Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: It’s time for Ben Powers

Mekari took someone's soul on the Dobbins run

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Yeah to me there's some sample issues there. 14/16. 1 admittedly ticky tack hold and 1 pressure (which isn't good). I dont know how that comes out poorly.
    The hold crushes his grade in Ken's system. If you take out the hold, Powers' raw grade doubles – goes higher than Mekari's raw grade (though I don't know what Ken's adjustments might do).

I'll take a guy making 14/16 blocks lol. Espeically when really only 1 is a missed block.
    That's my impression too.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Man I thought run blocking looked outstanding across the entire line. 6.7 YPC.. and none of that was Lamar. I don't understand that low run block grade from either one.
    Makati missed some blocks in zone. Bozeman also had a rough day in run blocking.

The RBs played well though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Makati missed some blocks in zone. Bozeman also had a rough day in run blocking.

The RBs played well though.
    To be honest any guard that comes here really has their work cut out for them. We have speed with Lamar and at the RB position with Dobbins. I just want guys that are light enough on their feet to get down field. I want more zone and guys that are fit for ZBS.

To be honest any guard that comes here really has their work cut out for them. We have speed with Lamar and at the RB position with Dobbins. I just want guys that are light enough on their feet to get down field. I want more zone and guys that are fit for ZBS.
    Well we have a lot of gap players right now.

The scheme is blended, but in 2019 it was primarily option or powers. Did run zone read within the options, but also a lot of power option.

Regardless, you still need to get to L2 in gap looks (duo and power). We need to do a better job of that. Phillips has the tools, but I think no preseason is hurting him more than just about anyone.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Well we have a lot of gap players right now.

The scheme is blended, but in 2019 it was primarily option or powers. Did run zone read within the options, but also a lot of power option.

Regardless, you still need to get to L2 in gap looks (duo and power). We need to do a better job of that. Phillips has the tools, but I think no preseason is hurting him more than just about anyone.
    I was going over some of his college tape and I think there's potential for Phillips at tackle. Kids strong as an ox. Still not sold on him as a guard though that's gonna take convincing for me

I was going over some of his college tape and I think there's potential for Phillips at tackle. Kids strong as an ox. Still not sold on him as a guard though that's gonna take convincing for me
    It’s there. He has to change his technique. Like I said we’ve already seen signs of it but it’s not an overnight process. He was an inexperienced kid to begin with.

He has a chance to be like KO was. Same frame, I also think they have a similar mentality. But he’s got a lot of work to do technically and of course the mental side is something KO excelled at and Phillips is struggling with.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I am not a fan of Mekari either or Skura for that matter. I want the Ravens to trade for Alex Mack from the Falcons to play Center and start Powers at RG. I like Phillips, but think he needs a year of conditioning and development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iSN'T MACK AN AARP ALL-STAR?
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    iSN'T MACK AN AARP ALL-STAR?
    Mack is 34 and will be 35 next month, but he is still a very good Center. The Ravens got Matt Birk near the end of his career, and that turned out well for them. I am not saying that Mack is the long term answer at Center, but he could really help the Ravens for this year and next year until the Ravens develop a Center.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Mack is 34 and will be 35 next month, but he is still a very good Center. The Ravens got Matt Birk near the end of his career, and that turned out well for them. I am not saying that Mack is the long term answer at Center, but he could really help the Ravens for this year and next year until the Ravens develop a Center.

What do you think we can get Mack for? I'd do a 6th

Blog Entries

What do you think we can get Mack for? I'd do a 6th
    That might be enough. I think he is a FA after this season. I doubt the Falcons are planning on resigning him since they will be rebuilding. Mack would immediately improve the play of the Ravens IOL.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Getting Mack would be smart. I have been screaming for three years that we need a high quality iOL for the day when Yanda would be gone. Since Birk in 2012 we have had one good year out of Jensen and otherwise only mediocrity or worse at Center. Ozzie and EDC had/have a hubris problem when it comes to the iOL, i.e. "we can develop what we need". They are good at it, but the ceilings of the late round guys and UDFAs are real and sobering, especially when they are playing next to other guys who are nothing special. Why do they have to rely on Skura coming off his gruesome injury? Ozzie tried hard to get Mangold in 2017, so Ozzie understood. Now EDC has a chance, maybe, to get what we really need for one and half years, in Mack. Framed by Stanley-Mack-O Brown, Bozeman and Phillips could blossom quicker and play well with more consistency.

Just do it.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)