Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: What is Stanley Worth?

I don't think you ever let an all-pro LT go. Everyone speaks to Lamar's mobility as somehow negating the need for a great offensive line or LT. It didn't work out that way for Russell Wilson, and he is a better passer. Seattle now has a decent offensive line and Wilson and co. are thriving.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    No I get it. I just find it hard to believe that the Ravens would let it come to that and if they did, Stanley seems like the worst kind of player to do it with. Never been a problem and plays a position for which there is a very limited supply of great players. It sends all kinds of bad messages to the team, your franchise QB and everyone else around the league. Yes, BOB fucked up the curve with the Tunsil deal, but that's not Ronnie's fault. Him and his agent will take advantage of that as they should. They will also have to factor in the lowered cap. My guess is his deal will beclose in value to Tunsil, but structured differently.

Bell had already missed time with major injuries and played a position that the NFL is devaluing financially, even if Pitt was using him as the biggest part of their offense. LTs are an apex position on every NFL team and are not being devalued, even if you have a mobile QB. It's actually magnified when you have a freak like Lamar. The team needs to do everything they can to protect him. The way he plays makes him a QB+...almost like he plays multiple skill positions.

Yeah, Stanley would lose the 16 million if he sat out whole season. But, assuming he kept himself in shape, that following year, with a rising cap, what LT would be available via the draft or free agency that would be a hotter commodity than him? Meanwhile, who would be protecting LJ for that year? What would he think about the team's priorities and direction if they were to vastly weaken his blindside protection in his contract year?
    If Tunsil’s contract remains a sticking point during negotiations, I don’t believe the Ravens would be out of line reminding Stanley that he averages playing in 14 regular season games due to his injuries which is why they don’t want to meet the demand and pay for games that his history says he won’t be available to play in.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    If Tunsil’s contract remains a sticking point during negotiations, I don’t believe the Ravens would be out of line reminding Stanley that he averages playing in 14 regular season games due to his injuries which is why they don’t want to meet the demand and pay for games that his history says he won’t be available to play in.
    That seems like a perfectly fair negotiating tactic. Stanley's agent would naturally counter with, despite that, he's still a better tackle than Tunsil - who also has missed games. Stanley has missed 3 more games than Tunsil over the course of their careers...but not all of Tunsil's games were at LT.

Not really apples to apples. Bell was a used up RB, Stanley is an All Pro LT. I highly doubt he would let himself go like Bell did if he were to sit out. Also, the same way you don't let a ALL PRO CB go, you don't let an ALL PRO LT go. ..
    I agree they won't let him go. But that doesn't mean they won't franchise him.

They are currently using the tag on a Pro Bowl pass rusher. And the vast majority of players, like Judon, accept the tag and play. If a player at a valuable position continues to play well, the tag is actually beneficial to players. They get a large lump sum in one year, and then still get to sign a big contract the following year. The only downside is if, like Dak, you get injured and your value decreases.

Players have to decide how important security is to them. If Stanley wants a long-term deal, there is a number right now that he could give to the club where they would sign him. No doubt about it. He wants more than that number. Which he should. But the more aggressive he is in negotiations, the more likely it is that the Ravens use the tool they have at their disposal: the franchise tag.

Whether Stanley signs a deal now, or next year, or the year after, he's still going to get paid a shit-ton of money if his health and level of play remain consistent.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Stanley is not getting over $20M per season when we can franchise him twice for under that number. The tag for an OL is $14m this year, at most goes to $15m next year and + 20% would be $18m for year 2. So we can essentially have him at 2 yrs $33m and if they wanted to tag him for a 3rd year it would be just under $26m or 3 yr $59m, So we could franchise tag him 3 straight years and still be under the $20m per year. The Ravens have all of the leverage here.

Trade him for two 1st round picks.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I agree they won't let him go. But that doesn't mean they won't franchise him.

They are currently using the tag on a Pro Bowl pass rusher. And the vast majority of players, like Judon, accept the tag and play. If a player at a valuable position continues to play well, the tag is actually beneficial to players. They get a large lump sum in one year, and then still get to sign a big contract the following year. The only downside is if, like Dak, you get injured and your value decreases.

Players have to decide how important security is to them. If Stanley wants a long-term deal, there is a number right now that he could give to the club where they would sign him. No doubt about it. He wants more than that number. Which he should. But the more aggressive he is in negotiations, the more likely it is that the Ravens use the tool they have at their disposal: the franchise tag.

Whether Stanley signs a deal now, or next year, or the year after, he's still going to get paid a shit-ton of money if his health and level of play remain consistent.
    Well said. I believe Stanley and the Ravens both have a number they are willing to accept. If they can agree, he signs long term. If not, he’s franchised and discussion continues after franchise tag year. I agree the Ravens won’t let him go, but they also will not go above what they determine his value is, whether that is matching Tunsil, a little more than Tunsil, or a little less than Tunsil—-only EDC knows. Then Stanley decided whether to bet on himsef or take the long term security

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post

If they're high enough, that's what I'd want. Something similar to Tunsil and Ramsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Brtnder81 View Post
    Stanley is not getting over $20M per season when we can franchise him twice for under that number. The tag for an OL is $14m this year, at most goes to $15m next year and + 20% would be $18m for year 2. So we can essentially have him at 2 yrs $33m and if they wanted to tag him for a 3rd year it would be just under $26m or 3 yr $59m, So we could franchise tag him 3 straight years and still be under the $20m per year. The Ravens have all of the leverage here.
    That ignores the fact that using the tag ties up that entire amount of money for that year. Yes, it may be "cheaper" than a new deal but the mechanics of it give some leverage back to the player. Bonus money is pro-rated and spread out over the life of a deal, which effectively makes the cap hit lower than the franchise tag would be. If you are planning to keep him for 3 or more years anyway, you sign a new deal and use the benefit of the cap savings towards other team needs. Your proposal results in a 3 year 59m contract - that's 19.5 a year. So why not just do that?

Blog Entries

That ignores the fact that using the tag ties up that entire amount of money for that year. Yes, it may be "cheaper" than a new deal but the mechanics of it give some leverage back to the player. Bonus money is pro-rated and spread out over the life of a deal, which effectively makes the cap hit lower than the franchise tag would be. If you are planning to keep him for 3 or more years anyway, you sign a new deal and use the benefit of the cap savings towards other team needs. Your proposal results in a 3 year 59m contract - that's 19.5 a year. So why not just do that?
    I'd be fine with doing that deal, but it's not me that has to agree to that deal. EDC has tried to make cap hits more flat that what Ozzie used to do with back loading, so I don't think the numbers I mentioned would be too far off for the first 3 years a a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post

Yes....those 1st round picks could be anything! Even a really good LT!

As much as I'd enjoy having a couple of (Top 10) 1st round picks to play with come Draft time, the Ravens' current OL doesn't fill me with confidence if they are also going to miss Stanley.