22).

But if he was benched, I'm not sure we can say it was only one strike.
    One strike in the game.

(So far as we can tell ,anyway.)

there's no learning and development in the NFL, guys either have it or they don't.

11. Re: Ravens pass-catchers at the bye

Q1 3:25 or 26 in this game – don't you think it's Proche who's targeted?

Ball is tipped by a defender over Proche, then caroms off Duvernay's hands at the next level falls incomplete (nearly intercepted). I think the target here is assigned to Duvernay, officially. Seems like a mistake to me.
    Coming back to this because I just watched it on a22. This was a weird scramble type play, which led to the receivers being stacked. Brown's initial route looks like a slant (4 steps than a cut to MoF). Duve is running a 5 yard in or a curl. Lamar might have actually checked into an RPO here?* Anyway, ball doesn't come out quickly, Lamar has to scramble left, and the receivers end up going to the same X coordinate with ~6 yards between them.

* - He moves Dobbins from pistol to gun left, fakes the handoff, and everyone but Stanley blocks right. The play is there too, but Barnett gets inside of Stanley and is nearly on top of Lamar when he leaves the mesh. Lamar steps around to the left and breaks the pocket, but the MLB follows and cuts off Brown's route.

Blog Entries

Stealth Boykin Thread.

John Taylor lined up across from Jerry Rice and still made game changing plays. Greatest wide receiver ever and the guy across from him was still a baller.

Over here, 30 years later, we have a shitty #2 and people want to make fucking excuses for a dude who can’t catch a cold after 22 games.