Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sam Koch

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Sam Koch

I figured if Bernie Parmalee could have a thread, so could our punter of 15 years.

Record hang time: Ravens punter went from comp pick to legendary longevity :

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-...dary-longevity

" After losing Dave Zastudil to the Cleveland Browns in free agency (2006), Ravens director of college scouting (and now general manager) Eric DeCosta told then-special teams coordinator Frank Gansz Jr. to find a new punter. DeCosta didn’t care how long it took or how many he needed to see. He just wanted his top punter, and he’d find a spot to take him. "

" “I split the difference and took him in the sixth,” DeCosta said, referring to the 203rd overall selection that year, which was a compensatory pick. “The coaches were worried we would not get him, but we did. I always thought it was cool that we drafted a punter and he was non-combine, and he was the best one.” "

Interesting that DeCosta had a hand in it. BTW, Koch is not only a great punter (well worth his contract), but he's 7 for 7 passing, and is our holder for FGs as well... Bc

Re: Sam Koch

"It's gonna be a problem. Whether Lamar Jackson runs it or not, it's gonna be a problem."
    - Brian Baldinger

He can also run the rock. (3 rushing TDs in his career.)

And because he's good at his job, he doesn't have to make many tackles. But when he does, he lays some lumber. The guy is an all-around athlete.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHpAPd_bsY
    "Not bad for a running back."

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I swear there was a play against the Bengals about 10 years ago where he blew up the returner along the sideline. Just knocked him into next week; the guy flew about 3 yards in the air, one of the best ST tackles I've ever seen. But I've never found video of it.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Maybe I'm imagining it, but I swear there was a play against the Bengals about 10 years ago where he blew up the returner along the sideline. Just knocked him into next week; the guy flew about 3 yards in the air, one of the best ST tackles I've ever seen. But I've never found video of it.
    No, you're not imagining it. I remember that as well, and thought it would be included in that video I linked. Disappointed it wasn't; it was his best tackle ever.
    "Not bad for a running back."

Blog Entries

Billick used to call Dave Zastudil "the weapon". He was so good that they knew he would be expensive to keep and it killed Billick to let him hit the free agency market and go to a division rival. Little did he know that Zastudil's replacement would be even better! Funny how things work out.

I love Sam Koch and appreciate the team spending the cap space to keep him around. About 5 years every article on the cap was how much money they would save cutting Koch. That didn't happen and the Ravens have been much better for it. Ravens special teams have been among the best in the NFL for a decade now and Koch is a major reason why
    Long Live The Bat

i read a Sam Koch article (or maybe it was a video?) awhile ago that went into the different things he does. the article made it sound somewhat revolutionary rhat he had like 15 (guessing based on memory) different "kicks" the way a pitcher has a couple different pitches (fastball, slider, etc.). it didnt go into detail about each one. maybe one day during an offseason i'll try to find a list of tjem or go through the film trying to spot different ones. every offseason i plan on digging into ST a little more so those plays arent just boring plays every week but i never do.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    No, you're not imagining it. I remember that as well, and thought it would be included in that video I linked. Disappointed it wasn't; it was his best tackle ever.
    The returner probably expected him to go low like most punters that hate to tackle so he preemptively tried to hurdle him and of course Koch is built like a real football player and hit him with a real upper torso tackle and just cleaned his clock.

9. Re: Sam Koch

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I also remember something like this. Don't think it was against the Bengals though. Per PFR, Koch has 14 career tackles. I watched all the tackles that Game Pass has video for (back to 2009), and I didn't find it. He had 6 tackles before then: 2006 wk 4 (SD) and 11 (ATL), 2007 wk 9 (PIT) and 16 (SEA), 2008 wk 5 (TEN) and 15 (PIT).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    i read a Sam Koch article (or maybe it was a video?) awhile ago that went into the different things he does. the article made it sound somewhat revolutionary rhat he had like 15 (guessing based on memory) different "kicks" the way a pitcher has a couple different pitches (fastball, slider, etc.). it didnt go into detail about each one. maybe one day during an offseason i'll try to find a list of tjem or go through the film trying to spot different ones. every offseason i plan on digging into ST a little more so those plays arent just boring plays every week but i never do.
    https://youtu.be/5oZYO0FbZ_A

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Sam Koch

How Sam Koch Epitomizes What It Means to Be a Raven :

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...-to-be-a-raven

" Koch is about to play in his 230th regular-season game, setting the Ravens' all-time games played mark and surpassing two men who would immediately jump to mind when thinking about what it means to be a Raven Terrell Suggs (229 games) and Ray Lewis (228 games). "

... Bc

Blog Entries

Many years ago I heard a great interview with Ray Guy. He said that in his day punters were all about hang time and distance and nothing else. Guy was the absolute master of that but he realized that directional punting was a way for him to drop it in the 20 and that way much more important than just distance. Guy spoke about punts being designed for different situations being the ultimate goal. I bet Ray Guy is loving what Sam Koch has done.
    Long Live The Bat