Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I'm confident you haven't read anything by those who came up with the concept or talk about. Your comments suggest you only read things that fit into your worldview.

This thread has a lot of white fragility in it. The OP is very much so. The very first link is stupidly labeled as someone saying math is racist, but that's not at all what the author at the link argues. Instead, he argues that systemic racism is pervasive enough that using mathematical models to map out crime hotspots uses data in which systemic racism is baked in.

The reflexive rejection of any idea because it hurts one's feelings is the fragility being discussed in White Fragility. There's a lot of Critical Race Theory nonsense in it, and a lot of bad arguments. But she's right a lot of white people are extremely uncomfortable and get very defensive when talking about race issues.

I mean, can you believe there are people stupid enough to think our history doesn't still have effects today? We still live with echoes from the Roman Empire. Our history is barely long enough to be called history. A grandson of John Tyler, the tenth President of the United States, just passed away last month.
    Total tangent but a quarter of this country’s history is enough data to suggest climate change when the planet is 4.5 billion years old?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jonboy79; 10-10-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

That school must have been majority black if that was the case. What was it, 70 or 80 percent?

When do you think that started? The "identity politics"?
    Obama?
    It may have started before, but it ramped up massively during his term.

The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

That school must have been majority black if that was the case. What was it, 70 or 80 percent?
    We had 86 of 11k, 68 of which were full scholarship athletes, the other 18 academic scholarships. The lowest of which had a 960 SAT score.

They paid for diversity, plain and simple.

I know the numbers from memory because we were in sports illustrated “by the numbers” at the time.

5. Re: The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    We had 86 of 11k, 68 of which were full scholarship athletes, the other 18 academic scholarships. The lowest of which had a 960 SAT score.

I know the numbers from memory because we were in sports illustrated “by the numbers” at the time.

If it was a private school I should think you have no issue with it. Certainly no more than you would with a bakery being able to decide who they will bake wedding cakes for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBasedFan View Post
    Its discrimination for a private university (business) to decide that GPAs are not the top criteria for admission to their school?

Id like to see someone show me where GPA is the only basis for admission by law. I believe Bakie vs Cal was decided on this very issue.

Gruder vs Ballinger (2003) ruled racial quotas in college admissions unconstitutional (SCOTUS).
    If SATs and GPA don’t determine what your merit. What does?

Blog Entries

So they weren't just passing out free college to blacks willy-nilly, and most of it was to prop up athletics.

8. Re: The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    If SATs and GPA don’t determine what your merit. What does?
    Whatever that school decides it is. That is the right of a private institution. Could be religious afflliation. Do you think an openly trans person is going to be welcomed into liberty university regardless of their GPA.?

If it was a private school I should think you have no issue with it. Certainly no more than you would with a bakery being able to decide who they will bake wedding cakes for.
    Never said I had a problem with it, simply didn’t claim it didn’t exist or wasn’t a thing: ..

Just be honest and admit that skin Color overrules merit on almost all things, as long as your skin color isn’t white.

All the talk of this country being systemically racist against blacks, when the reality is that it is vehemently anti white systemically. It is REQUIRED BY LAW to discriminate against straight, cis-gendered,able bodied, non veteran, white males below 40.

So they weren't just passing out free college to blacks willy-nilly, and most of it was to prop up athletics.
    Did you read what I wrote?

No they took random black people that were terrible at basketball and gave them free scholarships so we had diversity at our school.

Our football and basketball team were flat out awful:

They bought diversity, it is what it is. I don’t even really have a problem with it, but it simply is what it is...

Whatever that school decides it is. That is the right of a private institution. Could be religious afflliation. Do you think an openly trans person is going to be welcomed into liberty university regardless of their GPA.?
    Yes for free, no matter their educational merits.
    That is exactly what we are saying. Merely graduate and you are rubber stamped and paid for.

12. Re: The Modern Man's Guide to Avoiding the Pitfalls of Racism

Yes for free, no matter their educational merits.
    That is exactly what we are saying. Merely graduate and you are rubber stamped and paid for.

I think we are talking about 2 different things.

Im saying there can be more to an admission than an SAT or GPA in response to NCRaven/Owlknows comments concerning a 4.0 student getting left out while a 3.8 student is admitted. Owlknows said that was wrongful.