Page 279 of 279 FirstFirst ... 277278279
Results 3,337 to 3,340 of 3340

Re: Election Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Still a private business. That’s my point.

If Walmart decided to stop serving Black folks, they’d get sued, they’d be ridiculed, they’d be boycotted, they’d be cancelled...

But I don’t think the government should have the power to tell any private business who they can or cannot do business with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is an argument for that, except it’s not the current stance of the govt.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Still a private business. That’s my point.

If Walmart decided to stop serving Black folks, they’d get sued, they’d be ridiculed, they’d be boycotted, they’d be cancelled...

But I don’t think the government should have the power to tell any private business who they can or cannot do business with.

Marsh v. Alabama, a private business was found in violation of the 1st Amendment. That was just a small town, not a massive online public space that exists exclusively for speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_v._Alabama
    The State attempted to analogize the town's rights to the rights of homeowners to regulate the conduct of guests in their home. The Court rejected that contention, noting that ownership "does not always mean absolute dominion." The court pointed out that the more an owner opens his property up to the public in general, the more his rights are circumscribed by the statutory and constitutional rights of those who are invited in.

In its conclusion, the Court stated that it was essentially weighing the rights of property owners against the rights of citizens to enjoy freedom of press and religion. The Court noted that the rights of citizens under the Bill of Rights occupy a preferred position. Accordingly, the Court held that the property rights of a private entity are not sufficient to justify the restriction of a community of citizens' fundamental rights and liberties

Based on that case, it seems pretty clear Twitter and Facebook's policies of shadowbanning, de-boosting, and their censorship are 1st Amendment violations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack View Post
    Marsh v. Alabama, a private business was found in violation of the 1st Amendment. That was just a small town, not a massive online public space that exists exclusively for speech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marsh_v._Alabama
    Now that is super interesting and highly relevant to the current social media debacle.

Thanks for posting.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.