Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Real team needs, Orlando at LT and the future of the young O'line

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Do you? When you may have to LT's on the team?
    OBJ had one decent game against a bad team missing its best pass rusher. Hurst had decent games at LT too. Doesn’t mean he can hold down the position long term.

Blog Entries

I barring a long term injury or drafting a 'franchise LT', I'm signing Stanley.

Pass protection is important for every QB.

Can Lamar mask some OL weaknesses? Sure.

But i'm not going to build an offense predicated on the QB overcoming a bad OL.

I'll cut budget until somewheres else along the OL not at LT.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

3. Re: Real team needs, Orlando at LT and the future of the young O'line

I'll say it again... Are the Ravens rebuilding or are they trying to win a superbowl? Remember after the Chargers loss they released Crabtree and didn't re-sign John Brown. They drafted Brown and Boykins as replacements. Sign Seth Roberts after released by Oakland. Suddenly, Lamar sets rushing record, led the league in touchdowns and had the best record in the NFL. Now they are superbowl contenders! Lose to the Titans in the playoffs. Doesn't resign Roberts and draft Duvernay in the 3rd round. Thats rebuilding to me! If they really were trying to compete for a superbowl, they would have traded for an experienced top of the line receiver to put them over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I barring a long term injury or drafting a 'franchise LT', I'm signing Stanley.

Pass protection is important for every QB.

Can Lamar mask some OL weaknesses? Sure.

But i'm not going to build an offense predicated on the QB overcoming a bad OL.

I'll cut budget until somewheres else along the OL not at LT.
    Ironically OBJ fits the typical Ravens mold of a good not great player (Rick Wagner) that will get a big deal elsewhere.

Which is exactly what the Ravens 'don't have' a DPOTY coming at Ben, Baker and Joe from the Edge. With LJ's talent we don't have to spend a disproportionate amount of cap money on the O'Line. Perhaps there could be a happy Medium. O.Brown regardless what you think of him, protected Baker for years at OU on the left side. Regardless of your view or side of this constructive argument. We are speaking about 2021 and the potential effects. Meaning, Brown is under contract and Stanley isn't. With LJ's deal looming ...
    The fact that Zeus played LT at Oklahoma is pretty irrelevant. He wasn't considered a LT prospect coming in, and he certainly wasn't considered a good one or he would have been drafted much higher.

Now of course, that doesn't mean he CAN'T play LT. But you certainly can't assume he CAN. And LT, even with Lamar back there, is a hugely important position. That's why these guys make tons of money: because they bring a ton of value and help teams win football games.

Here's what we know:
    -- We almost certainly won't be able to keep Brown *and* Stanley after next year.
    -- Stanley is a better LT than Brown.
    -- Stanley will be more expensive than Brown.

The question is, how much better is Stanley, and how much more will he cost? The FO has a year and a half to figure that out, and I think they would be smart to use every bit of it.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Further question is who are you spending this savings on? Elite edge rushers and WRs don't grow on trees. They rarely hit FA. You could try to make a trade, but trades are rare, especially for young, elite pass rushers or young, elite WRs. Sounds good to say let Stanley walk and spend the money on someone but there has to actually be that someone out there.

You look at the guys that could be FA, your Duprees or Barretts or Judons or Clowneys, they have question marks and that's not the kind of player I'm spending a lot of money on. I'd spend on Ngakoue but doubt Minnesota will let him walk.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    I'll say it again... Are the Ravens rebuilding or are they trying to win a superbowl? Remember after the Chargers loss they released Crabtree and didn't re-sign John Brown. They drafted Brown and Boykins as replacements. Sign Seth Roberts after released by Oakland. Suddenly, Lamar sets rushing record, led the league in touchdowns and had the best record in the NFL. Now they are superbowl contenders! Lose to the Titans in the playoffs. Doesn't resign Roberts and draft Duvernay in the 3rd round. Thats rebuilding to me! If they really were trying to compete for a superbowl, they would have traded for an experienced top of the line receiver to put them over the top.
    They were supposedly in on Hopkins to some degree, so they’re not unaware of how much inexperience they’re dealing with at receiver. It looks like another year of being content and hopeful that someone would develop into a go to guy for LJ I guess, or they weren’t prepared to pay the going rate for someone like Diggs when there was a lot to address on the defense. Wouldn’t call it a rebuild though.

Blog Entries

I respect your opinion. My take is Ronnie is an average at best run blocker.
    I'm not an expert, but I've followed Filmstudy's reviews for several years and, by and large, Stanley has always ranked pretty well in the run-blocking department. His athleticism is pretty clear when you see him getting out in space as a blocker. Not a lot of OT's can do that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    It’s simple. You pay all-pro players (Stanley). You let pretty good players walk (Judon). Rinse and repeat.
    Totally agree.

Guys I'm not paying a boatload to right now -
    Bozeman, Skura, Judon, Ferguson, Bowser, Elliot, Ingram, Edwards, and maybe some others.

I also think they dump B-Will after this year. He's expensive and he's average.

Blog Entries

IMO this team needs two things:

1. Elite, #1 WR.
    2. Quick-Twitch, Bendy, Relentless Pass-Rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    OBJ had one decent game against a bad team missing its best pass rusher. Hurst had decent games at LT too. Doesn’t mean he can hold down the position long term.
    The fact that they're a bad team doesn't gloss over the fact that they're a very good D line full of first and second round picks, even without Chase Young.

Doesn’t make any sense. Some of the people discrediting much of anything the Ravens did well yesterday citing the quality of their opponent are now giving accolades to the play of OBJ against the same team.