Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Realistic trade targets

Will Fuller maybe but I think Houston would be crazy to trade another one of Watsons receivers. That said he’s in last year of his contract and not sure how bad Houston wants to pay for such an injury prone player

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    This is a realistic trade target. Aging vet from a bad team out of contention
    In the last year of his contract no less
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Tough to say, best right now is possibly Kerrigan.

Realistic would be someone that's getting paid, or is about to, on a team that's already on to next season.

Someone like Marvin Jones from Detroit or Golden Tate from New York. Maybe Westbrook or Cole from Jacksonville. I can't think of many more - none of the bad teams have good WRs they're going to let go.

Ionidis or Kerrigan from Football team or literally any TE 2 in the league would also fit the bill.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Ryan Kerrigan is a realistic trade target as long as we don't give up too much, 6th rounder that upgrades to a 5th rounder if certain conditions are met.
    Very realistic. I'm not sure he fits in well with what the WFT wants to do. Their front 7 is all about speed on the edge. That's not Kerrigan. He has about 5 tackles on the season. I could them moving him as the season moves on

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    ...I've seen a number of posts about trades for people like Michael Thomas, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Yannick Ngakoue. All these are a long shot--who are the real trade targets, like how last year no one was thinking Marcus Peters, everyone had the Jalen Ramsey pipedream...lol.
    In order to define "realistic" there needs to be a few factors (with the assumption that the Ravens would trade for a player that would make the team better):

1. The player can actually fit in the Ravens cap at the trade deadline which effectively rules out JJ Watt, Ryan Kerrigan, and Julio Jones.

2. The player should be a position that the Ravens could upgrade at like OG, S, WR, OLB/DE.

3. There needs to be a reason that the team would trade them whether that be that the team is unable to contend with their current roster or they have a horrendous cap situation looming. Think teams like Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Rams for bad cap situations and Jags, Jets, WFT for unable to contend.

4. They can't be in the same division/also in AFC in running for the SB. Which rules out teams like the Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Chiefs, Patriots, Titans, etc...

Where does that leave us:

WR:
    Michael Thomas- Base salary 1 mil on Saints (bad cap) and can fit in Ravens cap situation and fills a need.
    DJ Chark- Base salary 880k on Jags (bad team) and can fit in Ravens cap situation and fills a need.
    Jameson Crowder- Base salary 8.5 mil (reduced by 5/16ths to ~6mil) on Jets (bad team) and again fits in Ravens cap (barely).
    Alshon Jeffrey- Base salary 9.9 mil (reduced by 5/16ths to ~7mil) on Eagles (bad cap)
    DeSean Jackson- Base salary 6.2 mil on Eagles (bad cap)

OLB/DE:

Brandon Graham- Base salary 1.3 mil on Eagles
    Derek Barnett- Base salary 2.2 mil on Eagles
    Ryan Anderson- Base salary 1.1 mil on WFT (bad team)

OG:
    Nick Easton- Base salary 4.5 mil on Saints
    Andrew Norwell- Base salary 9 mil on Jags

That covers a good chunk of the worthwhile players that could be traded. I'm sure there's more, but, ultimately how I look at is look at desperate teams in bad financial positions (like the Rams are every year and that's how we got Peters) or bad teams (like the Jags and that's how the Rams got Ramsey). Then look at players that the Ravens can actually afford. The intangible thing is whether or not the team would trade the players in question, but, as we have seen in many years of football no football player is untradeable.

Did you really just suggest that Kerrigan’s roughly $8m remaining salary makes him unreasonable, but the Saints eating $27m to trade the best WR in football IS realistic?

Pass the Dutchie to the left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Did you really just suggest that Kerrigan’s roughly $8m remaining salary makes him unreasonable, but the Saints eating $27m to trade the best WR in football IS realistic?

Pass the Dutchie to the left...

The Ravens have ~9 mil in cap pre Earl Thomas arbitration which would reduce it by 4 mil. I am looking at current year cap which would be 5 mil. The likely scenario is they don't have enough money to trade for anyone, but, Thomas or Chark could fit under the current cap easier than Kerrigan could.

Quote Originally Posted by chartman View Post
    The Ravens have ~9 mil in cap pre Earl Thomas arbitration which would reduce it by 4 mil. I am looking at current year cap which would be 5 mil. The likely scenario is they don't have enough money to trade for anyone, but, Thomas or Chark could fit under the current cap easier than Kerrigan could.
    Greed, but realistic has two sides and the Saints are stuck with Thomas for at least two more years... after this one.
    Scratch that, they could actually save a couple of dollars to cut him post June 1st next year, but that’s a dumb move. The following year they would actually save $7-8m by trading him. So 2 more years until it’s realistic, though next year has a theoretical out.

Quote Originally Posted by chartman View Post
    Kerrigan can easily fit under the cap.
    Bleed Purple but don't be a homer

Teams don't trade their best players there won't be any trade out there that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Kerrigan can easily fit under the cap.
    Yeah, there is a few ways to accomplish that.

A. Agree on say a 5th rounder as comp... up it to a 4th if they pay $3m of his remaining salary.

B. Trade for him, squeak him under the cap for 5 minutes, extend him for a 3 year $26m contract with $6m guaranteed at signing, shaving that off the remainder of this years salary. $8m salary next year, $10m the following year, cap hits $2m higher each year, $4m to cut him next year, $2m the following year.